main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Draft Classic: The Comic Book Draft All-Star Draft

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Your boy Phatlyps steals this match with his prep, even with Nimmy facing such an optimal opponent. Apoc holds his own without the prep, and with it, considering his advanced mind and bundles of tech, wins outright a good majority of the time.

2. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
  3. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    BB and then Fat Lips with the prep. Without it, not so much, but...

4. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Meh. No sense arguing about it now I guess.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Show.

The Wing Kong Exchange8 vs. Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation3

Inadvisably Applied Magic3 vs. The Yak's Inferno 8

10 being the final number.

Ultron (prepared) vs. Super-Skrull

Iron Man (foreit) vs. Baron Mordo (prepped)

Ultron, I do believe.

6. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    All right, I'm calling it.

Wing Kong Exchange, Yak's Inferno. You will advance. Please forward your roster's line up to the umpire in the standard time alloted.

If the Watchmen Babies would like to send in their line up, we will have a third place match. If not, third place is inconsequential anyway, so it doesn't matter.

7. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Numbers in. Do tell me if I did anything wrong.

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Onslaught has been suspended for unsportsmanlike conduct during the playoffs. Sorry.

9. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    The rest of my team didn't follow suit? That's not what we teach here.

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I've convened with... Myself.

I win.

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    So um... Yeah... Do I have an opponent? I'll take the outright win.

12. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I could build a team from the Average Joes Draft for you to face. It would be an Inferno massacre, but it would move things along.

13. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
  14. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
    So whats with the 8 day delay on getting the finale started?

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    My understanding is that whiteeagle is in charge of Durron's team b/c Durron is judging, and has not put a team in. I don't know if Durron is around but I won't really care if he puts his own team in and judges or whatever, or if the team is randomized (or if I'm just declared the winner...) or whatever.

16. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
    Wouldn't it be quicker to just sim the #'s (which would suck considering it is a finals match), or simply find someone who is around to send in the #'s. It's not like there isn't a half dozen or so draft regulars around that would be willing to do it, how about Maxle?

Either option seems to be better than the current situation.

17. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Thank you for your input, valued users.

But today is the first day I've had time to actually update this, and as I'm pretty much the only one who would be judging anyway, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

18. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004

The Wing Kong Exchange vs. The Yak's Inferno

Inadvisably Applied Magic vs. Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation

Fourst number.

Darkseid vs. Juggernaut

Spawn(Hellspawn) vs. Allen the Alien

My votes go to Darkseid and Spawn. If no other votes have been made by late tonight, then so it is written, so shall it be done.

19. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    I say we wait.

But if you really don't wanna, I suppose I'd just end up agreeing anyways.

20. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Ugh. I wanted to avoid this but I guess not... Okay, how does Darkseid beat him?

21. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Between the Omega effect (certainly not after it underwent castration by Loeb) and his psionic stuff? I'd have to say without too much trouble. Knock the helmet off and boo-bam. Done.

Might take him a while to figure it out, but we're talking peak here, no? So yeah, he'd figure it out in short order. That is if Juggs doesn't beat him to the punch and announce it out loud that it's the helmet that protects him, as he often likes to do when first facing off against opponents that try that on him, dunce that he is.

22. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    This is what I'm curious about here... Has he ever mind-controlled someone except for the Daxamite thing? That's the only thing I can find but I could be wrong. That was under very special circumstances.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the omega beams being dumbed down, along with the rest of him, is the only reason he's in this draft at all. Everyone knows he was godlike pre-crisis, everyone has known it. And even though he was never unofficially powered down, he hasn't been the same at all since. Heck, he's taken multiple losses to people below his level.

23. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    And almost all of those losses have been retconned away as being avatars of Darkseid. And with a majority of the rare occasions in which it was actually not an avatar (such as Supes infamously beating him down like he was nothing in that Superman/Batman debacle), it's generally taken with a pretty heavy grain of salt. Maybe not quite as bad as the Spidey/Firelord thing, but still pretty bad.

Darkseid hasn't been "powered-down" nearly as much as you're thinking he's been.

EDIT: I'd realized it after having re-reviewed the Darkseid stuff, but indeed, a very, very good case can be made for tossing Darkseid out of the draft right alongside his Marvel copycat. Thanos beats him character-wise any day of the week, IMO, but is he actually any more powerful? I'd have to say... probably not.

24. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Darkseid's been beaten by Supes, Doomsday, Orion... I think Orion twice... In what seems to me to be a very limited amount of appearances PC. Orion very recently, even if the Supes thing was Superman/Batman crap. And as for avatars, well...

Doomsday vs Darkseid

I find myself agreeing with The Yak here. Doomsday's ability to come back immune or very resistant to whatever beats him is an awesome thing. And Darkseid did (very) temporariliy beat him with those Omega Beams, and then, well, you see the result. After a few nasty hits, he's dragging around the almighty Darkseid by the scruff of his neck like a sack of meal.

And maybe that was an avatar, or whatever, but I'm sorry, I just don't know how we're supposed to judge the "true" Darkseid if we've never really seen him aside from the one instance where he got his ass kicked. Just guess at his level of power?

This was from draft... 5 I think. I agreed wholeheartedly with this, and since then Seid has taken more losses, and his omega beams taken/blocked by more people.

If you want to judge him as godlike and unbeatable go right ahead, but it flies in the face of every prior draft where everyone has known of his once-unbeatable nature, including your own judgments. I just wish someone had told me the draft was getting a retcon. But then again if Darkseid was on my team, or anyone else's, there'd be no retcon. No offense, but that is truth.

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    This is what bothers me. All I ever hear, the entire drafting process, and indeed, the rest of the draft, is how you're going to save a character, and boost them up, and give them all kind of respect, and then, when the matches happen, this is the question you always ask. "How is ___ going to beat my guy?" This is not an argument. This is not boosting your character's stock. how about how does Juggernaut beat Darkseid? How about that? there, My job is done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.