main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Here's some interesting casting news - Claudia Black will be in an upcoming episode.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  3. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Finally watched my first episode of this show and really enjoyed it. Great premise. I must see if I can find the books too.

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    They're all in print, so you shouldn't have a problem. Fun episode tonight. Dresden had some good gags tonight.

5. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I've become quite a fan of the series, which is really kind of funny since I had absolutely no desire to see the show based off of the few commercials/promos I saw in the first place. Not even remotely interested. The only reason I ended up watching it was because I was bored and I guess in a generous mood to give it a shot at it, figuring it was unfair of me to judge it without even seeing it first. Surprisingly, I found that the show wasn't half bad.

After watching two episodes, I went online to get some info about the series, and came across comments from the other fans practically raving over how much better the books were. So I headed to Butcher's site and checked out the sample chapters to see what all the fuss was about and was immediately hooked. Purchases were promptly made. :D

So now I anxiously look forward to watching a show every Sunday that I never thought I'd end up watching. :p With that said, I'm rather eager to see how the upcoming episode (Storm Front) is handled on screen.

- Suz ^_~

6. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    Yeah, they definitely did it right with this series, which is why I'm pretty anxious to see how they adapt the comic Painkiller Jane into a series. I'm really hopeful they can pull it off.

7. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Ah, through the magic of tivo I was finally able to watch this show a couple of weeks ago, and I like it alot! I love Harry, he is pretty funny, and adorable as well. The only thing I don't care for so far is the detective lady whose name I can not remember right now, maybe she will grow on me?

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I was a little on the fence about the last episode -- which was originally supposed to be the pilot. I'm not sure if it was a good idea that it wasn't put in first, because it was very different from the rest of the series, and it wasn't the best episode of the series that I've seen yet.

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Watching the last episode now, interesting stuff. They've really worked on the relationship between Dresden and Murphy, and it really deviates from the books, at least from what I've read thus far.

10. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I really enjoyed the show and hope it gets picked up again.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I'm pretty sure it got decent ratings.

12. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I just caught up with the season, I think I saw them all now. I really started out with not liking Murphy at all, but she has grown on me, I think the episode with her dad did me in. I really like Harry, I like how ordinary he seems, meanwhile he is this powerful wizard, I love that. And Bob, he is great :)

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    He's not really that powerful - compared to the others on the council, he's a smaller player, which is a nice thing - he's a bit more believable.

I'm very glad that they didn't end the season on a cliffhanger.

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Really, I was underwhelmed by the first 2 episodes. Very Ho-Hum, and not very logical.
    Third episode started to pick up. 4th episode is what they should have started with. It did a much better job of setting up the characters and defining the world than the first.

Watching the DVDs...

Any news on a second season?

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't believe that it's coming back...

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, they definately had problems with the series...Episode 8 should have been episode 1... Followed by episode 4, then 1...

Really, I don't know now what they were thinking.
    They took the show an entirely different direction from the books, they tried to drag it closer to the books, and I expect it will drift away again.

Odd.

Started reading book one, then saw the episode based on book one. I'm guessing they don't have very much in common based on what I saw & read.

Anyone else notice the odd cycles of the popularity of supernatural TV shows?

1920s: Supernatural and occult become popular, even though scoffed. Egyptology especially
    1930s: Gimme that Ol' Time Religion comes back with a fury, occult dismissed except for hard-core believers.
    1970s: Occult back in fashion, along with psychotropics
    1980s: Drugs still popular, occult is kind of a joke. Bad horror movie series don't help.
    1992: Forever Knight started up. Highlander Starts
    1996: Forever Knight ends. Buffy Starts.
    2000: Angel starts. Highlander ends.
    2005: Buffy ends. The world needs a few years to recover from the suckage of the last 3 years of Buffy and Angel. Start of The 4400, which sends the world realing in disgust.
    2006: Supernatural, Blade, Dresden, Lost Room, and other supernatural series start. Some good, some bad.

17. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Just a heads up: the Sci-Fi Channel will be airing the original two-hour pilot of The Dresden Files this Friday! [face_dancing]

Unfortunately, it'll be in the wee hours of the morning...not sure exactly when, so check the Sci-Fi website for more info. It's good to have Dresden back on tv, albeit so early.

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Is that the "Storm Front" story, or a different one?

19. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm currently in the middle of Storm Front. Great novel, can't wait to read more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.