main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DS9/B5 Parallel Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Pazuzu, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    From JMS' side there are more than similarities. He actually sued Paraborg and Berman for ripping off the concept of B5 from DS9. I can't remember if this delayed the launch of B5 or not. Perhaps The2ndQuest or somebody else can answer that one for me.

3. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I believe that Straczynski had at first pitched his concept for B5 to Paramount, and that they had rejected it. However, his idea for a sci-fi series set on a space station may have stuck in the minds of the executives, and so DS9 was born! (Maybe I have it wrong...)
    However (and I believe JMS has even stated this), while there may have been a certain level of theft on a corporate level, there wasn't any direct plagiarism on the creative and writing end. True, true, there are any number of parallels between the two shows (Defiant/White Star, no-nonsense female first officers Kira/Ivanova, Prophets/Vorlons, Dominion War/Shadow War, Sisko/Sheridan shuffling off the mortal coil in the finales), but that's probably just a matter of great minds thinking alike (Straczynski/Piller, Behr, etc.), or perhaps both shows happen to (consciously or not) dip into the same myth-pool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.