main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dud Bolt Pit Crew Appreciation Society (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by oqidaun, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Afternoon? Even if I account for a couple of extra hours , did you hop across the pond last night Jon?

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Hello everyone!

I didn't get a chance to answer your questions about homeschooling, Kynstar. So here is a brief rundown.

You can homeschool in every state, just check on your requirements. Now that homeschooling is so popular, you'll have a lot more choice in material. When I started out there were pretty much only religious materials available. Which is fine if that's what you want.

I discovered that kids with ADD (or ADHD) do better with books that are very plain (black and white, no color illustrations). The Amish put out a great series called Rod and Staff. These are particularly thorough because Amish children only attend school through the 8th grade and so must get all the basics in those years. Their books show it. :)

If you want ultra-conservative curricula, go with Abeka (accelerated learning, very colorful) or Bob Jones University (very colorful, more hands on) but both of these are VERY conservative. I found some material that was somewhat objectionable in BJU (racist and a distinct aversion to any religion that is not Protestant).

For me, I liked using public school materials for the most part, though not for math. The weakness in most math books in public schools is that they cover a topic for a chapter and then don't usually review it. I liked a math program that covered ALL the basics in EVERY lesson. So it was Saxon math for us.

Homeschooling is a great opportunity to get to know your kids in a very close way. It's also time consuming and takes the dedication of a full time job. Knowing that upfront helps. :p

Okay, onto other news! :D

I just found out that my father's sister is going to be about three hours away this summer. I've only met her once. And she'll have two of her kids and THEIR kids with her! So I'll get to meet real cousins for the first time in my life! :eek: My mom is an only child, so I've only got relatives on my father's side and since he never saw me since I was less than two years old and he died ten days before my third child was born, I haven't had much in the way of family.

So I'm thrilled that my kids will get to meet some family that they might not get to meet again.

My son's girlfriend is recovering well from her car accident. She's off the painkillers now, but still in the backbrace. :(

My husband is dieting, so he's a bear right now. [face_laugh]

I carry a black purse and tend to use a purse until it is dead and then get another one. I don't collect purses. :p And I keep it fairly small since my husband HATES those big bags. I just stuff it all into a smaller, leather purse. :D

3. AnakinsFavorite

AnakinsFavorite Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2006
    Striker: Aiden's doing well, thank you! [face_love] We just got finnished reading The Kissing Hand. I think he senses we're about to go purse shopping- he's doing a pretty good whine :p

*has Aiden wave hand at Uncle Striker*

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Good morning all! Hi Kim, Jon, AF, et al.

As long as we are talking about babies, Macio did not want to go to sleep ontime last night. He was up til almost 10:30. He has been really consistent to this point. We'll see how it develops.

Have I missed it or can someone tell me the signifigance of the thread title?

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I mistyped, Noelie. [face_blush] Been a while since I did that, too. :oops: How are you and why aren't you at work? ;)

*Waves back at nephew Aiden* :p Ah, purse shopping. I have... no experience in that whatsoever. Have fun and buy something wild!

6. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    You better be enjoying playing Life Wasted and The Trooper in that game... Damn those songs being X-Box exclusives!

Nice to see the social thread back, it really is. I was finally--thank eBay--able to acquire a copy of the comic I was looking for. All I have to do is pay for it and wait for Mile High Comics to ship it out to me.

7. AnakinsFavorite

Apr 10, 2006
    Aiden: I-)

He just dozed off like that. I was holding him in a sitting position with my arm about his chest... and his head just kind of lolled over.[face_love]

8. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    brodiew, if he's teething that could upset his sleeping schedule. :) And they do go through a growth spurt around four months - they'll eat more and and thus sleep less. [face_laugh]

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    brodiew I'm clueless on the title, but think it hilarious [face_laugh]

Thanks for the info MamaVader!! I'll prob do the public home school materials except for the math part. Saxon math I'll keep that in mind. I agree about that...they sure don't (public) do the reviewing bit and that messed me over a lot in school. I was juz about a perfect A student until Geometry was introduced into my life...then Alg II decided it all (my teach said not to even try Trig so guess what? I didn't! [face_laugh] So my last 2 yrs of high school was juz Eng and History the other hours were extra stuff hehehe)

Glad to hear your son's girlfriend is off the pain meds...the brace will be a burden, but hopefully since she's young she'll heal quickly enough to not be in it for to terribly long.

*waves at lil Aiden* Hope the lil feller is doing well!

As for babies... it takes a while before they get the ole 'sleep thru the night' down pack! Took my kid nearly 5 weeks to realize that. But I also had to use the rice formula/powder along with the regular formula after a couple weeks cuz he juz wasn't getting enough. Doc said it was ok, but man... the lil pig!! [face_laugh]

edit: purses... *shudders* dunno juz donna like'em that well. I've had a total of 2 in my entire 34 yrs of life. A small jean looking type and a small black one (required in military; well was for carrying things when I wore my blues) other than that...nadda. And my wallet can contest to that cuz it's so huge!

As for teething, my pup (well fixing to be 12 yr old boy) first teething were 4 at once. Oh my gosh...talk about crying and whimpering...poor thing suffered so. But finally they came thru and he was a gnawer, man did he gnaw on things! [face_laugh] I had to keep the dog's rawhide, cuz he would try to gnaw on that! hehehe guess cuz he saw the dog doing it. Mariahna didn't mind, she'd share but the idea was kids aren't supposed to do that (but she didn't know [face_laugh] )

10. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I have to get ready now. I have a car.. at least for a short time that works enough that I can do that a bit, and perhaps have a little home life. The 10+ hours a day sometimes just kill me off......I know others work harder, but it's been a year of 50+ hour weeks.

Enough complaining! :) I hope you all have a good day!

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Bye, Noelie. *Waves*

Hey, brodiew, I think the title's based on the pit crew droids from TPM. *Hands him some coffee*

12. AnakinsFavorite

Apr 10, 2006
    Perhaps it would be easier to shop for a purse on-line... I wouldn't have to do much walking :p

So. Lazy.

13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for the coffe, Jon.

He wasn't crying or screaming, he was just awake, Kim. :) I'm sure I have the teething and growing to come.

14. CrazyAni

CrazyAni Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2006
    Oh, purses... I have about five of them, but each of them is specific for a special shirt. I'm currently looking for one which I could wear with each shirt, coat and jacket.

Sadly, I can't participate in baby talk. *sighs* But I'm determined to have one as soon as I graduate from that freaking university. The father doesn't know about it yet. :p

15. AnakinsFavorite

Apr 10, 2006
    I bought my red purse thinking that it would clash with everything, but it actually goes with everything :eek: Even church clothes.

16. CrazyAni

CrazyAni Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2006
    Red looks horrible on me. :( But I like my light blue one even though it goes only for one summer shirt.

Well, happy chatting, everyone! DRL calls me...

Edit: I can't type. :( :(

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Maybe he's just a night owl. :p All of my kids were. Cranky and irritable in the morning, but happy little tykes at night. Just AWAKE. 8-} Megan didn't sleep through the night for four months. And then she did it only to tease me. Did it once. And then didn't do it again for MONTHS.

Hmm... Maybe I should go wake HER up tonight. Just for old times' sake! :D

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Did someone mention conservative schools? I don't know anything about that...

Okay, so last week, students and professors (and my cousin Rob's 6-year-old daughter) held a public protest over Dick Cheney being this year's commencement speaker. The fact that BYU had a protest made CNN and newspaper headlines. We've been the "Most stone-cold sober" school in the country 9 years running.

In unrelated news, I went on a date while the thread was down! His name was Jason, he's a Chinese Translation major, we went to the BYU-UCSD volleyball game and it was really fun.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Hey, Ish. How are you? And man, that's kinda freaky. My college had a few drug-related busts happen while I was there. And glad you had fun on your date.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, everyone who comes here and lives in BYU Housing has to live by the very strict Honor Code and we take it seriously. It's pretty cool.

21. AnakinsFavorite

Apr 10, 2006
    In high school, whoever it was who had the locker next to mine was busted for drugs [face_plain] That was not cool.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    That does sound cool, dudette. I was glad I didn't live in the dorms at Mcintosh when it happened. Man, those guys were idiots.

No, AF, that's not cool. [face_plain]

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    We had a guy on the balcony next to us in Pacoima trying to stash his merchandise for drug-dealing on our balcony because no one would suspect the Mormon sister missionaries of possession. We reported him.

Ooh, and my friend Dave just found out that he's going to be a Spanish-speaking missionary in San Fernando, California! Just like me!

24. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Just checking in to say 'hello'. Since this thread is relatively new I thought it might be a good time to get the foot in the door, so to speak.

25. AnakinsFavorite

Apr 10, 2006
    I'd tell you that you aren't wanted here but oqi says I can't (per the first post) [face_mischief]

Just kidding. My name's AF *holds out hand* I don't believe we've met before :)

Edit: I like to kick newbies and spam!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.