main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The **Emerald City Empire** Social Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, NC' started by Dal--Intrepid, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lafjord

Lafjord Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2006
    I'm a spanish major.

w00t

2. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Spanish was my language in high school, but after taking the placement test, I was painfully aware about how little I had learned. So I ended up taking German at UNC.

3. Lafjord

Lafjord Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2006
    aww I've always wanted to take German! I went to Germany when I was nine, but the only thing i knew were the words for porkchops and french fries!

4. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    It's kind of a shame actually that I bailed on Spanish. My mom is Puerto Rican, so I spoke it a lot as a kid, but just sort of quit using it once I got older. My high school Civics teacher took German and said it was easy and just required a lot of spitting. I decided it was a good way to figure out what the Nazis were saying in the Indiana Jones movies.

5. Lafjord

Lafjord Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2006
    That's the best reason for taking German that i've heard yet!

6. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    So my wife and a friend were visiting a few houses on the Parade of Homes this weekend. She's talking to one guy responsible for working on a home theater at one of the houses and somehow Star Wars comes up. The guy suggests another house to check out with a Star Wars home theater over in Brook Valley. Well she's not super-interested in it, but she calls me and of course I say I'll go check it out. The theater is pretty kick-@ss. The room is painted all black which is nice since the guy was running a projector and it was showing ROTJ. On his left side and back wall, he had movie posters from all six Star Wars film framed in black wood frames. On the front wall beside the screen, he had a FX lightsaber mounted on the wall which was kind of cool. Then on the right wall were the cabinets and such. There were a few SW knick-knacks sitting around there. It was a pretty nice room though I think the bulb in the projector had a lot of hours on it because the picture was not as clear, crisp, or bright as I would've expected for such a dark room. Overall though, it was a pretty sweet set up.

7. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    Which one is it in Brook Valley? We looked at a couple of houses in Irish Creek on Sunday and will be looking at more this weekend. Let me know.

Kevin H.

8. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    It was 810 Paddington Drive, but I don't think it is one of the ones that will be open again this weekend since it's privately owned.

If you get a chance, try 606 Ashburton which is in Bedford. Third floor walkup is a giant home theater that is supposed to be awesome! Apparently it is a framed-screen built into the wall with "columns" around it and a "stage" area in front to give it some depth. Angela saw it last weekend and she's taking me back this weekend to check it out. I missed it last weekend because I wanted to see the SW one. The guys from Pair Electronics are the ones that did that theater as well as the SW one. I think most of those guys used to be with Home Systems, but they went out of business last month and now most of the tech help got hired on by Pair.

9. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Saw the Ashburton one. Very, very nice. 110" screen, etc...

I kind of want to do something like that on a smaller scale (my room is only 16' x14'

Ohw well, if you come over at the end of the month, you can at least see the beginning stages of my theater. Like I said, it is technically ready to view, but I still have to do the wood working for it to be completely finished.

Kevin

10. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I missed out on it. We had planned on going Saturday and it just didn't work out. Angela left Sunday morning for a few days for a conference in DC, so I'm playing single dad and didn't want to haul the girls around to houses on Sunday. Sounded like it was sweet though. Looking forward to seeing yours. I'm curious to see how the projector looks.

11. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well I'm working on some pictures for St. James preschool and I see this cute picture of a man with his family, his cheeks stuffed full of some sort of goodies, apparently caught unexpectedly by the camera person. :p

12. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Who could that be? I wonder?

13. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    How'd graduation go? I was bummed since it was the first time we haven't shot it in 3 years. We're still gonna do the editing for it, but since Beth got her own folks to shoot it, I worked out a deal with her to give some of the money to the school.

14. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Greetings, oh great Emerald City, I have returned from the dead to inflict, er...bring warmth and joy to all who inhabit this alternate universe.
    Tallon

15. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Glad your back Don. You missed a great time this past Sunday. Glad to see the TTF has their illustrious leader back.

Kevin

16. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    It's a Carolina Hurricanes goal! Wooooooo!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Dal--Intrepid/flairgoal.gif]

Whatta great series! Brindy's game-winner looked like it was slow motion. That puck sat in front of the net for what seemed like a day. Goin' to the Finals!

17. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    See you guys in a week or two! I'm off to Vegas for poker and Star Wars slots! Everybody behave! :p

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Dal--Intrepid/starwarsslots.jpg]

18. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well I'm finally back from Vegas and Williamsburg. I'm flat broke, but still had a good time. It was nice to finally sleep in my own bed for the first time in around two weeks.

Hope all the dads had nice Fathers' Days. Mine was a DVD-fest, but that's normally how most of my holidays go. I'm not original enough to come up with anything else. :p

19. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    My Father's day was great. My dad, father-inlaw, oldest son (Alex), and myself went and played golf.

I got a PSP for Father's Day/ Birthday (June 26th).

It was awesome. My parents left to go back to Texas yesterday, and I already miss them.

Kevin H.

20. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    So did that DVD work for you Kev? I ripped one for myself since I still had the files on my hard drive, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

21. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    It worked great. We had a movie night that Sunday night and they have already watched it 3 more times. I can bearly do that with the OT Star Wars. Same movie 4 days in a row. I love my kids, but I think I'm going to have to loose that DVD for a couple of days to get my sanity back.

Kev

22. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    Hello Emerald City Empire,

I thought I'd just stop in and say hell to you all since I haven't been posting on the boards much due to school.

I'm glad to see that the ECE is still around and flourishing!

Not much is going on down here in Pembroke, although I am trying to get a chapter started.

Anyways, take care!

-Janers

23. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Hey Janers -

We're still percolating along around here. I think the summer has drained us of our energy, but we're still up and kicking. Hope all is well with school and you get some activity going down your way with a FF.

24. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    So how was D*Con Kel? Did you have a good trip?

25. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well I'm out of town for the next week. Heading to Seattle to visit an old college roomie. Everybody have fun and behave! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.