main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Emperor hologram scene fully edited

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Voldemort, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    This wins over both the 1980 cut and the 2004 cut:

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I've always preferred the original cut (I've seen ESB numerous times in theaters) but understand the change. The new dialogue I don't really care for tbh.

guittarjedi likes this.
  3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, not really, because it's just a static shot of the Emperor from ROTJ with some moving lips superimposed on top and it looks cheap as hell.

Sure, the make-up in the SE version is a little different than the original, but at least it's a full-fledged performance by Ian McDiarmid. If the make-up in the SE version had been closer I would agree that would have been an improvement, but that doesn't mean this version is better.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    KyleKartan likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I'm okay with the hologram in both the 1980 and 2004 versions, but I prefer the dialogue in the 1980 version.

guittarjedi likes this.
  5. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Adywan's version is great! Much better than having the ROTS-era Emperor in a movie that takes place only a short time before ROTJ. And although the effect in this fan edit was probably achieved by using a still image as a base, closer inspection reveals that his neck is actually moving as he talks, just like it is in the 2004/2011 version. On top of that, the illusion was disguised well by the distortion in the hologram effect. It's good stuff and probably could have looked even better if ILM had attempted something like this.

But is it just me, or does McDiarmid's performance look kind of stiff in the 2004/2011 version? I'm so used to seeing his Emperor portrayal being very exaggerated and over-the-top (in a good way). There's a distinct way he moves his mouth while speaking as the Emperor that seems to be missing here. Just watch him speak in ROTJ or any of the hologram scenes in the prequels. It could be the makeup that's inhibiting his performance, although I don't recall that being the case in ROTS, the movie being filmed when he did this scene. It could also be that the dialogue was largely written for the 1980 Emperor (even with the dialogue changes), whose icy cold portrayal was much different to McDiarmid's, and so it created a tonal mismatch.

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It wasn't disguised that well because it looks transparently crappy to me.

In ROTS and ROTJ he's hamming it up and having a cackling good time at the expense of his enemies. In TESB he's having a serious conversation with his apprentice. That's why he's more subdued. Clive Revill's original performance is the same way.

7. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    That's why this is so awesome because it includes an actually improved emperor and sticks to the original dialogue.

8. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    It's not perfect, of course. It could do with a little more movement, but the mouth, chin, and neck all move, so it's more than just superimposed lips on a static image. Plus the 2004/2011 version is pretty stiff as well, and that was with the actual actor filming it. Though ILM doing a better version of what Adywan did would probably make it perfect.

I'm not just saying he's "subdued". I'm saying he looks stiff. Look at the serious conversations he has in any of the prequel scenes (not just the ones where he's hamming it up) and just look at the way his mouth moves as he enunciates his words. There's a specific delivery he has that seems like it's missing here. Like I said, I think part of it may have to do with the type of dialogue it is. McDiarmid's Emperor was not conceived until filming ROTJ and so he's largely saying lines meant for that prior incarnation. Take his Sidious scenes in TPM for example; even though he's not hamming it up, there's a certain *something* to the way he speaks that's not present in his TESB scene, perhaps because the dialogue is not letting it. I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

Samuel Vimes and ZodaEX like this.
  9. Vader fan 99

Vader fan 99 Jedi Knight star 1

May 6, 2019
    Did the 1997 special edition have an alternate Ian Mcdirmind take ?

10. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Special effects aside, the less hammy delivery and original dialogue in this version makes it a win for me.

I was a fan of the Revill emperor, but I don’t mind the change to McDiarmid for the sake of continuity in the Special Edition. The wrong make-up version of Palpatine was used though in my opinion, he doesn’t look like ROTJ Palpatine, and the new dialogue wasn’t too great.

This sort of fixes that in a way.

Avnar likes this.
  11. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Interesting. I remember hearing Ian McDiarmid was told when he began filming ROTJ that he would probably be dubbed over by Clive Revill in post-production.

I think a lot fewer people would object to the revised Emperor scene in ESB if Lucas had retained the original dialogue. But then it wouldn't be such a glaring example of the perils of Special Editionism.

oierem and christophero30 like this.
  12. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Even though I stubbornly choose the 1980 cut for most rewatches, I always have been slightly annoyed that Lucas didn't just cast an actor to play the Emperor in both TESB and ROTJ.

I do think that the change with McDiarmid makes perfect sense, and this version resembles Palpatine much more closely in ROTJ than how he looked in the 2004 DVD release in which he looked more similar to immediately after the battle with Mace Windu (which was yet to be seen when the edit was made, having presumably just been filmed).

Iron_lord and christophero30 like this.
  13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    but is it really stubborn to enjoy the actual film as it existed for 16 years? :)

Bob Effette and Emperor Ferus like this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The 1997 version is the same as the 1980.

Darth Voldemort likes this.
  15. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Although I don't like it adopting the tone from 2004/2011 "he could destroy us", as if he's waiting for Vader to say his line, the hologram outclasses the cheap 2004/2011 appearance.

I might actually agree the original/1997 cut was better. But anything at this point outclasses the cheap 2004/2011 cut, no doubt.

Bob Effette likes this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The 2004/2011 is Ian McDiarmid without any cheap photoshop attempts, so it inherently outclasses the fan edit based on it and is a vast improvement over the original, which was the intention.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  17. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm cool with all the versions, and that fan edit is neat too. Thanks for posting @Darth Voldemort

18. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Welcome. Anything unique or cool about Star Wars I share with the other fans. It's just not good enough for me to keep it to myself. [face_coffee]

19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No..it's not. This "cheap" version is actually much better and keeps the superior dialogue.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Sarge and Bob Effette like this.
  20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Why do you put "cheap" in quotation marks? It looks cheap, to the point where it's absolutely comical. I can't believe people are fawning over it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Alexrd likes this.
  21. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The dialogue is certainly better than the special edition version in my opinion.

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  22. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    And because the Emperor's face is a screengrab from ROTJ, he looks like he does in ROTJ, rather than the overly symmetrical & noticeably different makeup used on ROTS.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    You're right. It looks like a static screengrab from ROTJ with moving footage of lips superimposed on top of it. It looks like total crap. I honestly thought it was a joke when I first saw it.

But oh, yes, it's much better than actually having a full-motion performance from Ian McDiarmid in slightly different-looking makeup that's barely even noticeable to anyone who isn't a hardcore fan.

24. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    I doubt it would be convincing in a movie theater. It probably really only works on the small screen windows of YouTube.

I do suspect more people would like the revised SE hologram scene if Lucas hadn't tinkered with the dialogue.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    whostheBossk and Sarge like this.