main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Emperor's Pawns article (was: Gamer #5 stuff @ TOS!!!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedimasterED, Jun 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Got my copy today, and wow, i was blown away by the "The Emperor's Pawns" article. Loved it. And Dark Horse! If you're listening, get on this and do little short comics for each of these characters for Tales! Incredible stuff here! Abel and Pablo, amazing work!

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Awww...I want it!!!

*Runs out to mailbox*

Sigh.... :_|

3. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    So do we all.

I've heard that...

SPOILERS!

Carnor Jax was the Dark Side apprentice of...

Lumiya. Kewl.

4. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Well, that sounds like a good read regarding the Carnor Jax details.

Any references to that kid ("The Apprentice" - what was his name again????) from Marvels Star Wars Annual #3?

I remember Abel Pena had some interesting theories regarding that kid's affiliation with Lumiya.

Hmmm. Hopefully today's mail has a pleasant surprise!

5. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    What were they?

As far as I know, I don't think so. Flint was his name, though. He is mentioned briefly in The Essential Guide to Alien Species.

6. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I just recieved this info:

Well the story goes...She wreaked havoc along with her
    husband Xendor and his minions during the Jedi Schism
    (y'know, the one where hundreds of Dark Jedi were sent
    into Exile, and eventually became the Sith?) Arden Lyn
    was put into a strange trance called mortichro by a
    Jedi Master named Awdrysta Pina...and didnt wake up
    from it until the Jedi Purge, injuring and killing
    several grand inquisitors. She was eventually
    manipulated into becoming Palpatine's servant. When
    sent out to destroy Palpatines enemies, she used her
    time to plot her escape, and gain allies to help her.
    Her story ties into Mareek Stele's as well, answering
    the question as to why Palpatine was so easily
    overcome by several royal guards (Lyn was with them)
    when he was attacked by his guard on the way to
    Endor.(remember that mission?).

All the other backhistories are just as cool, and it
    really, really makes me want to see them in greater
    detail. Lemme see if I can remember them:

Blackhole was the head of Imperial Intelligence before
    Isard took over, and was a former Prophet of the Dark
    Side.

Lumiya is still around, keeping the Sith order in
    secrecy, similar to the way Darth Bane did long ago.
    She was also sent on a mission by Isard to hunt down
    the wanted criminal Mara Jade, shortly after the
    failed Nagai Invasion. She also trained Carnor Jax in
    the ways of the Dark Side, and was her next Sith
    Apprentice.

Mareek Stele is still with the Imperial Navy, having a
    new sense of loyalty blown into him after joining
    Baron Fel's 181st squadron shortly after Endor.

COOL!!!! :)

7. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    Bubba,

I'd have to revisit the article to get the theories right, but there should be a great piece by Abel Pena (regarding the history of the Rebellion/NR) at the SWFA website, (Star Wars Fan Association. Did I get this right Gatherer? DL?) I don't know the website address off the top of my head.

Pretty much, I "think" Abel was speculating that Lumiya became the reigning Sith Lord with Flint as her Apprentice. I might be remember that wrong, but my vague recollections keep bringing that notion to mind.

Gatherer,

Hmmm. There should have only been one Grand Inquisitor, (Lord Torbin being the last known). Am I reading that synopsis correct, (multiple Grand Inquisitors as opposed to multiple High Inquisitors)? (Alas, I didn't receive my Gamer #5 today).

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I'm only passing info on as it was given to me. Yes, it is the SWFA - go to by bio, there is a form of the address there, but don't go directly to my photo, because, yes, it was a bad photo! :)

9. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Oh, I saw that article! Very interesting! It was in the December issue.

Gatherer, very cool! Do you have the issue? By the way, ever notice that in the original Han Solo Adventures, he used to swear, "By Xendor's Minions!" or "By the Minions of Xendor!"? Pretty cool.

10. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    If Gatherer already has the issue, I'd be upset! You'd think it ship to subcribers in the US before going overseas... :p

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    As I said, the info was sent to me, I don't have the issue yet.

12. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I know you don't have it. :)

As I said, I'd be upset if you did.

13. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
  14. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
  15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Ana,

With respect to Flint - he presumably was not Sith material for any "meaningful" length of time. He was confronted by Luke and was redeemed very shortly after the events of ROTJ(within a year).

There was very little time between when Lumiya went to become a Sith and build her lightwhip and when Flint became a Sith for them to develop any meaningful master/apprentice relationship. While both were indeed Sith, I think due to the untimely demise of their masters - Vader and Palpatine - it was not yet determined at the time who would wear the mantle of leadership. Nothing official has given a conclusive answer with respect to the "state of the Sith" at the time of the Palpatine/Vader - Lumiya/Flint transition.

Of course Flint made it easy by failing as a Dark Lord and Lumiya made it easy by whupping Luke's scrawny little butt and leading the first extragalactic invasion of the GFFA.

I suppose the status of the Sith directly after ROTJ can easily be compared with the status of the Jedi around Luke's training. Basically, everyone was "dead or gone" and someone had to get up to speed very quickly for the order to continue. Vader was presumably grooming Flint to be his Sith apprentice after the Dark Lord whacked his master, Palpatine. Vader had to take such extraordinary steps because his son turned him down in ESB on the same deal.

Of course, on the flipside, Palpatine was doing the exact same thing with Shira. She was his "prized treasure." He raised her from a very young age to become his best weapon in the Empire. She received the best of everything - combat, espionage, even Force-training - the Empire could offer. Presumably, Palpatine knew of Vader's treachery and sent Shira off to become a Sith in preparation for Vader's demise and his failure to turn Luke to his side.

While all the pieces tend to fall into place, the only real questions are what happened at the exact ROTJ transition point. We know the state-of-the-Sith directly before and pretty much directly after.

16. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Does Chris have the issue?

17. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    He said he did in the Timetales thread a few weeks ago... he said that it conferms that RPG is now Infinities.

Here's what he sent to Gatherer in an e-mail, discussing Infinities:

"I got the new SW Gamer today, and as expected, everything in the issue has
    been declared "Infinities." In fact, it appears ALL the new RPG stuff is
    Infinities now, as well as SW Tales.

"So now what do I do? Move all SW RPG II/SW Tales into the red zone
    (apocryphal)?? Or merely into the yellow (marginal)?? We have more or less
    followed LFL's lead in canon until now. I don't agree at all with this new
    direction LFL is taking, but we fans seem to have no choice in the matter.
    What do you think?

"Christopher McElroy
    June 12, 2001"

I assume it was okay for me to copy that.

18. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    But he's not gonna move all that into the AU timeline. Just the Infinities: A New Hope, that's all.

19. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    Ghengis12,

Awesome job by Halagad & Juan on that article, Ghengis12! Hope you get to read it soon.

It looks like they're in agreement with you on "Flint" and that's addressed in their work!

Also, looks like they're in agreement with me on the Inquisitorious. . . at least in the sense that only 1 Grand Inquistor, (Torbin), is mentioned. There are at least 3 (or arguably 4) High Inquistors mentioned - with Tremayne and a new one, Ameesa Darys - along with a passing reference to Adalric Brandl, (and Jerec, and if you subscribe to the theory that Jerec too was a High Inquistor).

This Gamer is a good one. Mike Kogge's piece looks like lots and lots of hard work!!! Well done on that one too!!! You jammed Mike!!!

20. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    These are certainly much more startling pieces of info! I can't wait to see what Dark Side Sourcebook reveals.

Yes, when Arden Lyn was brought back to life, she caused havoc with the Inquisitors, and Torbin cut off her arm, I think.

Remember, Torbin was the guy killed a bit later in the shuttle crash (Sark-1) when an assassin droid from the Church of the First Frequency destroyed the crew. This was in Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook.

21. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    Hey Bubba!!!

I came back to this because what Abel & Juan have done is truly incredible. It's a very calculated piece they've written, and the number of calculated omissions, reasonable inferences and continuity connections is outstanding!!!

For you die-hard continuity buffs, you're really going to dig into this one on the (Some of the) Emperor's Pawns.

As one of many examples, and I'm going to be vague here out of respect for both the author's hard work and their own intentional hints, but to point in one direction - for fans of George Strayton's work in WEG, there's a little somethin' somethin' (i.e., count as two "somethin's) when you read about Arden Lyn's background - one's obvious . . . the other one needs some thinking and connecting the dots. You continuity homework hounds have fun!

Ghengis12, I know you'll figure this one out! For those without access to George Strayton's work, I'm sorry, but I got to give some time for others to figure this one out. Also, I'm talking about really, really small continuity details . . . it's not something that will spin the EU around on it's head . . . it's only something an ultra die hard might appreciate so it's nothing to sweat about missing out on.

Bottom line, it's a great article. Abel and Juan . . . just too cool!!

22. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Hey Ana!

Arrghh! I really wish I could do this! Actually, I only was able to peak through a friend's who was subscribed, so I can't figure it out!

"Ahem!" Perhaps a PM, maybe? I won't tell, promise. :)

23. bongles

bongles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2001
    <<"I got the new SW Gamer today, and as expected, everything in the issue has
    been declared "Infinities." In fact, it appears ALL the new RPG stuff is
    Infinities now, as well as SW Tales.

"So now what do I do? Move all SW RPG II/SW Tales into the red zone
    (apocryphal)?? Or merely into the yellow (marginal)?? We have more or less
    followed LFL's lead in canon until now. I don't agree at all with this new
    direction LFL is taking, but we fans seem to have no choice in the matter.
    What do you think?

"Christopher McElroy
    June 12, 2001" >>

Ugh. People this is NOT true. The only thing marked Infinities in Gamer #4 was the Lurdo comic strip! My contacts assure me this is the case, and it will be explained in Gamer #6.

Sigh. Anyone remember when Star Wars fans were easy-going and somewhat cool, and didn't fret over every little timeline and index? Or maybe this was never the case.

Dang, I hate the internet.

-js

24. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Chris was talking about 4?????

I thought he was talking about 5!

If he was talking about 4, why did he say RPG was infinities? That letter in the begining didn't say it was offical yet. So why did he say so?

25. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I have Gamer #5 and I just want to let everyone know that infinites is not mentioned or referred to once in this issue.

Also for those interested in the article about Arden Lyn check out my post in this topic below for a summary that is pretty close to the actual article.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=3314859&replies=37

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.