main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Emperor's Pawns article (was: Gamer #5 stuff @ TOS!!!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedimasterED, Jun 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    I'm going to take this as a "Let the speculation ensue!" :p

Yes, getting my Abel articles messed up you see. :D

Wow, good point. Though I think I'd like to point out that Barney probably intervened more for his friend Flint than he did on Luke's behalf. It seemed from the comic that Barney was to Flint as Biggs was to Luke. So while Barney obviously looked up to Luke as a great commander/hero, he was obviously more distraught over how far his friend had fallen. He put his own life on the line to help redeem Flint, not necessarily just to save Luke. Though I like the thought of Luke creating a "Karmic shield", as it is only though his kindness and good example that he shows towards Kiro in the comic that saves him from Lumiya's clutches at the end.

2. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    What I meant in my typically condensed form of writing is that while now considered as possibly being originally of Sith origin, the original take was that it was a Jedi discovered technique, and hence perhaps now a technique rediscovered by the Jedi but Sith originated.

Right, and again, I was speaking in a form of short hand to make a point. Because even though those around Luke like Barney, or say Han in the climax to A New Hope, ostensibly save the day because of their love for another person that *is not* Luke, it's Luke that is the fulcrum or mediator. It's not only the respect or love that people have for Luke that brings up the best in them, but it's also Luke's very character, which in these instances encourages Barney to be courageous and Han to be unselfish, even though we can say that "actually" Barney's devotion was to Flint and Han's to Leia. Leia coming to Luke's rescue in Dark Empire is probably an example of love for Luke saving him, while Vader's 180 in Return of the Jedi is probably a combination of love and Luke's character holding up a mirror to Vader, with the inevitable result.

Another good example.

Take care,
    Abel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.