main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Empire Strikes Back 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Thena, Jan 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Luke getting his hand cut off was shocking. No one expected that to happen. ESB was nothing like anyone predicted. It's really nothing like ANH. They are both great.

Dagobahsystem and Elder74 like this.
  2. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Just got done watching it on Disney+ (which I got my free trial after much wrangling with the website), and that being the blu-ray version as I understand, it really showcases how well most of the film holds up visually after 40 years. The Imperial fleet still looks damn cool.

Otherwise? What can I say that hasn't been said? The Battle of Hoth is still damn awesome.

The asteroid chase is still damn awesome.

Yoda, and how he's revealed, is still damn awesome.

Vader is especially damn awesome.

C-3P0...is slightly more annoying than I remember him being. But not to any massive detriment to the whole.

So yeah. It's still the best of the OT, still holds up for the most part, and deserves its spot among other great scifi sequels--or great sequels period--like Aliens, Terminator 2, Wrath of Khan, and so forth. Long live Empire.

Dagobahsystem and christophero30 like this.
  3. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    Amazing film. There are no other words to describe.

Jedi Daniel and christophero30 like this.
  4. TOASTEROVEN

TOASTEROVEN Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    I really want to add my voice to the chorus here on this anniversary. ESB is my favorite Star Wars film, and my favorite motion picture.

A New Hope (or as we called it then, Star Wars) was fine. I remember being intrigued that so many of the grown ups were really excited by what, seemed to me, a kid's movie. I was a kid, and so it sort of felt like a great leveler to me- a rare, shared interest between generations. The movie was exciting and pleasant and I liked it. I got really interested in the toys, went to kindergarten and first grade, and finished off the 1970s.

I'd heard that there was going to be a Star Wars 2, although I really wasn't familiar with the concept of movie sequels at that point. I thought, "Oh, they're going to have another fun adventure. That's interesting." I thought that it was going to be like a TV series, and we were going to have the same characters and the familiar places, and maybe the new movie would start with the main characters still in the throne room, looking at their medals. So, we'll see the Rebel base, and maybe they'll all change back into the clothes they'd been wearing for the first part of the movie, go to Tatooine, and maybe they'll do some more stuff with Jawas. There'll be some problem, but there'll be a big space ship fight and then another medal ceremony. That's what happens on TV shows- you have the same characters doing somewhat different stuff, and wind up with the situation going back to normal.

At some point, the Time magazine arrived. The article had plenty of pictures, and none of them were of Tatooine. Snow?? They're not wearing the same clothes. I suppose if there's snow, they got to wear something different. What's Luke doing with the little guy in what looks like a swamp? Luke looks a little worse for wear, sitting on the ground there. Maybe the Falcon was flying over this planet and he fell out and this person is helping him. The caption on that picture says it's Han Solo, but he's all, what, covered in stuff. Well, in terms of appearances, it really doesn't look like Star Wars.

So, for my brother's birthday party, we were going to see Star Wars 2. I was prepared for there to be differences. Han's got sleeves on his jacket now, Luke doesn't have his white thing on, and there's snow. Also, according to the TV ad, Luke goes down a tunnel. The last clue I had that this wasn't going to be a reconstituted version of the first movie was when I saw the poster at the movie theater: Look at Han Solo and Princess Leia, like, horizontal. It makes it look like they're in love or something.

This is all to just describe what my 8 year old thought process and expectations were like. This movie wasn't like the one I'd seen 3 years before. It wasn't, well, pleasant. Everybody was having a hard time, but that makes it more interesting. There was just so much more emotion in ESB. And the good guys really suffered. And it just ends with most of the characters safe, but with kind of a whimper. The story's not finished! How can it end?

Sarge, Dagobahsystem and R.D. like this.
  5. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    Its a shame that I forgot about who Luke's father was at the time of my first viewing. Being 4 and a half doesn't help with movie spoilers.

6. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Caught the watch party of TESB tonight featuring Sam Witwer. He totally gets it, on a Filoni type level.

7. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I have very nostalgia laden memories of watching it on TV as a kid during the Christmas holidays. It was always on at Christmas, and I always watched it again and again. To this day I can remember the ITV1 television link announcer guy who would announce it like this...

"And now on ITV1, get ready to blast off with Luke Skywalker in our Boxing Day movie, George Lucas' space fantasy epic "The Empire Strikes Back"

christophero30 likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was 9 when I saw TESB. The vision of Vader on Dagobah, when Vader falls off the carbon freezing platform after Luke waves his lightsaber at him, I thought those were robots that Luke killed that Vader sent after him. I do not have a memory of the "I am your father" moment or reaction.

9. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Aren't these just the most beautiful things?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    T.E.S.B, The G.O.A.T of all things Star Wars !

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My favorite line in SW, and I think in any movie:

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Chilling. James Earl Jones is such a great voice actor. The things he does with his voice. It's so much more than a deep voice.

Jedi Daniel, Sarge and Dagobahsystem like this.
  13. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Greetings everyone!

I wanted to let you know we are having a group watch of The Empire Strikes Back tonight at 8:45 EST in the SWC social thread known as the Oyu'baat Cafe. (formerly the CCC)

We would be honored if you would join us. :vader:

14. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    That Carbon Freeze set was a design triumph, it is absolutely epic. It is lit beautifully.

This is my favourite dialogue, I think that this is some profound stuff for a kids’ film.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    R.D., TOASTEROVEN and christophero30 like this.
  15. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Empire plays with a simplistic trope in a way that no other movie really has. You leave Star Wars with the feeling of this being a simple space adventure series. And then Empire starts off with the most simplistic of plots... THE BAD GUY IS AFTER THE GOOD GUY. But by the end of the movie, that simplistic plot premise is so overtly deep that it resonates in your soul. The bad guy doesn't want to kill the good guy, he wants the good guy to join him... because the good guy is his son.

R.D. and christophero30 like this.
  16. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    Carrie's smile throughout that whole video is truly captivating. Amazing.

Iron_lord and chrcharcor2 like this.
  17. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Irvin Kershner got it, and it is evident in that video above when he says

Let me tell you about the malfunctioning of the so and so. Who cares about that? Does she love him or doesn’t she?”

He went for a film based on human emotions, something we can all relate to. This is why it remains so good.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Alright so here is my The Empire Strikes Back story as we celebrate the 40th Anniversary:

There isn't a movie I've seen more times than The Empire Strikes Back. That's partly because at a young age it was one of the few VHS tapes my family had, and for a while was the only Star Wars movie I had access to on a regular basis (other than the Ewok movies recorded from TV). We'd eventually pick up the other two movies and I would watch the heck out of those as well but Empire has been that movie that has "always" been there for me. It became a tradition to watch it and have pizza rolls when my cousin would come over for sleepovers and we absolutely loved the Battle of Hoth with the AT-ATs. As I got older I somehow grew to love and appreciate the movie even more and I've recognized it as my all time favorite movie since I was like 12 or 13. I absolutely never get tired of watching it. When the Special Edition versions were announced in the mid 90's I was so excited, not only because we'd see some new scenes but also because it would be my first opportunity to see A New Hope and Empire on the big screens (I'd seen Jedi during one of the early re-releases). At the time I think a lot of us thought the Special Editions was like a one time, fun thing and that we'd always have the original versions to watch but either way I've always thought Empire was the best of the Special Editions as well. The changes made the film look better and even some of the newer changes with the Emperor and what not are, I think, better than a lot of the changes in the other two films. Anyways, that's kind of my story about watching Empire as a kid and how it became my favorite movie. Here are some of the specific things, other than just nostalgia, that I think make it my favorite movie (in no particular order):

- The music: Holy crap is it good. It's by far my favorite movie score and the Imperial March is by far my favorite piece of movie music. I love it so much (and because it's so good) I was able to convince my non-Star Wars loving wife to let us walk into our wedding reception to it. :)
    - "The reveal": One thing I don't have with regards to this movie is a story about finding out Darth Vader is Luke's father for the first time. I don't remember the first time I found out as I was so young and simply don't remember not knowing. Regardless I think it's probably the best "twist" in movie history and just the whole thing as a climax to the beautifully shot lightsaber battle makes it my all time favorite movie scene.
    -More Vader: Darth Vader is my absolute favorite. To me he's the best villain in movie history, even with his redemption at the end of Jedi. Empire is, I think, where we really get to see his power and ruthlessness. From his punishment of his own men, to beating Luke, to the way he so casually blocks Han's blaster bolts and takes it from him....awesome stuff.
    - Hoth: As I mentioned before the Battle of Hoth has always been something I've loved. The AT-ATs have always been just so cool to me and watching that scene as a kid was just so thrilling, heck, it still is! I also really love the idea of the base being hidden in a snow/ice fortress, not to mention tauntauns and wampas!
    - The Bounty Hunters: I've always had a love for the side characters in the Star Wars universe, especially the bounty hunter type or underworld characters you find at the Cantina and Jabba's Palace. Top of the list has always been the bounty hunters that Vader hires to track down the Falcon, especially Bossk! As I kid who was obsessed with dinosaurs I always thought his design was super cool and then later on I enjoyed reading more stories about him and the other bounty hunters. And even though I think he's a bit overrated I do still like Boba Fett a lot and think his design is also super awesome.
    Luke's Training: I've always liked Yoda and the training on Dagobah but I think it was when I got into like high school that I really started to appreciate just how good these scenes are and everything going on with Luke in the cave and going off to save his friends.
    Cloud City: I've just always loved the look of Cloud City and the idea of a "city in the clouds". It looked great originally and it's one of the things I think the SE really improved on.
    Lando: Lando is awesome, that is all.
    The end: I love how the movie ends, with Luke not only defeated but finding out that Vader is his father. On top of that Han is frozen and taken off to Jabba! Despite all of that it still manages to end with an absolutely gorgeous shot and even better music.
    Also, THERE IS A GIANT SPACE SLUG THAT LIVES IN AN ASTEROID!

Yeah, this movie rocks.

19. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I did not see ESB in a movie theater when I was young. I have no idea why I missed that opportunity. As a matter of fact, the first time that I saw Han Solo frozen in carbonite and Yoda was in 1983. I vividly remember watching ROTJ in a movie theater in Wildwood, New Jersey, and seeing them for the first time. My family was on vacation at the time. If I had to pick a favorite ESB memory, it would be reading the novelization in my sixth grade class during recess. I remember there being a lot of snow in the story. What ESB memories do you have?

20. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Same. I missed it and STAR WARS when they originally came out. I did see Return of the Jedi in 1983.

My memory of first seeing The Empire Strikes Back was in 1984, not long after it was (finally) released (for the first time) on videotape. I liked it a lot, but thought (at the time) the Luke & Yoda stuff bogged (no pun intended) the film down and the romance bored me (I was 12-years-old at the time). Also, the lack of aliens disappointed me - having first seen STAR WARS on TV, when it premiered in 1982, and Return of the Jedi the following year, I was used to seeing lots of aliens in a STAR WARS film. The brief Bounty Hunter parade was good but a poor substitute for the Cantina sequence in the previous film. I was hoping to see the rest of the Bounty Hunters later in the film, but only Boba Fett made a reappearance. I liked him right away, but wished he had more scenes.

At the time, I thought it was a good film but my least favourite after the original and Return of the Jedi. Now, as an adult, it's my favourite chapter.

I finally got to see it - and the original - on the big screen in 1997. A shame it was the dreaded SPECIAL EDITION TRILOGY.

21. My young Padawan

Sep 13, 1999
    I also saw ESB for the first time on VHS, but it was not until 1996. I also saw it for the first time in a movie theater when the Special Edition was released in 1997.

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    My earliest memory of ESB. Me, my sister, and my parents went in 1980. I was already a huge fan. We entered the theater with the closing credits playing from the last show. The Han Leia love theme came on and I was absolutely blown away. I loved ESB from the first time I saw it. The emotion was just off the charts, helped in no small part by William's career defining score.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    When I was little, I thought it was called The Vampire Strikes Back

24. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I remember watching it. I was already excited because my best mate at Primary School brought into school a glossy photo storybook of The Empire Strikes Back before I saw it. I remember being terrified of these pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I watched the movie at the Plaza Cinema in Chorley, Lancashire, now long since demolished. It was one of those fabulous old cinemas which was painted that deep, dark red with matching carpets, and smelled of cigarettes and Butterkist. There were only two screens, one either side of the ticket desk and concession stand, and you went in through those swing double doors with little windows in them. An usher would come round with her torch and tray during the films and you could buy more chocolate and ice creams. I can still remember how hazy it was because of all the cigarette smoke. At the end of some films, the lights would come on and everybody would stand for the national anthem lol

[​IMG]
    Chorley's Plaza Cinema - Probably late summer 1963 seeing as it is showing Jason and the Argonauts

My grandad took me to see it, and I wore a Han Solo T-shirt, and took my Han Solo figures with me. You can only imagine how distraught a six year old boy was when they put Han into the Carbonite.

I don't really remember the big reveal. But I loved the AT-ATs, and I was blown away by Yoda Dagobah (Yoda Dagobah was the character's name on the back of the Action Figure cards, so that's what we thought he was actually called)

I have better memories of Return of the Jedi, but The Empire Strikes Back burned an indelible mark into my soul for all time.

25. My young Padawan

Sep 13, 1999
    I completely agree about the original score. It is incredible. Bob, that is a great reply. It reads like a blog post. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.