main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "The Empire Strikes Back" Timeline

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by AEHoward33, Jan 28, 2021.

1. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021

Why was it changed to six months? And isn't Disney supposed to lay off the six films made by Lucas? Or did Lucas change the period between "Empire" and "Jedi" to six months?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The ROTJ novelization said "Six (Tatooine) months", the timeline tended to show them as "3 years after the Battle of Yavin" and "4 years after the battle of Yavin" - and one book (The Essential Atlas) had the gap be midway between the two at 9 months.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  3. IJjones41

Nov 13, 2021
    Are you claiming that Luke's Force skills had advanced that much within a period of six months? And I thought Rey was a Mary Sue. Apparently, Luke was a Gary Stu - especially in ROTJ - all this time.

Wu Wei Jedi likes this.
  4. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    So, rebel command made Lando a general because he learned a few tactics from a video tape of The Magnificent Seven? Just how incompetent is the empire that they can't defeat these morons?

Wu Wei Jedi likes this.
  5. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Really the issue in terms of training time in ESB I would say is that the franchise shifts both ti and IMHO the Jedi's nature generally in the prequels.

In the originals I would argue force abilities are presented much less as "magic spells" to be learnt and more as a product of spiritual awakening and innate ability which I think is more believable that Luke could gain over a period of a few days to a few weeks.

Luke doesnt go to wizard school he is (somewhat) enlightened by a spiritual master.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I believe the timing was TESB takes place over the course of 8-12 weeks and then there s a 1 year gap from TESB to RotJ, with SotE in between

7. darth orange shirt guy

darth orange shirt guy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2022
    You should look at the Star Wars atlas, they have all the locations and hyperspace routes used, but no times though. Bespin is apparently right next to Hoth so Luke and Hans travels would be the same amount of time both ways.

8. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The Falcon was running on a backup hard drive. It crawled to Bespin (by hyperdrive standards). From the very beginning of the film to the final scene in the recovery room with Luke and Leia, I don't think it can be any more than a month and a half. Once the Falcon decided to go to Bespin, it couldn't have taken more than 2 weeks to get there. And I got the impression that they were on Bespin for a few days at most.

BlackRanger and Iron_lord like this.
  9. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    "FALCON.EXE has crashed. Abort, Retry, Fail?" ;)

10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I misspoke. I meant hyperdrive. it was crawling on its backup hyperdrive.

BlackRanger likes this.
  11. IJjones41

Nov 13, 2021
    So why did Han and Chewie fail to notice that the Falcon was being followed, if the hyperdrive was the ship's only problem?

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    the Falcon's wing mirrors came off in the asteroid belt.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ... and fell to the surface of Tatooine, where they were scrounged up by the Mod Vespas.

14. IJjones41

Nov 13, 2021
    Oh . . . Han had screwed up. Okay.

15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    In the original version of ESB Boba Fett follows at a safe distance. In the SE, the additional shot of Slave One right behind the Falcon was inserted. It just looked dumb, that they wouldn't notice. I prefer the original theater version.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I guess we can assume Slave I had some form of stealth tech, and/or Boba maneuvered to stay in the Falcon's blind spot. Also, Han may have had his active sensors turned off as he tried to sneak away; that would make him harder to detect, but also make it harder for him to detect pursuers.

17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Slave I is one of the best ships in Star Wars. No doubt. Fett was ready for anything.

18. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I thought Mark Hamill once said it was 2-3 weeks (I can't remember which). He made some joke about if he had 2 (or three) weeks alone with the Princess on a ship he would've scored too.

I think Kersh also said something similar in regards to the timeline.