main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End is Near - (IT IS TIME!!!)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Perhaps my apocalyptic 2012 prediction was premature after all.

If you've spent any time on the IGN boards in the last few weeks, you may have noticed they are gearing up for their own move in the very near future. Specifically, IGN has decided to abandon IGN Boards altogether and move to a forum software called XenForo. Xenforo is the newest and hottest forum software on the block. It was built by former vBulletin developers and is similar to it in many ways. [IGN's Q&A on XenForo can be found here.]

Why does this matter to us? Well, because when IGN moves, they are planning on shutting down all their existing forums, including the JC. Now before you start running around in a panic, there is actually some good news here. IGN has assured us that when the time comes, they will be happy to provide us with a freshly-converted copy of our database in the XenForo format. What this means is we'll be able to take the data IGN gives us and immediately load it into a new XenForo forum install without having to convert anything.

If you've been keeping score the last year and a half, the main hurdle we've been dealing with is figuring out how to convert the data from the current JC into a format that could be imported into the new board system. This appears to no longer be a problem so long as we're prepared to move to XenForo instead of vBulletin - our forum software of choice up to this point. If we decide we want to stick with vBulletin, we may be able to easily convert from XenForo.

When is this going to happen? So far, IGN has been telling their users the move will happen soon. However, I've received word straight from IGN's Director of Technology that they are anticipating it happening in December or January. That's 2-3 months from now.

So, vBulletin or XenForo? As it appears we may have the ability to choose between the two for the new JC, let the debate begin. What do you think we should use? If you prefer one over the other, why?

Info on vBulletin:
    Official Site
    Developer Site - massive forum devoted to development of vBulletin mods, plugins, and add-ons
    Mobile Support (also supports Tapatalk app)

Info on XenForo:
    Official Site
    XenForo Mods
    Tapatalk mobile plugin

2. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    So much work was put into vBulletin in the last few years, I would say stick to that. That being said, I like shiny new software...

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I would stay with vBulletin with all the work you guys put in on it. XenForo is still in beta and even though it is newer it might be more of an issue with errors and security. On the other hand if you are getting the export on XenForo taking a chance on new software might be good too. What does the ownership think?

4. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Well, if its exported in XenForo why not keep the XenForo file and convert a copy of it to vBulletin? Then you can test both software side by side.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've had experience with vBulletin in the past (including administration experience), so if you decide to go that route, I'd be happy with it. However, if XenForo keeps this forum's current layout style and such, and is easier to export to, then go with that. Whichever will make moving more comfortable.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  7. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    If Ign is willing to do the actual conversion, and do it in a timely manner, than go that way. It certainly beats the alternative of having to wait another year and a half for the owners to contract people to do it for v-bulletin. Something they might not decide to do at all, if the forums remain dead long enough.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    vBulletin.

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 8

9. Darth_Vaders_Sock

Darth_Vaders_Sock Jedi Master star 2

May 10, 2009
    Hooray, great news!

For me, I'd say vBulletin if it's not too much trouble.
    vBulletin is tried and tested.

10. Pete_Seyk

Pete_Seyk Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2004
    I'm always one to go for what's the "latest and greatest," especially when the data is made available in that format.

11. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    Viva Xenforo!

12. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Is cost not an issue? Up front and/or ongoing?

Either way...delete comms.

13. red5_5

red5_5 Jedi Grand Master

Sep 12, 2001
    Longtime lurker here. I'd be happy with either board system - whichever is easier to implement. Also, I would really like to express my support for a mobile version of the boards.

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Both versions they are considering are capable of using Tapatalk with it so you are covered for mobile goodness.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We've been discussing a mobile version. It just might not be there on day 1. We would probably iron out any bugs from the move first.

16. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Either way I don't care. Whatever is easiest for the actual folks having to set this up.

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I like the look of vBulletin best. A lot of forums use this software now. However, if it would be easier to use the other option, I would choose that for now.

18. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    As long as it has a mobile-friendly aspect, I'm happy.

19. red5_5

red5_5 Jedi Grand Master

Sep 12, 2001
    Thank you both for the reply! I look forward to the new boards.

20. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Xenforo

21. FatFrank

FatFrank Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2011
    REPENT!

22. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, I've used vBulletin on another board for years, so I know what it's like and I like it. But if Xenforo is similar and is easier to move with, then I don't see why we can't go that route either.

...So whatever?

23. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I like the way our Boards "look" now. So whichever format is going to retain the integrity of the boards as it is now is my choice.

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    If XenForo allows you to search for threads by username, like vBulletin does, then it doesn't matter to me. :p

25. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Like others, I've been posting on other vBulletin boards for years now and I like how they work. However if XenForo has the same amount of functionality as vBulletin does it wouldn't fuss me which way TFN ultimately goes.

EDIT: been reading through IGN's FAQ regarding XenForo - the only thing that makes me hesitant about it is that because it's so new there's not going to be many options appearance wise so we'll probably be stuck with a 'default' theme until new skins are developed (unless there was some way for the TFN staff to implement the skin(s) they designed for vBulletin), kind of how were stuck with the SnowBoards look when we first moved from UBB way back when.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.