main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End is Near - (IT IS TIME!!!)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We already considered that. :p
    Unfortunately it would muck up the reload as we'd have posts with no user on file.

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    You should double your efforts. :p

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I know this is an unbecoming question, but will post counts be migrated?

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I would say yes. Although we won't know for sure until we see how IGN decides to migrate the data.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh right. Well, I'm glad I asked because I'd been assuming they would be safe. :p

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm pretty sure the IGN boards are in the same boat we are - they have a large number of posts that have been pruned over the years and user post counts don't reflect the number of actual posts that currently exist in the database. (Myself, there's a difference of over 1800 posts between my "virtual" post count and my "actual" post count.) I'd like to think IGN will transfer "virtual" post counts over to keep the masses happy.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I rather dorkishly glory in my post count. Considering this is my second username, and that I was was banned every other week when I was active, and then spent 6 years absent, I consider it a monument to my loneliness that I still managed a dozen-thousand posts here and would like to see this completely irrelevant numeric value carried over to the Promised Land.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think a lot of users here have a similar emotional attachment to / pride in their post counts, but are not all necessarily willing to admit it. :p

Another thing I just thought of (that many are also proud of) is registration dates. It would seem that that may actually be less likely to be carried over, and that we'd all possibly end up with the same registration date (coinciding with the move date). Is that likely?

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd just be disappointed to not get the chance to pretend I'm not pleased to reach 50,000 posts. :p I'm still over a thousand shy, though.

Post counts are at least one measure of someone's activity and contribution (positive or negative) to the boards in the time since they registered.

Anyway I've forgotten (or perhaps didn't have the time to notice [face_mischief] ), do virtual post counts appear in admin profiles? And what's the significance of each? Is 'virtual' more accurate?

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm 120 posts short of 5000. I want that blue ring and I just know that two days before I hit 5000 we'll make the move.

Of course my post count hasn't mattered. Still, I want the blue ring. Personally I believe it's the registration date that has the real caché and '07 still makes me a noob.:p

11. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I doubt it. Registration dates are a common user attribute these days. I think something would have to be seriously overlooked for them not to transfer.

Admin profiles show both virtual and actual posts. Take mine for example:

Actual Post Count: 20482
    Virtual Post Count: 22326

Actual posts are the actual number of posts the user has that currently exist on the board. If one of your posts is deleted, this number would decrease by one. Virtual posts are the "total" number of posts you have made. This number does not decrease if one or one hundred of your posts are deleted. User profiles display virtual post counts.

For those who may not have been around back in the day, there were different times in the JC's history when old posts were pruned from the system. I know this has happened in both JCC as well as my own Denver FanForce board. Those are probably the biggest reasons for the discrepancy in my post counts. Another could be from posts lost in the original move from UBB, but that's just a guess on my part. However, I do remember what my very first post was on the JC, and that post does not exist anymore.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Good news on the registration dates remaining the same. I don't want to lose my precious double 00's. :p

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 14[face_frustrated]

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_talk_hand] 00's only matter if you were a UBBer. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if we lost posts in the migration from UBB. There were a lot of crazy things that happened with that move. There are still threads jumbled together from it.

14. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    So all my previous bans are turning into Virtual Bans, and I am no longer a problem user?

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    FLARESTORM.

16. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I want to keep my post count and registration date, but I want to change my username when we move. I hope this will be possible.

17. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998

98 > 00

:p

What a sad existence I had back then to register on Christmas Eve...

18. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Yes, this will be possible. There will be a set policy and procedure for how we handle this, but if you really want to change your username, you will have the opportunity.

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The aesthetic symmetry of the double 00's (and the double 99's for the 99'ers) are what's awesome for those of us with those registration dates. '98? *yawns* :p And, being able to change a username but being able to keep the registration & post count? Terrible idea. Posts should stick with the actual set, original name. Want a new name that bad? Create a new account after the move.

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 14[face_frustrated]

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So does that mean that the newbies who registered this year (before IGN's pizza run, that is :( ) are in the same class of awesomeness?

I don't see a problem with it as long as changes are publicly logged and said log is easily accessible, preferably from the user's profile page.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    For the record, I do not want to change my username.

22. FatFrank

FatFrank Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2011
    Oh! come! on! We all know that you'll have Emperor and a space added in front of Everton as soon as the move occurs. It's just too tempting.

23. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply. :)

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Just not feeling that humble anymore? :p

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    [face_laugh]