main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The End of All Light (Post-NJO AU: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, L/M, H/L, many more) Updated 11/29/14!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Replies and some necro-replies

Well, there has been quite a wait... Thanks for your thoughts on that preview.

Is it horrible that I still have not watched any of these Disney sequels?

I loled.

How reassuring is it to anyone for me to say “I will absolutely beat GRRM”? Cause I’m gonna.

Thanks, man, that was really nice of you to say, and very much appreciated. Sorry again for the long wait.

Chapter 9 of Exodus, Malig to Luke:
    "It's not important. If I told you, it wouldn't answer any of your questions— it's not nearly as important as what I am."

I’m really sorry to hear you lost everything. That must have been brutal. It was not my problem, though. I had copies of this series backed up, though it was discouraging to see all the chapters and replies gutted. I did lose a few other things I thought I’d backed up, like that “Darth Dumbass” humor fic I wrote, but I managed to find that on the wayback machine. Did you ever give that a whirl? You might be able to recover some of your work that way.

Thank you very much for your kind words on this series. I appreciate everyone who read it and those who stuck it out for years and years.

Thanks for the praise. As for the “blue balls” thing, it kind of makes me not want to finish :p

Not sure if you’re still around or not, but thanks for what you said here. It meant a lot to me. And thanks for reading all these years.

I appreciate the excitement, thank you.

I wasn’t even going to ask because it seemed like a pretty a-hole thing to do after all these years. And considering the size of the next post, which is massive. But if you really want to...

And thanks @Rew, for everything over the years.

I was going to ask you if you’d do that. Thanks @Xammer, and thanks so much for hosting these fics since the boards butchered them.

It’s not so much “The Rise of YodaKenobi” as the “Aging, stooped lurch out of his easy chair.”

Hello, and thanks so much. I’m glad you enjoyed the series. I know it’s a lot to read, so anyone who wades through all these stories has my eternal gratitude.

As for the old EU, you missed out on some good stuff, but you also missed out on some pretty horrible stuff. Anyway, it was mostly fun while it lasted.

Thanks again!

Great to see you again, and thanks for your words, and for sticking around. I appreciate the enthusiasm.

That’s a really good list. Almost all of your questions get answered in the same chapter, but I won’t tell you which one :p. The Malig and Sidious confrontation will come sooner.

There is one other big question, but it’s been something no one has really noticed since 2007, so I think I’ll just continue to keep a lid on it until chapter 59.

Good to see you, and thanks for sticking with this!

Your skepticism is totally understandable. It’s happening though.

I don’t know if what you said about this fanfic is true, but I really appreciate it. Thanks a lot @windu4

Still working on things. Hoping to have something up by Halloween. I’ll warn you all that it’s long, long, long though.

JediMaster_Jen and Xammer like this.
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm all in! Though I might take a bit longer to reply nowadays than I did in yesteryear.

Also, fair warning: I've been gone from this series since your last post five years ago, so I'm definitely going to need a robust Cliff Notes summary of everything to catch me back up again! :p

Well, you're already doing better than I. I've pretty much abandoned that novel series I was telling you about a couple years ago, for various reasons.

JediMaster_Jen and YodaKenobi like this.
  3. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I just started a reread of all that came before, starting with "Star by Star" for context :p
    This is going to be one hell of a ride!

YodaKenobi likes this.
  4. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, I imagine I will have to post some sort of summary for the people that are still around. It has been a long, long time.

Sorry to hear that.

Awesome! I appreciate the enthusiasm. Hopefully it will seem worth your effort.

I'm still working at the next post. It's taking longer than I would have liked but it is coming along and should have something that's actually readable up here soon. Thanks again to everyone sticking around.

JediMaster_Jen and Xammer like this.
  5. Darksabre4237

Darksabre4237 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    We continue to await your glorious return, YodaKenobi!

Xammer and YodaKenobi like this.
  6. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    he is way too picky with his writing ...

YodaKenobi and Vialco like this.
  7. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thanks and good to see you :)

Sorry it’s taking so long but I am still working on chapter 54 and am very close to being done with it. It’s really, really long. It’s basically its own short story with almost all the main characters in it, so when it does finally get posted, there will be plenty to read for anyone still interested.

Xammer and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  8. Lord_Onveh

Lord_Onveh Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2009
    There was a disturbance in the force. Something, something, I didn't enjoy the movies. But there was a twist, the real disturbance, the real awakening, the real RISE, was actually this thread. I don't really have too much of a reaction yet, but. . there is something. A small spark that could lead into an inferno. But I am keeping a lid on it for now.

Anyway, now that all that weird, tryhard,mumbo jumbo I just said is done. I can say! Welcome back!

YodaKenobi likes this.
  9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    TFW you're beta reading a new Yobi chapter for the first time in five years:
    [​IMG]

LosDosMos, YodaKenobi and Xammer like this.
  10. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Hey, awesome to see you again and thanks for the post and your enthusiasm about the story.

I have yet to watch any of the Disney Star Wars movies. They just haven't interested me. What I've heard of the latest installment hasn't really changed that, though I did read a spoiler about the end of Rise of Skywalker that was sort of disappointing because it is similar to the end of this story. It's been the ending since at least 2008, and now when I get to that point in this fic there is no way it won't seem derivative. It was sort of a kick in the jewels when I read that, and the general reaction to it from people who have seen the movie. To be clear, though, I'm not changing the ending of the story, even if it's going to seem familiar now.

Anyway, there's no one to blame but myself. I should have finished this thing years ago and could have avoided this.

That made me lol.

And I should say here that @Rew is only betaing the front half of this chapter right now (which is like 18,000 words or something?). The second half is still under construction.

11. Darksabre4237

Jan 3, 2018
    We are perfectly happy to read half chapters as long as we have something to read, lol! And you're not missing anything by not seeing the Disney Star Wars movies, IMO. For the most part I've found them blood-boiling-ly frustrating, at least plot-wise. Some of the characters had quite a lot of potential, but that pretty much all went to waste...

windu4, Xammer and YodaKenobi like this.
  12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    *whispers sheepishly* I genuinely enjoyed the sequel trilogy.

Vialco, JediMaster_Jen and YodaKenobi like this.
  13. LosDosMos

LosDosMos Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2005
    Now that the ST is over, my BFF and I have started a re-read of post-RotJ Legends (well, a re-read for me; I'm dragging her into Legends with the force of my enthusiasm), and I was just thinking about this series. It's a delight to see you still planning on finishing, Yobi.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  14. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Just some stuff I thought about recently:

One thing that this series does well is that Malig goes out of his way to tell Luke "look, I may be dark, but I'm not your ordinary villain, so don't apply your preconceptions to me, make sure that if you oppose me, you do it for the correct reasons". I expected something of this form to come up with the villain in Ep. 7, but it didn't pan out.

YodaKenobi and Rew like this.
  15. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I

Everyone else I've talked to about this has told me to break it up into multiple posts too, but I'm really reluctant to do that. Unfortunately, this is the worst possible chapter to come back from a years-long break on, because it drops the reader in a situation where they have no idea what's going on and I'm afraid because of the break anyone reading it will feel like they're supposed to understand what's happening and they've just forgotten. What's happening becomes clearer as the chapter goes on and should make sense beyond the halfway point. If I break it up too early though, the chapter will end in a way in which the reader will still be left in the dark on some points and I'm afraid it will just be way too confusing.

Maybe though. I am also afraid this chapter is just way too long to ask anyone to read.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of negative things about the story and from the outside it sounds like they were just shooting from the hip without a real plan of any kind, but I don't know. I don't think it's for me.

It's okay. I'm sure there are things I like that are embarrassing too.

Tough to forget that name. Great to see you again, LosDosMoses. I thought about rereading the NJO a few times the last couple years but can't seem to muster the energy. I did reread the Thrawn Trilogy though. That still feels like the best of the EU to me.

Hope you and your friend enjoy the "Legends" material.

I'm assuming you referring to the Snoke character that's supposed to be a Sidious stand in? Or you mean Kylo Ren? I'm familiar with the basics of the movies but I can't really comment on the quality.

Anyway, I like that you highlighted that part of the argument between Malig and Luke. It will become more important as we get into the Reckoner and what it's actually for.

Still inching along on Chapter 54 but nearing the end. It will absolutely be posted in February. And hopefully I will find more of a rhythm after that. Thanks again to everyone sticking it out this long.

LosDosMos, Xammer and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  16. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Uh-huh

:p :p :p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Vialco and YodaKenobi like this.
  17. Xammer

Jan 31, 2009
    Come on, don't be so hard on him, it's the planning fallacy, we all do that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    YodaKenobi and windu4 like this.
  18. Darksabre4237

Jan 3, 2018
    We're halfway through February now...any chance you're going to give us a Valentine's Day gift of a chapter? [face_praying]

YodaKenobi likes this.
  19. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, I agree.

He's right though, I deserve to be mocked at this point :p

That would have been really sweet of me. Probably not the first time I've disappointed someone on Valentine's Day.

It is definitely time to stop messing around though. New post on Friday the 21st. For realz this time. Come hell or high water, there will be something new to read here in five days.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett, Xammer, Rew and 2 others like this.
  20. Darksabre4237

Jan 3, 2018
    *plays Hallelujah chorus* :D:D:D

I will be holding you to that, Yobi.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  21. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    You just made my day, Yobi!!:D:D

YodaKenobi likes this.
  22. Xammer

Jan 31, 2009
    [​IMG]

(maybe you don't know the show, but this is what it reminded me of)

(and btw, I missed your bold red announcements)

YodaKenobi likes this.
  23. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I feel like posting a disclaimer about illness and accidents, but I better get to work instead.

Thanks! I hope you like the post when it's actually here :)

I've heard of it but I've never actually watched it. I think it's been about a decade since I've even tried to watch a network television show. I like the quote though.

It's the digital version of me writing a oath in my own blood :p

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  24. Xammer

Jan 31, 2009
    I hope you're OK now, Yobi.

I wanted to be nitpicky and say that you were a GoT fan at some point and that was less than a decade ago but that was an HBO show which probably doesn't qualify as a "network" show. (I am not from the US, so to me all shows are the same).

25. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    No, I was just kidding. I've not been sick or injured at all. I don't have a good excuse like that for not getting any writing done. I was just making a joke that my promise was conditional, I would post as long as I don't get horribly ill or hurt in some sort of accident :p

Yeah, I didn't know you weren't in the US. Scandal is on ABC here, which is one of our networks.

I actually didn't like GoT much at all. I really love the books, which I had read before the HBO series. The first season and a half were mostly enjoyable, but from season 4 on I was definitely just hate-watching it.

I do watch shows tv, on cable and streaming. The last ten years has actually been pretty amazing for television.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Xammer likes this.