main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It's a mystery box. Stop asking questions. Just consume product.

[​IMG]

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That's JJ,s MO always has been and always will be. Can anyone really be surprised by this. The only good thing is that he will have to own this now.

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm increasingly convinced Coherent Axe is Positive Fan's slightly sardonic alter-ego. I'm onto you.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I mean hey, I'll take it.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Largely (but not exclusively) positive initial social media reviews are good, since critics have been pretty spot on at judging the Disney era movies so far IMO. TROS sounds like it will land at about Rogue One level in the 80s on RT; not up there with TFA and TLJ, solidly better than Solo.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Except Palpatine's return has been set up, albeit subtly, but it does require paying attention to non-film sources (like Lord Momim and his Horcrux-like action) (or the Aftermath Trilogy novels).

But Luke's saber's return was never set up, directly or indirectly.

8. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Seeing the word "convoluted" in several social media reviews of TROS. With everything that needs addressed/tied up, totally not surprised.

Seeing it on Friday morning. Hoping to avoid massive spoilers until then, yet can't pull myself away from the boards...

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I'm sold.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I've seen other places describing the reactions as outright mixed. I would say not at all. They seem pretty universally positive.

11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    man I can't believe the leaks were all completely accurate. I'm so excited. It's like Christmas come early.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yep all the leaks were true. All those dismissing those YouTube videos etc feel pretty small right now.

Tbh I thought those rumours would be. You have the type of Director JJ is, you have Bob Iger himself admitting he lied to Lucas and purposely buying his ST treatments just so he couldn't use them. You had Kathleen Kennedy denying the very existence of the EU pre ST. You have what previous movies like TFA were and It all added up. It was always going to be a souless hack job simply designed to sell tickets and nothing else. The idea of story is not something those people care about . Never have done.

AusStig, ImpKnight and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  13. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Man lol the reviews for all I was planning on watching this week... first I read that CATS is "way too horny for its own good" and now I read that TRoS is "lowkey horny" [face_clown] Bless this mess, may your films be gaily premiered and may all your Christmases be weird

masterskywalker likes this.
  14. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Is TFA hated? News to me.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I love all these leaks and still laugh all these stupid youtubers, can't wait for tomorrow, here we come. Also TFA was the most beloved movie since ESB. I still hold the TLJ as boldest movie since ESB.

Krueger likes this.
  16. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I had to read "lowkey horny" about 3 times in that social media review for it to sink in that it was HORNY not HOKEY.

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Everything's hated by someone, unfortunately. TFA's certainly been getting flack for its lack of originality, especially now that the reveal that Lucas also thinks that gave some "legitimacy" to that opinion.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No, because the film leaks predate anything from that Doomcock chap whose content you were guzzling.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Doomcock, sound like little whiny phony.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No.
    There's an all important difference between setting things up in advance and retroactively claiming to have done so. Aftermath only really talked of the source of the dark side.

I expect them to stick with the whole retroactive planning MO. Allows them utter freedom to do anything while they can assemble the pieces into a different image later and say that was always the plan.

Nom von Anor, fett 4 and ImpKnight like this.
  21. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Just like Lucas did.

rjrjr and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, the ending of Aftermath had Palpatine conversing with Rax and the implication that he's older and longer lived than he appears, and I believe one of the Acolytes of the Beyond expressing their belief that Palpatine would return.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean this is n different then what Lucas did if we being honest.

24. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    Tupe Yashu says to Gallius Rax in Aftermath: Empire's End: "Palpatine lives on. We will find him again out there in the dark. Everything has arranged itself as our Master foretold. All things move toward the great design. The sacrifices have all been made."

It's almost certainly retroactive planning, but that quote fits eerily well with what happens.

BigAl6ft6, Wrinty, Daneira and 2 others like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Which could be cool if they hadn't....
    decided to just not bother with explaining how he came back, which seems to be the way of it.
    Equally, once that door's opened it leads to the next one of how to kill an immortal adversary, but again, hey go for the quick way out.
    It feels arrogant and high-handed - if you like that, OK then but I don't like the sound of the precedents that are being set here.
    Not that they'll 'fess up to it.

fett 4 and Old Rex like this.