main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was just watching TROS the other day and I'm still so miffed they didn't do more with that "save the FO kids" plot. They honestly didn't need to do more than add a couple of scenes, and they had the whole setup already there through TFA and Kijimi. It would have given Jannah an actual role, and completed Finn's story arc.

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    They should have also just went right ahead and said Jannah is Lando's kidnapped daughter.

IG: @jedisufism

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And explained the FO getting trashed by Finn doing a great speech to the galaxy as a child taken by them; it would have worked so well to overthrow the FO.

Stormtrooper Rebellion with the Sith Troopers being left.

4. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Because what this film needs is more coincidences.

BigAl6ft6 and Alpha-Red like this.
  5. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Star Wars is build on coincidence.

son_of_skywalker03 and Alpha-Red like this.
  6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I've seen the film twice and Lando having a daughter who was kidnapped isn't even mentioned, so why would they have a Jannah revelation to resolve a plot point that isn't even introduced?

Barriss_Coffee and PCCViking like this.
  7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Ehh. Most of the "coincidences" in ANH largely make sense, though, with or without ROTJ's retcon. TFA's, by comparison, don't really.

8. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    They surely edited out that plot point in the process of editing. Then peppered ancillary materials with the suggestion. Specifically the VD.

You're assuming that I'm talking about just dropping that in in the film's resolution? Please...

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Because that scene at the end between the two of them is so cringe and awkward, they needed to explain either it was them rediscovering each other, or just cut it.

Vialco, Riv_Shiel and Dawud786 like this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    it's just an old man being reminded of his daughter trough this young woman.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I keep hearing this over and over and it puzzles me to this day. What is so cringey and awkward about it? I've seen the film twice. Did I somehow miss Lando saying something sexual and/or romantic to Jannah? I'm sure he said nothing of the sort. Did Jannah tell Lando to stop talking to her and he ignored that? Nothing of that sort happened either.

Sorry if it's hitting a nerve because more and more men are rightfully going out of their way to treat women with respect, and rightfully so, especially with MeToo shining light on horrific crimes, but when people are trying to imply wrongdoing where there is none, that completely undermines all those advances.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's just the subtle feelings of it, him raising his eyebrows and being "and where are you from?" And how she just walks up to him to talk about this. It just seems very forced and awkward dialogue altogether. It's very cringey. I'm not talking about harassment, I don't know why people think that. It's morel like Anakin's Naboo romance dialogue levels of cringe. As well as completely unneeded.

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I see. Billy's getting up there in age, so I'm willing to let him slide on some acting bungling. We were lucky enough they decided to bring Lando back, and maybe JJ didn't feel the need to put the old guy through more tiring takes of the scene.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think it was Lando just being Lando - similar to the kissing of Leia's hand in ESB.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Lando just turning in his swagger on the girl.

16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    ESB is kind of painful on rewatch. Like when Leia told Han to stop touching her hands and he ignored that. No one would get away with that today, and rightfully so. When she says stop, you stop.

Vialco and Ghost like this.
  17. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Yall just ever think about the choices that went into getting Wedge back in the movie and then deciding to put him as the falcon's turret gunner.

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Kathleen Kennedy: Denis, how does Wedge and the Agents of the New Republic sound to you? If you want that, just show up for Rise of Skywalker!
    Denis Lawson: Ok!

(later)

Kathleen Kennedy: And now we're going to have a Cassian Andor tv show...
    Denis Lawson: Who?
    Kathleen Kennedy: an Obi-Wan Kenobi show...
    Denis: Well at least that will give my nephew something to do for a while
    Kathleen: And a Mandalorian show...
    Denis: You said I could have a show starring me!
    Kathleen: I am altering the deal. Pray that I don't alter it any further. :vader:
    Denis: [face_sigh]

Vialco, JediFett10 and Alpha-Red like this.
  19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Why go through the mental gymnastics required to blame KK when the more logical answer is JJ and terrio don't actually understand star wars.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Terrio understand Star Wars i feel reminds me of when RJ and Filoni talks star wars. it's JJ who may not.

21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Why accuse anyone of not understanding something purely because they made some choices in a film you happen not to like or agree with? Terrio understands it fine from his interviews, and JJ's certainly a fan who's spoken about the messages and ideas he got from the original films, so I wouldn't claim a lack of understanding so quickly.

What's this based on, anyway? Giving Denis a cameo means they don't understand it?

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Wedge is minor character really.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It was a joke. I thought that was obvious. There has been no credible word a wedge show was ever on the table

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Xammer likes this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As I said, cringey.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Then it's cingey Lando.