main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I think regardless of what the story was, Episode IX would always have been sold as "the end of the Star Wars story". Avengers: Endgame did that even though they'd already started promoting subsequent films, and Lucasfilm themselves have done this twice already with RotJ and RotS.

I don't think we were ever going to see Episode X immediately after IX, even is the ST had a massive approval rating from fans. So it would make sense for them to hit the conclusion angle hard in marketing.

SilentGuy66 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think in a way this new trilogy was always gonna be the end, they weren't gonna episodes 10, 11 and 12. It's a story with a beginning, middle and an end.

3. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I still believe they probably will, one day. For the forseeable future it'll be all spin-offs and standalones, but eventually they'll want to cash in on that Skywalker Saga grandiosity again. Nothing ever ends while it's still profitable. ;)

SilentGuy66, Riv_Shiel and Daneira like this.
  4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Hard to say with the movies in particular. Star Wars seems to be moving towards a mainly tv franchise, not unlike Star Trek. Star Trek on tv has been thriving in recent years, the films not so much. That situation is certainly possible for Star Wars, and while Solo was not an episodic film it shows that SW films are not immune. 9 clearly raced back to the familiarity of Palpatine etc. to escape the backlash of 8, showing just how on the edge these films were.

If the next few SW films don't really make the dent the shareholders are hoping for, I can see them not wanting to risk in the episodic saga and just keep SW mainly focused on tv.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  6. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    That artwork with the rhombus-shaped ships manages to evoke the feeling of "Star Wars but not OT or PT" better than the ST ever did.

Riv_Shiel, Sinrebirth and Daneira like this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope we get small conflicts post TROS and get comics, books and maybe even tv and games.

8. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    The difference is that Star Trek started on TV and branched out into film. Star Wars was the other way round. I can't see Disney abandoning films entirely. Not when four out of the five movies they released made over a billion dollars. As much as the fans like to talk up the "Disney's Star Wars is dead!" angle, it's not really supported by the numbers.

No, instead they'll take a break of a few years (what used to be the standard wait for a new Star Wars film!) and then crank up the release schedule again. Look at it this way: if something like, say, Terminator, will keep cranking out movies despite diminishing returns, then can we really expect we've seen the end of the highest-grossing per film live action franchise?

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I didn't say films would end entirely, but the episodic ones do seem to be over.

Some films such as Big Hero 6 do seem to shift to tv without indication of the next film installment. The Stargate franchise went from film to tv and never looked back. That's not going to happen to Star Wars, we'll have non-episodic films, but the episodic series (episode 1-9) i think is done.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh I highly doubt that!

Ep 10 is such a cash cow regardless of intent, maybe not anytime in the near near future...But I say in about...Ten Years (When the next Gen of Fans is grown up and in charge), the chances of a Ep 10 are high.

I'm quite confident in that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    But they labeled it the Skywalker saga. Rey's daughter or son? Or Rey herself? Would Daisy come back for that?

They're also going to have to actually think of a new story other than Republic vs Empire 2.0 (or 3.0).

And the lightsaber fights would mean a new Sith equivalent.

It's hard to see where they would go without treading old ground. The only thing I can think of is that this time around maybe they'll use George's outlines and his microbial world, whatever that was.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Xammer likes this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Dude the power of money will come before any creative integrity so that is guartened to have a Ep 10 alone.

and why do you have to do a time skip, just make it the continuing adventures of Rey and friends.

Time for Star Wars to cast out it's traditions now, let the past really die as they save and push forward to something totally new and bizarre.

Alpha-Red, Jedi Comedian and Daneira like this.
  13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If that's the case they might as well just see what they can get away with.

Star Wars Episode 10: Attack of the Midi-Chlorians

Maz Kanata: Medically, Rey is completely healthy. For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her.

Finn: She's dying?

Maz: We don't know why. Her midi-chlorians have lost the will to live.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean sure...I guarantee there will be a Episode 10 and they'll find something for it one day...Not saying anytime in the near future but maybe 5-10 years give or take. They aren't gonna get rid of the Episode lable that easily, heck they might not even say Ep 10 is the start of a new trilogy they just might make one movie called Ep 10

Sky's the limit at this point.

Daneira likes this.
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just flat out remade the OT at some point.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Honestly I think that be interesting I'd be down for that

I say a good chance for a Ep 10 to happen though would be around the 50th anniversary of ANH. High chances we'd see something then...maybe

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It had a prequel, designed as a quick and short COVID19 game, which set the scene.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-fall-of-elyseum.50053460/

Some of the forums best stuff.

Xammer and Gamiel like this.
  18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It occurred to me that 9, and the sequel trilogy in general, seemed to revert back to the human-centric makeup of the resistance that the PT avoided (the separatists were all alien, and even the jedi had a strong alien presence).

It wouldn't have hurt to have more alien background members. Lumpy, Chewie's son, could have been a resistance background character instead of that Beaumont Kin who shows up out of nowhere.

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm pretty certain they'll avoid having Episode X because it conjures up the prospect of having to watch at least 9 films. They'll take a page from Marvel and sidestep it.

Fairly certain they'll do more movies all over the place but the numbered eps? Probably done.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Even Star Trek films ditched the numbering eventually.

21. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    You're right that it won't last forever - nobody's going to be excited about Episode XXVI - but Episodes X-XII are close enough to be part of George's original plan that I can see Disney pulling them out in future to grab people's attention.

And with the marketing, the ST played down the episode numbers to the point where, once the titles had been revealed, you only saw them in the opening crawl. All the posters just had "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" on them (or I guess "Star The Force Awakens Wars").

Daneira and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, they might do that - or just scrap them from the opening crawl - which was a fairly effective way of indicating to the audience the story type as R1 and Solo didn't have them.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  23. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    You know what was weird? Solo desperately wanting an opening crawl, but doing it in the same format as the "a long time ago ...". It feels like such an odd way to avoid having the crawl when it's still clearly a non-crawling crawl.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Maybe not SCRAP the opening Crawl but why can't they just have a crawl and then the title of the movie....So many other Star Wars stories (Mostly games) do this.

Old Republic and KOTOR did this.

Also I do think that a 10-12 is quasi possible given how even George had things in mind for a 12 part Saga once upon a time (They can just spin and emphasize that part)

I do agree will get movies jumping all over the place probably in the near to mid future (Which I'm totally down for)

Also I think that eventually when the numbering gets way to much they'll drop it but maybe find a way to do post 9 (In terms of Timeline) movies, and obviously just start saying this is a "New Saga" since the "Skywalker Saga' is not done.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think they could do the crawl, as an example:

STAR WARS

The High Republic
    Chapter 1

Blah blah blah....

IG: @jedisufism

vncredleader likes this.