main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Xizor is canon: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Xizor . Interestingly enough a Xizor action figure was used to represent someone in the crowd scenes of Mos Espa's racetrack in the Phantom Menace, and we never got a clarification, Legends or Canon, if Xizor attended the podrace.

AusStig and Alpha-Red like this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Careful Jid, it might happen to you. ;)

More seriously, the sense I get of how the ST is in Lit now is this:

OK, you liked it, you're middling, you hated bits of it, the films are done, we know what each other thinks - does anyone really feel the need for an online deathmatch over this stiff or do we let others do that elsewhere? The latter? OK then, onto more fun stuff.

Get the sense no one feels the need to reiterate their position for the umpteenth time, it's known and whatever it is is fine.

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh I know it's gonna happen to me...and i'm okay with that...I try to remind myself every day that the best thing I can do for younger generations is know when to step aside and let them take the lead :p

I follow Grandpa Simpson logic

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2020
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You are aware there is a great secret hiding in plain sight here, right? It is.... You don't have to.

You can't stop physically aging, but the idea that age is a state of mind is very much true. Similarly, the much quoted line that people become more right-wing as they get older, I'm not finding that one to be true either!

If I wasn't being more open to info, I wouldn't have found the excellent source of Marvel trades info that is the YouTube channel Near Mint Condition. Courtesy of @lordpixie pointing me towards it. It'd be so easy to go - YouTube? Yuck, but so many comic news sites have become ad-infested hell to view online, why not go elsewhere or get info in new forms?

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You New Mandalorians and your peace loving duchess.

I challenge you, one warrior to another, and only the strongest shall decide the legacy of the Sequel Trilogy!!!

So be it.

Then other forum members look on in disgust while the loser crawls around after getting a beatdown, then kneel before the ultimate winner.

I think it's only True Mandalorians and Death Watch people in here. We never even heard of you New Mandalorian types until some line in a children's cartoon. :boba:

;):p

Alpha-Red likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I have two settings: Amicable and peace-loving.

And then there is: Commence primary ignition....

Alpha-Red likes this.
  8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This isn't a moon! (Sorry, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds joke)

Nom von Anor likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Sauron_18 Would have put this in the DE thread but this film better here but someone did a good video about defining the Star Wars Sage...a bit humorous but also deep too and I think goes into some of the stuff we were talking about in the DE thread

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2020
    StartCenterEnd and Sauron_18 like this.
  10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Video not available unfortunately. Taken down?

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It seems to work for me

12. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    And for me too. @TheAvengerButton, the direct link is youtube.com/watch?v=dNcHJZ1nkVI (with "https://www." added to the front - had to remove that to stop it automatically embedding it).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  13. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Unleash Teh Simon !!

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
  15. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Thank you for sharing that! It took me a while to get to it, but I finally watched it. It definitely provides some good food for thought. I guess I’d never considered how much change really is a factor in this series, and especially in revitalizing it and making it fresh again after time has passed. But that’s certainly been true from the OT, to the EU, through the prequels and then to the new canon. And for the past ten years of so it has been TV shows that are perhaps creating the most change for Star Wars.

As we enter the first period in a long time where a TV show is the primary form of Star Wars, it’s interesting to see how this might shape what we think Star Wars is right now. I mentioned this in another thread, but I’m still not fully smitten by the Mandalorian, and perhaps a big part of it is that I really do love the space wizards portion of Star Wars quite a bit. Of course, after all the wizardry of the sequels, it’s perhaps reasonable to have things move in a different direction for a while. But I like the video’s final message which is that at this point the doors are as open as ever to many more kinds of storytelling in this universe.

And I loved seeing how the idea of the Force evolved. It’s certainly easy to forget how it was once perceived, or to miss the points where things shifted. I know it certainly never felt as much like a character as it did in the sequels, which I really appreciated. I believe it was Jason Fry who said he wrote the TLJ novelization with the idea that the Force was very much a character in the story that linked all others together via how they interacted with it. That’s certainly a world of difference from how it was portrayed for years in the EU.

@fett 4
    In the vein of SW opening up to many more storylines, and going back to discussions from the last few days, I would love to see Finn get a solid post-TROS storyline. A good book set in the postwar Galaxy could possibly give fans a lot of material to get into, and really evolve that character in a way that, unfortunately, the sequels didn’t end up doing. That wouldn’t really help Boyega, and it wouldn’t have the impact that its being played out in the movies would have, but at least it would begin to make things right for that character, and hopefully open up some interesting new storytelling.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    StartCenterEnd likes this.
  16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I thought John Boyega and his character were completely wasted in the ST. He got relegated to comic relief. Though a defecting Stormtrooper who is questioning himself and making the good guys question there own actions (they are basically video game enemies who the heros kill by the dozen) instead all that got wasted to be the comic relief side character

cwustudent, Nobody145, Vialco and 3 others like this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I would have quite liked Force sensitivity to be revealed and he move forward as Rey's Padawan, and indeed face his issues with attachment.

Or, to lead a Stormtrooper rebellion, if they played up Leia as Rey's Master (which they did, and I loved that).

I'd much rather have had Maz more in TLJ, mind you, playing up the non-traditional Force angle that Rian seemed to want.

Rose needed to replace that damn worm thing in the opening TROS sequence at very least.

18. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So yesterday I was discussing TROS with a friend and I thought of something I didn't think of during my previous viewings.

Why didn't they get Beaumont Kin to translate the dagger since it's show in the movie that he knows Ur-kittat/Sith when he translates Sidious second message. They could've just given him a holocall or gone to him and shown him the knife right?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Depends of how mutch he knows of sith laguage. for all we know he only decode half of it. Also how cool is it to get the sith laguage in a movie. before only in books and comics.

20. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I honestly like the plot point that the Old Republic outlawed the translation of the Sith language by protocol droids.
    For starters it reminds me of all the Jedi that fell to the dark side in legends simply by stumbling upon ancient Sith tombs and artefacts.
    And it also reeks of "Nope, we're not going through that again!"[face_laugh]

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Makes sense why no one is speaking sith in the prequels, lol.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Threepio not being able to translate a Sith sets up basically some awesome Threepio stuff anyway, so it's worth it. I did see a continuity glitch pointed out that he couldn't impersonate a deity with the Ewowks but kinda did anyway but couldn't translate Sith, but there's wiggle room. He was basically relating Luke's words to the Ewoks, and they didn't believe him anyway while with Sith it's expressed forbidden programing required a complete memory wipe.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Sorry if this is old news (I've mostly been avoiding this thread) but today I learned that a Snivvian appears on Pasaana during the Festival of the Ancestors scene, and that made me really happy.

[​IMG]

You have to do a little Where's Waldo to actually find him in the movie (timestamp 0:22:46 in the Disney+ version), but apparently the actor (Jake Lunt Davies) confirmed on Instagram that it is a Snivvian and the character was actually called "Zutton" on set. Maybe we'll get a better picture of him at some point.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Haha, that's cool.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You know I don't think enough people talk about hw much the death of Carrie Fisher effective and shook up the production of Episode 9. Especially considering if you do the research just how much Leia was going to factor into the "Last Act" of the film. The biggest one begin that Leia was gonna reach out the antagonist (The Jedi Killer at the time) and play a part of his return to the Light.