main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Cosinga Palpatine. Make him canon.

AusStig likes this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Only if he drops "Palpatine" in favour of "Da****".

(if autofilter ****s that up, then I'm saying D A S H I T)

e. lmao yup.

Imagine not being able to say "Cos Da****" on a Star Wars message board. FFS.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Duck like this.
  3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    That's da****, all right.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yet another argument for IX being two parts long right there.

QuinlanSolo and AusStig like this.
  5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I think it's supposed to be not a outright clone but made by tissue and donated cells[/QUOTE]
    Between The Star Wars Book and Skywalker: A Family at War, the picture that comes together for me is that strandcasts are something like clones in that they are artificially constructed and grown, but distinct and unique as opposed to outright duplicating someone else at a genetic level. Think "Serpentor" from G.I. Joe perhaps (but with fewer "donors").

PCCViking likes this.
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The weird thing is, Kuiil can tell that Grogu isn't a strandcast just by looking at him. Meanwhile, Snoke and Sheev Jr. look nothing alike (of course, they look more like each other than Grogu... is Grogu too short to be a strandcast?) And how are regular clones, Kamino clones for instance, made, if not from tissue and cells?

7. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_casting
    Genetic material being cast. Palpatine's. Not recombined through a womb. But not cloning either.

More than cloning, less than conception. But you need a womb (Shmi, Padme, Leia, Palpatine's mom) if you want a FS individual. The son/clone was a failure.

Either Jodie Comer was FS...or Rey was caused by Palpatine after the strandcast failure. She was born the same year Ben was sent away. 'Death and decay that feeds new life'. 'Darkness rises and light to meet it'. 'The dyad...a power like life itself'.

Maybe the boy was made to touch Vader's helmet and then the 'decay' was bridged to a womb. Rey's 'he killed my mother' was maybe true 'from a certain POV'.

'The dead speak!'. So does Dark Rey. So did Luke's dead father in TESB - Vader was also Dark Luke in the cave.

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Kuiil mentions at one point that he worked in "gene farms" so presumably he has specialized knowledge in that sort of thing? Like, maybe he knows what kinds of species can be strand-casted and which ones can't, that sort of thing.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  9. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    A strandcast is an artificial organism, like a Cylon or a Replicant. Fully organic but not based on a donor. Some might have genetic material from donors, but the implication is that this is not necessary. The word “clone” itself would originally have covered that meaning, but over time it has acquired the added sense of a clone being a copy of an original. In other words, a strandcast is a clone with no original.

The reference from the Mandalorian is most likely alluding to strandcasts in general being made to be very attractive or beautiful. We can imagine their purpose. But the strandcasts of Exegol were not made for beauty. Which is not to say Rey’s father wasn’t attractive, but that wasn’t the point of him. They are essentially Frankenstein’s creature in a scifi setting.

beetzello and ColeFardreamer like this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

IDK...I think Rey's dad is a pretty good looking dude ;)

Speaking of though Clones and Strandcast...Since I know your a big Lucas original drafts. It is fascinating how the thread of Clones has changed and evolved but has always been with Star Wars since inception. Or at least since A New Hope and then expanded on with things like TTT and DE. And now even today with the soon to be Bad Batch.

Sinrebirth and Sauron_18 like this.
  11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Kujil is a tinkerer and despite his working in the gene farms once probably worked more on the technical side rather than the biological. But being able to tell it by looking, especially for a rare unknown species like Grogu and Yoda's, he must have been potentially working ON cloning tech specifically designed for such species. Who knows what dark past he had as slave worker for the Empire on cloning tech and gene farms? He may have known more than he let on, pretending not to know Grogus species.

Strandcasts are more in the field of "creating life out of nothing" as the Sith attempted to mold the perfect Sith'ari being rather than cloning. Sure they tried with added genetic material, but the result was neither a clone of someone, no copy, nor a mix and mash of several donors as that would still be a clone in the wider sense. It's basically a being mixed of so many parts that no single part can be seen as the true donor. Only elements taken from each, no large enough sequences to make the being related to a single donor probably.

So the original notion of Snoke being tied to Plagueis experiments still holds if he was what Plagueis and Palpatine created that required the light to counter with the creation of the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker. But strandcast Snoke, while old to see the Empire rise and fall, was not made of the strongest Force donors (Skywalker blood, Yoda, etc.) which later Palpatine had access to and tried to incorporate into his own strandcast, his son maybe and his own clones. It could even be that Snoke, as Plagueis creation, was a potential rival of Palpatine that Palpatine tried to get rid of and that Plagueis saved (the loved one he could save but not himself as told in ROTS). Given Snokes size, him having Muun genes along human ones from Palpatine and other donors is not unlikely! (Snoke = Plagueis and Palpatines lovechild lol)
    So Plagueis legacy kinda lived on within Snoke, but Palpatine, once finding him in hiding in the Unknown Regions, took him over as his pet and kinda his shadow's pawn.

Rey, born naturally kinda then has all the strandcast-clone daddy's donors lineages within her. She is all the Jedi (who Palpatine took samples of and meddled with) and he is all the Sith (needed to create his own strandcast clone body that is weak and failing in TROS). Literally!

Why do you think the Mando reference alludes to strandcast beauty?

The beauty angle is scary... I wonder if canon will touch more upon it in the future. I mean they went dark already with the Decraniated! But clones for all kinds of purposes including strandcasts sounds like we may see Evazan again some day involved in strandcasts too maybe?

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    @Jid123Sheeve
    Oh, he’s definitely very attractive. I just meant that his looks weren’t related to his purpose.

And I agree! It’s interesting to see how clones have evolved (or not) as a concept in Star Wars. I think the earliest hints at what the Clone Wars were about came from early drafts of TESB where the character who became Lando was a survivor of a clone planet. I haven’t read up on that in a while, but it certainly sounded closer to what we did eventually get (clone soldiers) than what EU authors like Timothy Zahn eventually theorized in their work.

@ColeFardreamer

My interpretation comes from the rest of the dialogue in that scene, where Kuiil jokingly says he wouldn’t be surprised if Cara Dune were a strandcast, alluding to her good looks, but that someone as “ugly” as Grogu could only have been brought about naturally. So that definitely hints to strandcasts being designed to be beautiful or at least a certain ideal of physical perfection. Again, much like replicants.

It would be great if we eventually got more stories about Exegol’s strandcasts. I haven’t read the TROS novelization, but the excerpts I’ve seen make it sound like these beings were all created in an attempt to make a better body for the Emperor. At the same time, the movie itself doesn’t necessarily provide an explanation for why they exist, beyond it being part of the dark science of the Sith.

One thing I wonder about is whether canon will continue exploring the idea that the dark side corrupts living beings. This was present early on, with the Lando comics showing the effects of Sith artifacts on Imperial Guards. And there’s a hint of it in the fact that all the acolytes we see in Exegol have bandaged faces, though their children in the fleet look perfectly fine. So it makes me wonder whether Snoke looked the way he did because of the dark energies of Exegol or because of the process of creating a Force-sensitive clone.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Sauron_18

The basic evolution of Clones I remember Lando was gonna be a Clone hence why people didn't trust him since Clones back then were the enemy and not the ally of the Republic

Then in Tim Zahn and early Bantam stuff I feel like their was always almost a three way battle between the Clones the Jedi and the Empire...and maybe the Republic somewhere in their too....I don't know the details, sometimes it felt like the Republic and Empire were two separate entities plus the Timeline of it all was not as condensed as the Prequels make it out to be.

Heck even in the late EU we have Starkiller and all that cloning.

Funny the EU kinda kicked off again with clones and sorta ended with Clones.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So Wookieepedia says that when the Jedi spirits are talking to Rey, it's the voices of Luke Skywalker, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn, Ahsoka Tano, Mace Windu, Luminara Unduli, Aayla Secura, Kanan Jarrus, and Adi Gallia. How did we find out it was them? When I hear it I can only make out Qui-Gon and Yoda. I guess if I listened to it repeatedly, maybe I might be able to recognize Luke or Anakin...but for others like Aayla Secura or Adi Gallia, they never had any live-action speaking role so there's no voice to match it to.

Also, Rey goes to Exegol with two lightsabers right? Leia's saber, and Anakin's? She gives Anakin's to Ben, and then later she Force-pulls it back to herself and uses both to defeat Palpatine right? I think when I first watched this I assumed there was only one lightsaber between Rey and Ben, but it didn't really occur to me at the time where a second one came from.

15. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    The voices are credited.

And yes, two sabers. Rey and Ben drop them when Palpatine leeches the dyad, and she picks up both to fight him.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Alpha-Red likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just to emphasise; not Barriss?

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Unfortunately, the end credits don't include a section on Voices of Jedi Traitors.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, I have her as alive but attempting a penance in my Episode X RP so that's fine, isn't it, @CosmoHender?

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I do wonder if maybe Kanan went Qui gon's route and become a voice in the force, learning to become a force ghost, and a tweet about him saving his family when he helped Rey.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Fake-Barriss in Season 5 you mean. Real Barriss was rescued by Luminara and died on Felucia in Order 66. Fake Barriss is likely out there unless Palpatine had her dealt with.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The fake Barris joke is old...people gotta accept that this is just where they went with the character now.

22. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    @Jid123Sheeve You're right, no more Fake Barriss, she is "Baarriss"

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I just assume she earned her redemption and was released in time for O66.

Same with Depa.

24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    It's the only thing I will hold on to. And Dave Filoni will forever know about it.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Unless she appears in bad batch I'll go with it

Sinrebirth likes this.