main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think any unresolved things from the clone wars will be brought back in bad batch.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Much as I was hoping Battlefront 2 would be Operation Cinder: The Game (which didn't happen), I'm hoping Bad Batch will be Order 66: The Show.

MrDarth0 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Thx for volunteering to provide me with a list of everything unresolved from TCW... I am waiting! [face_thinking]

Nah... more like Order 1-65 and then 67+

I have a weird feeling we might see the Second Clone War though, with many clones gone rogue... Bad Batch, Rex and the Gang, etc. being hunted along the Jedi and the clones fighting back reuniting with others to do so. So that Pellaeon can remember fighting clones properly in canon and Thrawn can make his post ROTS debut in Bad Batch.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Come on, it'll be Order 66.6

Nom von Anor and ColeFardreamer like this.
  5. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I guess Palpatine in TROS was playing SWTOR MMO before he revealed himself to the galaxy...

from TOR codex entries:
    Force-walking (Inquisitor)

Three hundred years after Tulak Hord, the Sith Ergast tried to recreate the ritual the Dark Lord used to devour the spirits of his enemies at Yn and Chabosh. In its place, he discovered what he called the ritual of Force-walking.

Requiring a Sith of great strength of will, the ritual of Force-walking allows the user to bind the restless ghosts of dead Sith to himself. Once the ghosts are bound, the ritualist may draw from their power, channeling it into a powerful exertion of Force energy against his enemies.

Force-walking Sickness (Inquisitor)

Of the few recorded people who successfully learned the Sith Lord Ergast’s Force-walking ritual, all of them rose to prominence quickly and faded from glory shortly thereafter, with nothing to indicate what brought about their ends. Among them, only one was known to have bound more than one Sith ghost–and that was Ergast himself, whose own death remains a mystery.

It appears, however, that binding too many ghosts can quickly overwhelm the host, inflicting physical and spiritual sickness on the Force-walking Sith and leading to violent expressions of Force power beyond the Sith’s control.

If that's not Mr. "I am All the Sith" overkilling it in TROS... I don't know what is!

6. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    He should have "remade" his body in the Rakatan "Mother" Machine at Belsavis like Darth Nox did, then.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Saw someone put this together and it's kinda a interesting twist on the "Let the Past Die Moment" as applied to Episode 9

and then this

8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    @Jid123Sheeve

perfectly illiustrates it and hits it on the nail!

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Thank you! I found it a interesting parallel and love little connections like these.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Amid all the flack TROS has and continues to receive, it's nice to have reminders like that of exactly how much thought and care really did go into its writing.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

More visual goodies.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sorry to DP but i saw this two tweets which i thought were good

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I get that, but I still think it was done very badly. They shouldn't have gone to such lengths to say "Rey's parents were nobodies" only to do a complete 180 in the next film. If they had wanted Rey to be Palpatine's granddaughter, then they shouldn't have gone with that "nobodies" thing in the first place. TBH I don't even see what the payoff for that was supposed to be, because lots of Jedi were the children of muggles.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Nom von Anor, Nobody145 and Gamiel like this.
  14. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The idea isn't just to say "anyone can be a Jedi" (though TLJ does say that as well). In TFA, Rey's a mystery box who we assume has important parentage. But, it presents her as a hero in her own right who takes up the mantle to fight Kylo Ren...except it undoes that right at the end by having her give the mantle back to Luke with a pleading expression. So TLJ builds on that to show her looking to Luke and Ben as the heroes the galaxy needs, but eventually discovering that she is the hero. Even though she's not a Skywalker, she can make something of herself. That's where the "you're nobody" thread leads to.

And, to be fair, TROS does pick that up and continue it, though it regresses her slightly to do so. She feels unsure whether she's worthy of taking the mantle again, but finds her place and gets the reward of becoming a Skywalker by deed, not blood.

ColeFardreamer and PCCViking like this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Although, it's funny that two times a Palpatine wants Luke to use his saber, Luke tosses it aside. ;)

Link1130 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I get that too, but if that's the message the writers wanted to send, then they probably shouldn't have done the Palpatine's granddaughter thing. The reason I think it's so jarring is that everything prior to TROS seems to corroborate the "Rey is a nobody" idea. Luke, Leia, Kylo and Snoke all act like they have no idea who she is or where she came from, and even the Force vision tells her she's a nobody. If she were the descendent of Palpatine, then all four of them should have been aware of her existence, that she was out there somewhere, and they should have recognized her when she eventually crossed paths with them.

canuckmuse likes this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    But how would Luke and Leia or even Kylo known about her? As far as the former two are concerned, Palpatine was dead, and Kylo never had any direct interaction with Palpatine until TROS.

Snoke could have known, but then his role being Palpatine's proxy tended to be erratic. I think the comics implied that Palpatine spoke through Snoke, yet if Snoke knew or guessed that Kylo and Rey were a dyad, then Palpatine should have known before they confronted him on Exegol.

18. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    If I remember it all correctly, Luke says to Rey "you're a Palpatine" which indicates that he had to have known about Rey, and likely before he became a Force ghost. But then back in TLJ, he asks "who are you?" like he's not expecting the Force-sensitive granddaughter of Sheev Palpatine to find her way to him. It's also mentioned in TROS that Leia knew who Rey was, but we never see even a glimmer of recognition prior.

As for Kylo, in TLJ he states quite loudly and confidently that Rey was a nobody, as if he had done some research about her and found out about her lineage. But why would he say this unless either 1) he actually believed it, or 2) was lying? Was there any reason for him to lie?

Luke, Leia and Kylo were not in contact with each other and could not have coordinated their reactions to Rey. Yet the reactions from all three independently seem to suggest that Rey indeed is a nobody. But then with all those clues and foreshadowing in place, TROS comes and pulls the rug out from under us.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  19. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    If Luke doesn't know who she is in TLJ, then post-death is aware of who she is, surely that implies he learns after he becomes a Force ghost?

And Kylo states she's a nobody because that's what he sees in Rey's mind; that's all she thinks she is. He says so directly in TLJ, and he learns otherwise in TROS when Palpatine tells him the truth.

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I gotta start following the people you follow on Twitter. They get it.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Did he not only say that her parents were nobodies?

22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    KYLO REN: You know the truth. Say it. Say it.

REY: They were nobody.

KYLO REN: They were filthy junk traders who sold you off for drinking money. They're dead in a paupers' grave in the Jakku desert. You have no place in this story. You come from nothing. You're nothing.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    The thing is, the ST deconstructs a lot.

In TFA, Rey Nobody is the example of everybody can rise to the task if the Skysolos can't. In TLJ it is reinforced and the Legend of the Skywalkers is challenged but also reinforced at the very end without taking away from Rey who rose to the same level the Skywalkers were already on before her. In TROS then, Rey Nobody became Rey Palpatine. That tells us not only that Every Nobody can become the hero and does not have to wait for others or Skywalkers to do it for oneself, but that no matter if you feel worthy or unworthy, you can become the hero.

It kinda goes like this:

PT: Chosen Ones can become heroes to save all => Chosen One fails
    ANH: Luke nobody can become a hero
    TESB: He is no nobody but Luke Skywalker, Vader's son => Regardless of your parents and ancestors you can be better than them
    ROTJ: Throw the saber away, you needn't fight to win. Evil will destroy itself, instead of repeating the cycle by killing evil to become it later.

TFA: Via Kylo, even Skywalkers and heroes can fall. A nobody like Rey can save the day
    TLJ: Via Luke, even a Master like Luke can make mistakes. Heroes die, Legends can be lived up to but Heroes and Legends are only part of the truth. Rey herself does the deeds. plus reinforced saberthrow don't fight moment and added twist that you can even redeem someone you are not related to
    TROS: No matter your past, you can always become the hero and save the day. No matter how dark your past, be it your ancestors (Rey) or your own (Kylo), you can always choose anew and be better. Redemption angle from TLJ continued and reinforced win through not fighting but merely blocking the lightning.

It all is a logic conclusion and builts from PT to ST. Rey moving from nobody, to a potential Skywalker, to Palpatine and to a Skywalker by deed makes sense. In paralell we have Ben/Kylo moving from Skysolo, to Vader-fanboy villain, to himself free of any past good or bad.

Ben grew up with the legacy of heroes as a burden and expectations on him. Rey did grow up free of any such baggage on Jakku.
    Ben broke under the burden and fell but found new burdens on the dark side with a new master. He was torn instead of freed. Rey on the other hand found a burden in her destiny with the Skywalkers and conflict she was pulled into in TFA, one she broke free from in TLJ when leaving Luke on Ach-To behind to do her own thing like Ben broke free of his destiny by joining Snoke and later again by breaking Snokes thrall on him by killing him. At that point both were free to be themselves... drawn together yet going separate ways again for the time being.
    Rey's freedom led her to become the hero on her own terms and timetable, Ben's lead him to rule and become the villain on his own timetable and terms too. Both were drawn in by Palpatine's call though and would meet again, where she freed him of his last obligations, like he freed her of hers. She abandoned the Falcon and friends to go to Palpatine like he abandoned the First Order to follow her there.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

I always feel that is one thing that throws people off about the ST is that it really is just one big meta-narrative about Star Wars

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How do you mean?