main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

i mean so far it seems closet we might get is Acolyte

But that story seems very disconnected from the mainline story it’s hard to say if it even counts

That does seem to be the appeal of high republic

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2021
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, the same movie studio that did time-limited VHS releases, Disney know how to play the merchandising game.
    I've always been sceptical of any major crossover sell for comics from superhero movies. It might happen more for independent material that is adapted, as there will be the small set of source material, but even there I'm not convinced.
    I was alluding to their resistance to issuing DVD / BR copies. They could put those out and likely lose very few Disney+ subs while raking in the extra cash.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Another thing I think will see though is more the shows/films connecting to one another and quasi advertising each other even if they don’t with the off screen stuff

example is Bad Batch’s connection to Book of Boba Fett

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sorry for the DP but I found this and I always find this connection (Be it intentional or happy accident) brilliant

Ben finished what Anakin started and essentially ended the Skywalker family line in probably the most light side way possible by completing Anakin wish in the most selfless way possible

He discovered the secret Anakin yearned for...But enacted it in a way that Anakin never could. In some ways he managed to go beyond Anakin.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2021
  5. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I feel very confident that it was intentional. Say what you will on its success, but there were clearly some attempts on TRoS to tie it to the prequels at least to some extent and that is one of the biggest.

6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

I think this also is a moment that comes full circle not only from Anakin to Ben, but also from Plagueis. Often forgotten we got Plagueis story via Palpatine who was jealous that Plagueis had loved ones, that Plagueis knew how to save them from dying but not himself. Palpatine wanted that power but for selfish reasons and use on himself, but the power Plagueis knew and used did not work that way which is why Palpatine could never learn it from him and ever sought it with Vader ever after when looking for survival routes.

Neither in Legends nor in canon did we get a full elaboration of what this part of Plagueis backstory meant. Plagueis in the Legends novel and Book of Sith came close but did not fully represent that backstory as he could save others from dying but there were no loved ones. Plagueis did not love his apprentice before Palpatine.

I think we need to consider that Plagueis as a Sith came closest to discovering the sought after immortality when he figured out how to save others, loved ones, from dying. Like Palpatine he searched for a way to be able to also save oneself. Be it bodyhopping, cloning or else. But they both failed in that regard as the true power of surviving death, was selfless love and would have required a Darksider to fall back to the light. Ben did that, Plagueis might have but did not stop there. Palpatine never even tried or had nobody to try it with.

Mutual love means every part of a perfect dyad would die for the other and be able to save the other fromc certain death. Palpatine had nobody loving him (Amedda does not count lol) and Plagueis may have loved someone enough to save him/her (whoever that may have been is unknown to date!), but he had nobody that loved im back. Rey saved Ben's life and he saved hers, they did it mutually, her after his mortal stab wound, he bringing her back from the treshold of death dying for her.

Over the course of SW we have several iterations of these scenarios to save loved ones from certain death:

1) Plagueis backstory as told by Palpatine in ROTS
    2) Padmé dying with no medical indication as to why in ROTS (did she really loose the will to live or did she die to save the spark within Vader that would rebirth Anakin Skywalker in ROTJ?)
    3) Kenobi in ANH dying out of love for the heroes and showing that death is but a door not to be feared as it makes one more powerful than anybody could possibly imagine
    6) Vader dying for Luke to save him from the Emperor
    7) Han Solo dying for Ben to proof to him undenyingly how love works which would tear him apart to the point of no longer believing Snoke's promises and lies
    8) Luke dying for everyone lighting the fire and legend that would give a galaxy back hope and belief
    9) Leia dying for Ben, reminding him of his father's sacrifice.
    10) Rey spending part of her lifeforce to heal Ben and safe him from a mortal wound
    11) Ben healing Rey after she is already gone through the veil of death to bring her back

Also when Palpatine wanted to bodyhop into either Ben or Rey in TROS, he finally had understood the power of love that was his missing ingredient. It rejuvenated him then and there as the dyadic power and only by taking one of them as his new body would he have the love of the other that could save him always. He tried to steal love and failed one last time.

Awushi Awere likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Someone else pre-emptively retconned K-2's origin from the comic and I agree, the entire point of the one-shot comic is that Cassian reboots K-2 a lot and scrambles his memory banks which is a handy way to say that story is his own "perception" of what happened. I'm sure K-2 will show up eventually, I'm actually shocked he hasn't been mentioned and Tyduk said he's not involved in S1. Guess they're taking their time to get to it. Need something for Season 2 I guess.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You know i was thinking one area I'll be curious to see is how the characters themselves are "Expanded" upon when various authors tackle them since it seems the ST tends to have made very strong opinions about certain characters.

Like Kylo Ren. Some go for the more Abrams approach of full on Unhinged Antagonist while others have seen him as a more sympathetic individual....I see Charles Soul Rise of Kylo Ren comic as a good example.

I suppose the New Hero's are more or less the same. (Hopefully will see more Rose in Expanded material if any) and I don't think authors will characterize them differently as a result but who knows.

9. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    My only problem with this scene is that I have no idea from where Kylo knows how the healing technique works.

10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Well, given the explanation for Rey figuring out the mind trick is that the Dyad bond enables her to share knowledge with Kylo, presumably the Dyad combined with Rey actually healing him from the brink of death imparted that knowledge to him.

Besides which, the ways of the Force are mostly intuitive. A knowing beyond intellectual knowing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

11. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    This or Rey learned it from the ancient, secret Jedi texts (what I think).

12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Rey learned it from the texts, for sure. It's Kylo that's in question here.

13. Awushi Awere

May 11, 2020
    I know.

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    From the novelization:

"He cradled her gently and placed his hand on her abdomen. He closed his eyes. Called on the Force. Ben didn't have much strength left, and he was about to do something he'd never done before. Fortunately, Rey had shown him how to give."

From Skywalker: A Family At War:

"Through their dyad connection, she had healed him, saving a life that was hers for the taking, proving that kindness was more powerful than hate. Cradling her body, Ben repaid his debt with what little strength he had remaining."

Ben's knowledge of the specifics of the technique clearly came from Rey - whether through their dyad link or simply by paying attention when she used it on him earlier in the film is vague, but one way or another she definitely "taught" him how to do it.

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    How are there some who still don't understand their connection? Even after TFA we understood that they were connected somehow and were learning things about the Force from each other.

16. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Did we? I doubt their connnection was planned in this form in TFA. That Rey downloaded the abilities from Kylo's "cloud" came out officially only after TLJ.

Then in TLJ came the thing with her connection that lets her talk over long distances. At that point, it was (at least from what I could tell from the movie) nothing more than that. Except that the two could touch elements from each other's environment (the water on Kylo's glove). In the same movie, Snoke is said to have created this connection.

Then in TROS it is suddenly a dyad. A very rare connection between two people, so it wasn't created by Snoke after all. Now you can interact directly with objects from each other's environment (Kylo steals Rey's necklace) and even lightsaber duels are possible.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's never specifically mentioned that you automatically download each other's abilities and what exactly the connection does now.

Either way, it's perfectly legitimate that people don't understand the connection because it was (imo) introduced at the last minute. At least to this extent. It was more of a coincidence that the concept is now quite "logical", even though I find that very weak as a justification for Rey abilities in TFA

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think people are way too mechanical thinking for this whole Force thing. There's literally nothing more to the healing in TROS than literally sacrificing one's own life force for another. It's not like they have to doctor it, coax cells to heal or whatever. They are sacrificing all or part of their own life for another.

It's kind of like the Force ghost. It's not some alchemical process of transmuting substances into pure Force, like Taoist inner alchemy. It's surrendering the individual self to the Force, becoming annihilated in the Force and then subsisting. They aren't clinging to their individual egos, but sublimating them in the Force.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel that way in how we talk about storytelling in general.

Also I blame the gamification of the Force

19. Awushi Awere

May 11, 2020
    What do you mean by this? (Just curious)

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That video games have sorta clouded certain segments of fans perception of what the force is in a way they think the force works on a sense of logic, mechanics and leveling up

In worse cases it’s where the folly promise of grey jedi come from due to some video game characters being able to use light and dark powers without consequence

We forget the force is a mysterious magic that isn’t about level ups and mechanics it works in mysterious mystical and even magical ways

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2021
    Sauron_18 and Link1130 like this.
  21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    In many ways the Force is a higher power that actually guides our characters, not just a pool of mana sitting there to be used.

The mana pool theory is actually part of the gamification problem imo. Which stems from both the table top RPG and video games being dominant in people's experience of Star Wars, and that includes often times the writers of Star Wars.

They lost track of the spirituality of it all.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

that’s one thing I’ve enjoyed about the Disney Era in general

really brought the force back to it’s more spiritual mystical routes

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2021
    Sauron_18, Dawud786 and Awushi Awere like this.
  23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    True. Calling it a "technique" may be overstating it a bit. There's a nice bit of dialogue in the Rise of Kylo Ren comic where Luke compares the ability to use the Force to a door. The door can be open a little, open a lot, or not open at all. For a Jedi, compassion opens the door further, and healing is basically opening the door as far as it will go.

24. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I really like that as it turns Rey fixing BB-8's antenna into foreshadowing to her being able to "open the door" so wide later on.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    That bit from Luke one of my favorite Luke quotes from anything ever.