main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I saw red lightsabers and had a conniption fit of annoyance.

If we never see anymore post-Skywalker Sith (and all their knockoffs), Star Destroyers or Stormtroopers ever again it’ll be too soon.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Even I know that’s asking to much

I honestly don’t care as long as the story is good

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2021
  3. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    If they want to go back to the Sith/Imperial Well then they should play in the Old Republic/OT eras.

New eras should have new challenges and threats.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

In principle I agree but in practice I don’t care so long as I enjoy it

5. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I suppose that’s the difference. I don’t go into these things assuming I’m going to enjoy them in the end.

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

well different mentality I guess.

7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah, I’ve no brand loyalty. They need to win me over with a story and characters that speak to me.

seeker_two likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

well that’s always subjective from person to person.

but nothing wrong with being selective. Better to put effort into what you like then what you don’t.

9. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Never said it wasn’t.

To clarify: I’m not saying the things I don’t like are objectively bad. I’m saying that not all of Star Wars is objectively good just because it’s Star Wars.

I try to be consistent with that across every era of the franchise. Really dislike AOTC in the PT, basically every novel written after NJO in Legends, RotJ in the OT, and a good 75% of the ST in the Disney era.

So, if they say tomorrow that they’re doing a trilogy of the Galaxy facing off against another imperial remnant lead by another Sith Lord, I’m not going to be inclined to embrace that.

Nom von Anor and Sinrebirth like this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh I get that. Enjoy what you like, good, bad objectively as long as you connect with it that’s what matters

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That would be a fun match up.

And just in general a pocket of Drengir waking up sounds like a flexible excuse to put them in just about any era. Heck, just had the players in my star wars tabletop game go through a Drengir overrun colony. Turned out excellent.

I do like the theory that the Cloud Riders of Solo are based at least a bit on the Nihil. Not only do they have similar home-made masks, but the name Cloud Riders fits with the whole Nihil storm theme.

Huh. That is just such the opposite of my opinion I am honestly thrown for a loop by it.

How about a Federation. Surely no space franchise has done that before? ;)

More seriously, I could see them going with Alliance again, either reusing the short lived Alliance of Free Planets name from the old marvel comics, or the Independent Systems Alliance brought in Aftermath: Life Debt https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Independent_Systems_Alliance.

I saw an argument somewhere that I felt made a great point about how Alliance of Free Planets worked better than New Republic as the good guy government name, though I have trouble remembering it....

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@MercenaryAce

I think it would be sorta fun to have them use the name Alliance of Free Planets to have a more confederation type system after the battle of Exegol.

Remember Exegol the idea is that it was random people who came to the aid of the Resistance not a organized military like the Rebel Alliance.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  13. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    The natural reaction to the events of the last century would be to abandon the idea of a central galactic government, I would have thought.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A pirate's dream it is then.

15. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    I'm thinking of several different nations, each with their own capital like Chandrila, Serenno, Eriadu, etc. with the new Jedi as a (presumably) neutral organisation, facilitating relations between them.

16. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I am not sure why that would be the natural idea. The New Republic brought thirty years of peace and prosperity, the Old Republic brought a thousand, and the Older Republic brought thousands more than that.

In contrast, many world went independent and refused to join the New Republic after the Empire...and usually we hear about them suffering from poverty, crime, and ultimately being swallowed up by the first order before their attack on the galaxy.

Plus, as a historian, I cannot help but remember all the times China fell apart only to reunify - no dynasty was perfect and many times the government was neglectful or tyrannical, but the idea of the empire, of belonging to it, was deeply ingrained and people put much effort into reunifying each time. And while Rome never successfully reunified, a lot of people tried very hard to do that (and honestly the failure was more fighting over who gets to rule the empire than people not wanting the empire) and the idea of Rome and its legacy vastly outlived its actual empire. The Republic would logically have even more cultural weight than that, being something that is older than recorded history for many of its member worlds.

Now, all that said, part of the reason I could see the term alliance pop up again is specifically if they go that direction, of more of a loose alliance of independent states rather than a true galactic government again. Frankly, with how the Independent Systems Alliance is used in the story, proposed as an alternative to a New Republic with more independence that almost overtakes it until the events of the novel lead to people deciding for the New Republic again, almost strike me as foreshadowing what comes after the sequels.

(Though honestly both Republics were so hands off I am not sure what the practical difference really is.)

Nom von Anor, Gamiel and Riv_Shiel like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@MercenaryAce

At the very least the GFFA seems to have a cycle of Republic-Empire-Republic-Empire.

I mean with a vast galaxy of various aliens/culture/ etc, I don't know how hands on you can be unless you are the Empire/Sith.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2021
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting - I was expecting Ronin to be after nine since the bandits had FO armor, but it seems it is more AU - and I was expecting Twins to be some what-if nebulous AU but is actually post-9. Finally, I was expecting the Ninth Jedi to be some ancient point in the timeline, but it is actually far future.

Well, guess I am pretty bad at placing these.

Still, even with just this limited info and knowledge that these stories hardly coordinated their continuities...it does seem to paint an interesting picture of a post nine galaxy, where doesn't seem to be a third republic or any galactic authority, where imperial remnants hang on even after the failure of the first order but are again reduced to little more than warlords and bandits, and where the new jedi are more spread out and secretive, during their work in such a way not many even know they exist.
    Heck, I think the Duel could be worked in their two - maybe Rey's order didn't forbid attachment, so you ended up with jedi clans who ended up with an empire of their own, only for a group of them to take up the old name sith to rebel against clans, they become ronin and do good, and eventually the clans fade or fall and the jedi order reforms around the ronin, wandering from world to world doing what good they can.

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Maybe Post 9 material is the new Bantam Era of Star Wars

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how long Rey was the last jedi before she trained more besides Finn of course. I mean Grogu, sure. but what others. and seeing as ninth jedi is post TROS, lets take some of it as canon. how far into the future are we 50+plus years. If Rey did one student at a time and was smart and not doing the Luke thing and being student to 20 kids at once. And training to be a jedi could be 10+plus years. I doubt ant jedi order or acedemy is up any point this time. probaly more lone samurai style with thier numbers so small.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  23. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Did they specify that? I know they've said the shorts don't have to adhere to continuity, but I don't recall anyone saying they explicitly aren't canon.

Awushi Awere likes this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    they are canon as myths and legends, they might be canon and canon events, but we won't know until more stories come out of it.

BigAl6ft6 and Awushi Awere like this.
  25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If I shared this already my bad but someone made a cool little remix of Rey killing Palpation with Kylo saying "Let the past die" over it and it really is poinient when you think about it.