main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

How did this come to be though and what is the reasoning behind it aside uniting chronologically the Palpatineology separate from the non-Palpy movies in the beginning? Bet it has to do with which movie spoils which so to watch all without any movie spoiling another this is it?

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

A podcast I like called Skytalkers talked about that order in one of their episodes https://skytalkers.com/2021/03/31/star-wars-marathon-nesting-viewing-order/

And IDK it makes sense since I've always been TFA as one entry point into the Star Wars universe with Rey being our audience POV character.

Then flashback to ANH and ESB to context to Luke

Flashback to the Prequels to give context to Anakin

ROTJ to give resolution to Anakin's character

TROS in a weird way to give resolution to Palpatine and the ultimate salvation of the Skywalker family.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2021
    ColeFardreamer and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean including III and VI and IX as a trilogy is a good fun moment in many ways.

Hanging onto Rey and Ben mentally for six more films mind you, that’s a lot!

4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The various trilogies could be labeled in the following ways:
    The Skywalker Saga-The Prequels (The Fall of Anakin Skywalker); The Original Trilogy (The Redemption of Anakin Skywalker); The Sequel Trilogy (The Legacy of Anakin Skywalker)

Or

The Palpatine Saga-The Prequel (The Rise of Palpatine); The Original Trilogy (The Fall of Palpatine); The Sequel Trilogy (The Legacy of Palpatine).

JediFett10 and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    All these weird orders are predicated on the fact that there exists someone with absolutely no cultural understanding of Star Wars, someone who's never heard the misquote of Darth Vader saying "Luke, I am your father", yet someone who's willing to watch nine films of cheesy science fiction, in this particular case in an extremely non-chronological order bookended by JJ Abrams films. You do this to someone and they'll be asking "wait, so when does this one take place?" the entire time.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean at the end of the day the "Cultural Understanding" of Star Wars no longer holds much water and quite frankly shouldn't.

There are gonna be kids who watching 1-3 before seeing the "I am your father moment"

There are gonna be kids who really do think the story of Star Wars is the story of the "Palpatine's vs the Skywalkers"

Any sorta purity Star Wars had died with the Prequels and honestly I don't even think it had it to begin with.

And that's just including the Saga films...Add in the EU (Legends and Canon) and the grand star wars story meaning changes.

For me

You watch in Chronological order if you want to experience Star Wars from a In-Universe perspective

You watch in release order if you want the out of universe evolution of the franchise

Honestly this new order I think works well with sorta understanding Star Wars with the Sequel Trilogy as sorta the core.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    If we were to imagine the "Nesting Order" like Russian nesting dolls, wouldn't that make the prequels the core?

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Part of me wants to say that was discussed in the podcast but I'm not sure

But i think yes and i think it works if one sees Anakin and Palpatine as the key

Or even the whole "Learn to cheat death" angle too

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Watching 6 with 3 immediately in mind does strengthen 9, in my mind.

10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Depending what you think Episode X-XII will or should be about where would you order those in then in this alternate viewing order?

Or in other words, does another trilogy have to follow chronologically to the others or could it be interwoven in between and before and after it?

What if f.e. the next trilogy, after the saga of Skywalker and Palpatine adds another angle.

Episode X shows us the world post IX and features some resolution to other plotlines like maybe a Sith spirit as antagonist or the galaxy at peace dealing with Canto Bight folks and preventing a ritual Sith resurrection. Namely of Darth Plagueis

Episoed XI then jumps to a time between other movies where we have PT, OT and ST folks somehow (recast or digital or else) have an adventure that ties into said Sith Lords life and legacy, artifacts, lore and what he attempted. Thus learning about him without using him fully. Like Luke and Ben on a sojourn along with someone from the PT, maybe JarJar, post ROTJ??

Episode XII then is the movieverses end but takes place at its beginning before TPM and shows us an alive Darth Plagueis and fully delves into his experiments that resulted in the Force countering them with the creation of the Chosen One feat. Palpatine, Shmi, maybe young Maul, Sifo Dyas, Dooku, Qui Gon etc. even if some do not meet or know how interwined their lives will be.

Basically, continuing the story but chronologically it unfolds backwardsenveloping the saga and bringing it home to its beginning. With both pre-TPM setting closing it off with the creation of Anakin AND some tie ins to the actual sagas start, ANH too somehow, possibly Alderaan related or Tatooine.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  11. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Following the pattern of the nested order, it'd go:
    X, XI
    VII, VIII,
    IV, V
    I, II, III​
    VI​
    IX​
    XII

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm proposing Fibonacci Order, which is the only viewing order that satisfies several nice combinatorial properties and provides integer valued hypotenuse lengths of right triangles with integral length perpendicular sides. You watch TPM twice, then AotC, then RotS, then ESB, then TLJ, and then you're not allowed to watch any more Star Wars until Episode XIII: Electric Sheev Boogaloo is out in theaters. No TV shows or Star Wars Stories as those would arguably constitute decimal values, which are right out. This viewing order preserves much of the mystery of the franchise by not letting you watch most of it, while also maximizing Jar Jar Binks exposure subject to that constraint.

Edit: Joke aside, any viewing order that interrupts a trilogy is not a good viewing order, IMO. It's true that you can't predict where someone is going to come into the franchise, but if they're going to the trouble of looking up or asking about a viewing order, do them the favor of assuming they want the satisfaction of three complete stories, rather than a sweeping view of the context interrupting one or two or all of them. And if you've already seen all the movies? Then just watch whatever you want! Watch Empire twelve times and then skip to the climactic duel of Revenge of the Sith before going frame by frame through Canto Bight or whatever, **** it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Canto Bight is the low point of the ST for me sooooooooo. No thx.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't mind most of Canto Bight but couldn't stand the character of DJ.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The best thing Canto Bight gave us was the short story collection.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - that wasn't bad. I liked the fathiers as well.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    In that case I would recommend against following the Canto Bight Order, which is where that’s the only sequence you watch, but you watch it nine times. It turns Star Wars into the exact same 15 minutes repeated nine times, preserving much of the mystery of nearly every major reveal.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Nesting order with a 10-12 in mind only works depending n what 10-12 are about.

Nesting order with the Sequels as the outer layer work because in a weird way we are experience Star Wars through the eyes of Rey (And maybe Ben Solo too...But mostly Rey) in that sorta meta sense.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    This was the precise reason I disliked Canto Bight.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I prefered Canto Bight to most of the rest of the movie.

Nom von Anor and ColeFardreamer like this.
  21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Canto Bight's great. A little prequel aesthetic mixed with OT anarchy. And the Canto Bight anthology does wonders to flesh the place out, too. Some great little stories in there.

22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The scene also featured some really fabulous alien designs and costumes.

Sinrebirth and ColeFardreamer like this.
  23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Canto Bight has only one unresolved mystery left: How the hell did some of these alien designs even get into their clothes? Designers should design clothes not on the body but practical so aliens with giant heads or else can slip in and out of them. I mean, it's like Ackbar's uniform all over... it must be some weirdo stretch material to allow his arms and head to fit through!

24. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    I was perfectly happy not being conscious of that. [face_bleh]

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They’re literally sewn into their outfits; they have entire wardrobes full of garments made to be worn exactly once. That’s the level of opulent wealth being flaunted. Clearly. Definitely no out of universe explanation.

Vialco, Alpha-Red, BigAl6ft6 and 4 others like this.