main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    TROS concept artist Jon McCoy posted an awesome blog post looking at some of his design process for that movie. There’s a lot of pretty cool and different visuals there, including very abstract visuals of Rey and Kylo in a throne room and, one of my favorites, the ash-covered Coruscant. Check it out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vialco, AusStig, BigAl6ft6 and 3 others like this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    This is intresting, help explain Palpatine's return in a way makes perfect sense.

I found this intresting regarding Palpatine and quest for Immortality, since before the saga movies begin. And how all his work ties in with TROS, the animated shows help explain it and his masters knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well one thing I’ve always liked about Rise of Skywalker is how intentionally (or probably unintentionally) it tapped into a lot of the Canon material regarding Palpatine and how it all seems to lead to a big comeback scheme

4. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    Agreed and how they seem to be setting him up as the big bad in for the sequels especially with snoke as I think about it.

5. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I was thinking about Norse mythology this morning and realized the image of Palpatine hanging from his machine reminds me of Odin hanging from the tree after giving up an eye and killing himself. Of course Palpatine is fully blind here. And while this could just be coincidental, the deleted scene with the Oracle, who is basically just a head with legs, is too strong a parallel to the future-seeing head of Mimir to ignore.

Are there other potential Norse parallels, whether intentional or not?

Certainly the Sith fleet gathering for the final battle reminds me of Ragnarok. And it makes me wish the Sith troopers were clones of First Order troopers that excelled in battle because it would be a neat adaptation of the Valhalla myth. Then you have Starkiller Base in TFA eating the sun like Fenrir (or did he eat the moon?). I know most of these are likely accidental, but you never know. And it’s interesting either way, even if just as a cultural echo.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    ColeFardreamer, Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    @Sauron_18

Great catch there and yes there are plenty more Norse mythology paralells in the ST and SW overall.

You can compare Kylo Ren to Loki. Though Rey also is partially a Loki figure whenever Kylo is more a Darkside version of Thor.

The Uneti Tree of Ahch-to sits on top of the Kyber Mirror Cave that may connect to the World between Worlds. And in mythology the Yggdrasil World Tree held all worlds in balance and accessible in its branches.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Since it was being flogged for £6.75, decided the hardback novel was worth a look. And it turned out to be quite a bit more than worthy.

Unlike TLJ, where despite his best efforts, I never found that Fry had sufficient leeway to boost the film, Carson has that and the book is better for it. She's able to add in little extra details that really amp it up neatly. From showing more of Exegol to how the Emperor cheated death.

All in all it was a fun, quick read and a rather unexpected surprise.

Sinrebirth and MercenaryAce like this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Sauron_18

Read the Novelization ;)

9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The novelization really cleans up the entire beginning of the film

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That too!

So like...Not sure where to put it so i'll ask here.

I wonder who got chose to go to Exeogl from the Unknown Region escapies and who was chosen to form the First Order?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2022
  11. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I’m on it! I finally bought it a few weeks ago and started reading it.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Praise the Force :p

I want full details when you finished reading cuz the ongoing joke has gone on for so long it needs a satisfying conclusion ;)

Lol, we all kid of course but at least it makes for good reference point if trying to guess what the heck they might do next

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2022
    Sauron_18 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I just read a passage in Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor where the Rogues are in an overwhelming fight against Shadowspawn/Blackhole's forces, trying to deal with the gravity well generators seeded throughout the system and Janson saying "we need a miracle" when Lando drops out of hyperspace with a Mon Cal cruiser saying "anyone ask for a miracle?"

It's so akin to Lando dropping in to Exegol with the People's Fleet that it's hard not to think someone read this book and lifted the idea on a large scale. Kind of like a lot of the Dark Empire callbacks are essentially DE, but on a larger scale. Not just in TROS, but the entire ST. Starkiller is a bigger Galaxy Gun, Luke saving the day at Crait is like Luke on Coruscant but bigger and more Walkers.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    RJ definitely drew from Dark Empire, so potentially we should have seen this coming. [face_laugh]

Vialco and PCCViking like this.
  15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Really, now that I'm re-visiting Mindor... the whole "dark lord takes over young Jedi's body to continue to reign" thread has almost more in common with Cronal trying to possess Luke than anything Palpatine did in DE. He did threaten to take over Luke, but the Cronal plot has a subterranean Shadow Throne and weird sci-fantasy apparatus and bizarre cultists in robes. Plus the star system plagued with anomalies that makes navigation treacherous.

Stang, Cronal's even confined to a hovering chair full of life support because his body is so frail!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Snoke came right from the Lord Shadow's Pawn gambit for certain! Palpatines pawn all along.

PCCViking and Dawud786 like this.
  17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Now Cronal wants to take over Leia's body! TROS is like DExMindor for sure!

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh yeah that's a thing.

chuckles

PCCViking and Dawud786 like this.
  19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I wonder if in hindsight the ST would have benefited from changing the ending of Last Jedi to have Leia go out heroically on Crait and bring Luke back for IX, since Carrie died a full year before TLJ was released.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Certainly an epic idea for her, but not so much for his arc. Both ends fit them as they are best I think. If you leave Luke on Ach-to and give his Crait scenes to Leia, then you need a good reason for him to have learned nothing during the entire movie. Like revealing something that changes the entire perspective in the end as to why he didn't leave. Like he is guarding some bigger evil there or such as in the Art of TFA and TLJ concepts for Ach-to. Imagine Luke guarding Palpatines spirit on Ach-to entrapping him from returning. Snoke being truly himself, and with Leia's death at Crait Luke is shaken enough so that Palpatine can slip away and return in TROS. With previously him only barely managine to reach out for Snoke sometimes but not all the time.
    That way in IX Luke could in the flesh return to the Resistance, overshadow the new cast heroes quite some, and die not by going out to fight himself, but rather protecting the Resistance with passive Forcepowers and the like in the battle leaving the fighting to the younger folks. But that'd weaken Kylo's redemption without Leia. Luke does not work the same way there. So to have his redemption solely rely on Rey, Luke needs to be busy elsewhere. Maybe he could on Kijimi when the Stardestroyer superlaserblasts it and Luke freezes the blast with the Force (like Kylo did in TFA) just on a grander scale and long enough to have Kijimi folks escape and join the Resistance as Luke perishes with the continuing blast having bought them some time.

I wish though that Broomboy would have been in IX. Kinda attached to Finn (who was the FO's broomboy once) and learning from him like in Matrix that kid did from Neo.

QuinlanSolo and PCCViking like this.
  21. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I can remember thinking in the theatre that this was where the "Mary Poppins" scene was going.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    They cut out the song, "Feed the Porgs" from the final cut. :p

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And now it's stuck in my head. [face_waiting]

PCCViking likes this.
  24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Don't forget "Let's Go Fly a TIE." :p

Sarge and QuinlanSolo like this.
  25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think it is under appreciated that kyber crystals bond with their Jedi, and that Rey is literally wielding a bit of Anakin and a bit Leia against Palpatine. It's more than the symbolism of their sabers, the crystals themselves have something of Anakin and Leia as part of them in the Force.

QuinlanSolo and Arawn_Fenn like this.