main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I guess something else to take into account is....Is JJ Abrams someone who likes Return of the Jedi and considered it a good ending to the OT, I mean someone his age being a fan of a A New Hope and even Empire is one thing but Jedi I know is pretty popular and beloved but there are people who think it wasn't the best ending to the OT.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know as much Star Wars chatter and references I've heard from Abrams over the years, I can't nail down a single really ROTJ reference. This is a mite unfair but on the Abrams created and produced show LOST (which, to be fair, he did like Season 1 a bit, came back from the Season 3 opener and that's it) Hurley straight up says "Let's face it, Ewoks suck!"

Anyway, I can't see this being an ROTJ rip off because, frankly, we've already literally had the throne room ROTJ confrontation already (or the Palpatine's office in ROTS). In the middle of the 2nd episode!

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh I know and that's like the BEST thing about The Last Jedi and why I'm so glad they killed off Snoke, the deck has been stacked that makes a ROTJ style final battle alot more difficult. (Unless they go with my idea to have Palpatine return as the incarnation of the darkside ;p ) but that's beside the point.

I'll say that maybe the third act of Force Awakens is more like Jedi then it is ANH as Youtube EC Henry's explains in this video

Long story short; Third Arc is more like Jedi in that it focuses more on the Duel than the Space battle.

I mean you could still have a local group who use primitive tech go up against the FO but that's about it, oh and I guess a return to Jakku...But how much of that is just more like the overtones and the layers are different is well...will have to see.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Going back to Jakku could work because it's actually kind of layered in Force Awakens, what with Rey's whole "back to Jakku" spiel. Unlike the return to Tatooine which is pretty left field as Luke literally says in ANH "There's nothing for me here now." but suddenly the end of ESB "Meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatoonie" which in ROTJ they took it to be "we're going to have an entire 1st act adventure on a planet we literally blasted off and left in the dust in the 1st one". At least if Rey goes back you could find various reasons for it.

Rey Versus Kylo final confrontation on the Sinking Sands of Jakku climax!!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean i guess it could be intersting if the Third Arct takes place on Jakku it be like of Tatooine had WAAAY more importance in Jedi than lets face it I kinda pointless 1st act. Though i’m not sure how ring theory i need for the FO to be destroyed on Jakku like the Empire was.

Still hoping for Vader’s castle and Mustafar myself ;p

But hey again...What do I know

vncredleader and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I've often said that TFA has a lot more in common with ROTJ than ANH, especially when it gets to the third act. But even Maz's Castle is a lot closer to Jabba's Palace than it is to the Mos Eisley Cantina. After all, they are both regal buildings overseen by a powerful patron.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    And ROTJ was a bit of a remake of ANH.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Speaking of Argo, aside from the actual Star Wars references in it, the embassy team definitely has potential parallels to what the depiction of the Resistance might be.

Or more interestingly, maybe the CIA in Argo will inform the First Order in IX and the Iranian revolutionaries will be the parallel with the Resistance!

Yes, I agree. I think the contrast especially is stark when it's looked at next to TLJ and Solo, where the teams behind those movies definitely had a strong well of other works that inspired their concepts of Star Wars and the characters in their movies.

I'd say in line with what Coherent Axe wrote above, in terms of explicit homages to Spielberg, I think it's illuminating to look at Super 8 alongside Stranger Things. Both heavily draw from the Spielberg well, but Stranger Things actually uses those to give itself a much stronger identity of its own (though granted, a series has more time to do that).

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  9. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    JJ can swing for the fences and he actually has people biting instead of letting him flop around. The article straight up says Universal and Disney are interested. Although he doesn't have an original franchise as Bad Robot stuff doesn't seem to be franchise theme park toyetic stuff (which the article sez Abrams would be expanding into). Although I'm sure Bad Robot can make some bank, reliable franchises just not much expanding the franchises beyond theatrical. Unless we get JJ Abrams presents Bad Robot's corner of Disney World where you run from the Cloverfield and Super 8 monster all day. Which could sorta work.

Personally, I'm just wondering about his Paramount deal which expires and all he's done for them dictatorially is a Star Trek in 2013 and that was 2 Star Wars movies ago, I doubt he'll give them another one. They may be ticked about that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    PimpBacca likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So forbs magazine did another Star Wars article today
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...last-jedi-solo-disney-lucasfilm/#58d07b7a3a9a

Yet this was the quote that caught peoples attention...try and see why ;p

But in all seriousness I can definitely see this being in JJ warehouse, I always consider him more of a populist director to coin a phrase.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2018
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah there's JJ seemed to hate Last Jedi and is going to try to fix it with Episode IX which seems... really unlikely since he's a executive producer on Last Jedi and explicitly said he thought the script was great

Jedi Princess likes this.
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think Abrams disliked TLJ at all. But I also think that, as with TFA after the prequels, there's a very low bar that's been set to qualify success with IX among the general audience, though that has probably more to do with Solo and its reception than TLJ.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I found this tweet interesting just based on the basic idea.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    blahhhhhhhhh, I want a trilogy. OCD needs to be sated!

Ghost likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Splitting Episode IX in two would be Disney admitting
    1. they truly think TLJ failed, on multiple levels
    2. they don't have faith in non-saga movies anymore
    3. they make bad decisions and have no idea what they're doing

MrDarth0 and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Bob Iger did talk quite a lot today but I can't find anything about it being episode IX split in two aside from the twittering above by the person with the Jania Solo avatar so I'm going to say this is bunk.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I do know (Because the podcast Star Wars Underworld plaid the audio) that Last Jedi was mentioned as being part of Disney's latest yearly earnings for 2019....Or something....All I know that Last Jedi was a success for Disney financially and that they are very proud of it.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Good

20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, I've searched all over the web. I'm pretty sure that if Iger did say that, a lot of websites would have picked up on it by now. Instead, nothing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Episode 8's title was revealed in January 2017. My astronomy professor told me (lol). So I guess just a few more months until we hear 9's title.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m generally pretty positive about the idea of a two parter Episode IX. I want my ending to be an Ending and a half!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The title for Episode 7 was revealed on November 6th so we could get the title for 9 before next year.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has completed principal photography. #TheForceAwakens #StarWarsVII pic.twitter.com/qBhel6CDjr
    — Walt Disney Studios (@DisneyStudios) November 6, 2014​

24. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Well its already November 9th so I’m still predicting late December-early January.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    probably not trailer this year, unfortunately. So start your bets on Superbowl Episode IX trailer now! Sure, it didn't quite work for Solo but probably be gangbusters this time!