main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I get that...The outcome matters more than the process, although the process can affect the outcome. Plus I just find the history behind movie making fascinating. The entire creative process and what not

One can only hope, or wait and see.

See I guess I disagree since at the end of the day most people seeing these films don't know about the Unknown Regions, all that EU stuff is just for those who enjoy it but it's not necessary at the end of the day, it's more just about adding extra layers who want it. What matters is 9 connect with the two previous films...I could agree the other films 1-6 as well, but that depends on how interconnected you believe all 3 trilogies need to be.

Though i will say if you want Unknown Regions and the likes in Ep 9 I feel like this Theory/Speculation video is right up your ally if you want something fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
  2. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I feel like, to avoid being a COMPLETE retread of Vader, Kylo needs to either live redeemed or die unredeemed. I'm very unsure which is most likely, though.

Ghost and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It already seems like this is totally not what's going to happen, but one thing that I thought would be really great for IX would be more patterned after ROTS than ROTJ -- start with the big mother battle that takes down the FO and then have the rest of the film be Kylo's last stand, Rey chasing him into the Unknown Regions and him retreating to some kind of dark side stronghold so that things can get seriously wacky with mystical Force-ghost stuff front and center. Put the focus on tying up all the "balance" and "chosen one" stuff once and for all.

Ain't gonna happen, but I would like it.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean I'll be curious if Episode 9 has a first act that is completely pointless to the second and third arc ;p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah at least there isn't anything in Last Jedi that points to a self-contained 1st act adventure like ROTJ.

But speaking of ROTJ production, one idea that was in the scripts was Obi-Wan and Yoda (I think!) manifesting physically to confront Vader and the Emperor and I really think we're going to get something like that with Force Ghost Luke. He sure isn't just going to do a ghost sitting on a log pep talk exposition dump, that's for darn sure!

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Man, I hope they have him haunting Kylo. I want Mark in full Twitter-trickster mode.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry for the late reply, have had much on my hands.

but what about the part that it seems to call out for Rey and give her visions of Knights of Ni... I mean Ren, in the rain, ghost voices and all that when she touch it?

As presented in TFA so did it seem to me that Kylo did not really like what he was doing and he was talking to Vader's helmet in a way that implied (to me at least) that he needed to continue on this path for some reason.

Well, going by the way TLJ took the story, no: since he now don't seem to care about that bit. But in TFA that seemed to be one of the reason, if not the reason, that he was doing what he is doing.

But Vader's all parental figures was not the main heroes of the previous three movies who got a happy ending.

I fully agree

true but it's still strange that such an historical artefact is not in the hands of the Republic or FO if it now was saved from falling into the heart of Bespin.

But if that's the case why did she need to find it and then give her visions of Knights of Ren, in the rain, ghost voices and all that when she touch it? Would not a: "Danger! Danger! First Order attack group on the way! Grab the gang and run, preferably to Resistance" vision be a better idea?

Progress of what? Duty to what and why do he feel this duty?

If that's the case (and my impression of the movie is that we don't know) why do he feel a need to finish all that? Especially since Vader's last act was to forsake all that.

Here's to hope [face_coffee]

We seems to be seeing this different to me those things are mysteries, not lore and/or background details (well, I would admit that the "How the heck did Mez get Anakin's 'sabre" part could be a background detail)

I can agree with that

But why did she need to find it so much that it calls out for her? It’s not that it’s such an important item as an device, what makes it important, at least here, is historical/symbolic/fanservice. And what’s with the visipons she sees of Knights of Ren, in the rain, ghost voices and all that when she touch it?

Also, can we call her “active light-sider” since this seems to be the first time she dose/feel something like this? Isn't she just being "activated" as a "light-sider”?

Here we seem to have taken different things from the film, to me Kylo showed signs of being conflicted because he did not like the path he was walking.

Is that something we know or just assumptions? Because I don’t remember that being said in the movies

Refresh my memory, were was told that “Snoke's been preying on Kylo since he was young”?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  8. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Well it's an important symbol throughout the film; it lets her defeat Kylo and it leads her to Luke. If we're talking Force and destiny stuff, it's important. She also happened to be in the same building as it; not like it called to her from across the galaxy.

As for the visions, psychometry is already established, as are Force visions directly related to fateful events. Besides, what it mainly does is to catch the viewer up on some backstory, so it's not even meant to be a mystery; it's actually filling in a few details.

And Snoke and Kylo both sense the "awakening" while Rey's still en route to Takodana, so she's already Force-sensitive, and she confirms that sense has "always been there" in TLJ.

Yes, from the novelization.

The novelization again.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I really want Star Wars Gen Z Episode III to get a title already!

10. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Boy, you're sure pushing that buzzword recently.

And uh, considering Gen Z is the generation born in the mid-90s, surely the actual Episode III is the Gen Z Episode III?

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Just wanted to share this picture of Billy Dee.

As much as I love crunchy peanut butter, there are certainly other things in life that are better smoooooooooth.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh yah guys Lando is in the movie! Lando! We're getting 3 Chewie movies back2back2back and 2 Lando movies back2back!

I'd bet this post there's a Harrison Ford Solo SOMETHING scene in the movie somewhere. I can feel it! Okay, maybe that's a wee bit optimistic but Lando and Chewie!

It's downhill from here, isn't it? :(

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wouldn't be totally surprised if we see Han in a flashback scene of him and Leia delivering young Ben to the Jedi Temple, if that is indeed one of the unused scene from TFA that Leia will appear in.

I'm very happy that Billy Dee Williams is finally going to appear, but it's really unconscionable that he wasn't part of the sequel trilogy from the start. And I have a suspicon that if Carrie Fisher hadn't died, he probably wouldn't have been asked to come back.

Havac and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Supposedly an early draft of TLJ had Lando in DJ's role.

They ultimately decided against, y'know, having one of the most popular characters from the OT become a villain...

15. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    DJ's not a villain, though. He's Han before the third act of A New Hope.

Still not who I would want General Lando Calrissian, hero of the Battle of Endor, to be. But they reset Han and people seemed to like that, so I can see why they would consider resetting Lando too. And they didn't end up doing it, so it's not like you can hold it against them; sometimes the bad idea just has to be said out loud so you can move past it creatively.

16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Jedi Princess likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A bit worse than that - by actually "selling out" the whole Resistance - giving the First Order the info they need to detect the cloaked ships.

18. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Fair point.

vncredleader and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, having Lando as DJ in TLJ wouldn't have fit, IMO. He got all that out of his system during TESB. Having him be the double crosser would have been a severe regression of his character, I think.

20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    You are incorrect.The Prequels are in the Generation right before because the Gen Z’s are growing up now. The Gen Z kids were infants/babies/toddlers when the Prequel trilogy was out in theatres. Millennials grew up with the Prequels just as Gen Z is growing up with the Sequels.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The first and oldest Gen Zers were born after 9/11.

22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Rebel Files also implies that Lando went into the private sector and made a fortune (and the New Republic military laments this loss severely). So, if anything, Lando might be a well-to-do businessman at the time (who helped provide the X-wings and A-wings - maybe the Bombers - to the Resistance).

23. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    That's just Lando going back to his roots as "responsible".

24. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Didn't Lando try his hand at being a district attorney six years after Jedi?

25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    There's nothing to suggest that if Lando had been in the general DJ "role", that role would have played out as it does in the final film. In fact I'd assume rather the opposite, that Lando wasn't used because the plot ultimately needed DJ to do something that Lando wouldn't.