main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The ERAGON Movie Discussion Thread~ May your swords stay sharp!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    My mom dragged me and one of my friends out to go see it and... I thought it was a bit pathetic.

It felt very rushed and gave no chance to develop the characters. I was hoping that they could have made the movie better than the book (I do not like the book), but... *shrugs*. For the record, I found most of it pretty amusing, especially the dialogue. The "You look fit for battle" line had me and my friend laughing non-stop even when we got out of the theatre.

Baby Saphira was very cute, though. However, I think the entire movie was more focused on the special effects than anything else.

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    There is one problem with that approach, and that is that often what film critics are looking for in a "good film" isn't what the rest of the audience is looking for.

As condescending as you might want to be about films, most people go to the movies for entertainment. If you look at the highest grossing films in history (adjusted for inflation or unadjusted), the vast majority of those films are basically popcorn movies. Most people go to just have fun and escape. Explosions, sword fights, and superheroes tend to fit the bill (and are overrepresented on the list of highest grossing films). Similarly, when you adjust for inflation, you can see a lot of films targeted to children (especially of the Disney variety).

There's really only been one film critic that I pay any attention to: Gary Arnold at the Washington Times. Virtually every time I have gone to see a movie, I have checked his review of it. Almost without fail, when he has panned the movie, I really enjoyed it, and when he rated it highly, I really couldn't stand it. (About half of the time, I check his review after seeing the film.) He even panned the Star Wars re-releases a bit (although he didn't give his usual * that he reserves for other scifi, he actually went as high as *** for them, on a 4 star scale).

Film critics might know what makes a good, artistic movie, but in my experience, they more often than not completely miss the point of the "fun" movies.

Kimball Kinnison

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    That's exactly why I go to movies. Fun, camaraderie, escapism. In fact the only movies I ever go to are the really over-the-top superhero/fantasy/OMG explosions. The more thought provoking "film-as-art" type ones I would really rather watch in the quiet of my own home.

I went to Eragon with that attitude, even after reading the book which I thought was forgettable. I just wanted to see a big freakin dragon and how hot the elf girl would be.

4. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Who else LOVES the Eragon wallpaper?

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Did anyone buy the Eragon dvd? I got the special edition and it actually has some really good special features. I was very happy to see the deleted scens though I wish they would've been in the movie. They had a couple of scenes including Katrina, the scene where the twins innterrogate Eragon and the one where Eragon blesses the baby.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I haven't bought the dvd yet, but I may get around to it sooner or later..

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I bought the two-disc. I thought it was worth it.

The home viewing was definitely better than the theatrical viewing. So the film goes from 4/10 to 5/10.

The special features are good. Director Steffan Fangmier is so full of himself in the interviews and Paolini's trying to use college-ese grammar.

Let there be an EE. I liked the Deleted Scenes. Add another 40-50 minutes and this may go up to a 6 or 7 perhaps.

8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I can honestly say I have never talked at a movie until Eragon.

It was so bad I was leaning over to a fanforce member I went with and kept saying how bad it was and how they ripped off every movie they could think of.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    It is watchable IMO. But so is Kull the Conquerer and Conan the Destoryer and they both sucked big time.

I suffer without my Stone. Do not prolong my suffering.

10. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "it's as academic and personal"

That's just it..it's personal..subjective..an opinion.

I don't care about the academia of it, it's still an opinion.
    Sometimes they forget we moviegoers want to be entertained and they pick
    apart the movies for miniscule reasons that most of us wouldn't bat an eye at.

I don't pay any attention to the critics, I go and form my own opinion.
    To not see a movie b/c a critic gave it thumbs down is giving them too much
    power and credit IMO.

The only thing I envy about them is they get paid, and some paid well, to watch movies
    and offer critiques. How much easier can life be. lol

11. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    I still gotta see this. I'll rent it this week.

12. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Another thing that annoyed me was Saphira was too smart-allecked. Maybe it's just me.

Baby Saphira is cute and reminds me of one of my cats.

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    We might be watching this tonight. When Eragon stares at the sunset. I'll definitely be humming the Force theme like the last time. Believe it or not it cues the entire scene perfectly.

14. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    My family watched it and believe it or not...they thought it wasn't that bad. Nowhere on the level of LOTR or Narnia, but I didn't get lectured for wasting money buying it.

15. CassaSoloDaughterOfA

CassaSoloDaughterOfA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    My family liked it as well but...I'm a huge Eragon fan.
    I've read the novels, I've met Christopher Paolini and received an autograph that I practically keep vaulted...
    But the movie disappointed me more then anything.

They rushed it, they changed the story line and made it...
    I don't know...un - fufilling, if you will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.