main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Sorry if this has been said before, just ignore it if so.

Err...am I just missing something, or is ROTS dated incorrectly? On the map it says the events of the film begin on 15:5:20, and the events of AOTC begin in 13:5:16. Isn't ROTS in the year 16, and also beginning on 5:19?

2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes, the ROTS date is wrong on the map. Editing error.

The Farlax map from the Behind the Scenes article is an interesting historical document, but not canon.

3. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    5:20 should be correct. Going by Pablo's timeline in one issue of Insider, it would be 5:19, but there's an unnecessary day in that timeline that's not indicated by the movie, and makes the course of events work better if it's left out?specifically, the day between Obi-Wan and Yoda investigating the Temple and Obi-Wan meeting Padme.

4. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    ok, I figured out why I thought Roxuli was in Albanin. The text says the OF would stop in Mondress and then "if necessary" in Albanin. Since Roxuli was the last stop, I thought that meant Roxuli was in Albanin. The key words however are "if necessary." Tying in that statement with Atlas, it was NOT necessary, which would mean Roxuli is in Mondress Sector. I noticed Jason has put Roxuli and Mondress both in Expansion Region, but not definitely assigned Roxuli to Mondress, which I suppose he should if I am reinterpreting the passage correctly.

Also, I noticed online has not placed Alderaan in a sector yet; recall it is in Alderaan Sector acc to Marvel #53.

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    where are the Echani worlds and Tyrsus? not in the appendix and not mapped! [face_shame_on_you] :_|

sorry, Thyrsus is in... great, so are the other Echani worlds close to it, I assume?

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Eshan itself is in N8, and Thysus in M8, so approximately together.

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason: On the Xim map, is Xo's Eye the planet Kessel itself, or a name for the Maw?

Eshan is the Echani homeworld? Where'd that come from?

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    thx^^

Something that caught my eye:

The Slice is well known and developed up to Hutt Space. But no galactic area has been the topic of so many wars and conflicts like the space between the Hydian Way and the Perlemian.

The galaxy is huge, but this "tiny" vector features not only the SITH but also the MANDALORIANS/TAUNG, the Echani, the Arkanians with their experiments on countless species, ...
    Why is this space so important? Why did the most warfaring species occupy this space? Even the Killiks and Rakata and Celestials had had business to some extent in that region.
    Compared to the Slice and galactic northern half the galactic south looks peacefull and a better place to stay than elsewhere.

some more thoughts/questions:

Is the Ash Worlds Sector called Ash Worlds because of the devastation of many of them in wars between Xim, the Allied Tion and later the Republic with the Hutts?

On the maps and detail maps it looks as if the Hydian turns right at its end in the corporate sector and could be elongated to reach Parthovian Cl... same for the Perlemian. Might they potentially meet there? if so it could be interesting

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Encyclopedia, I believe.

To the southern quadrant, Ceiran - the Nagai, Tofs and Ssi-Ruuk would disagree. [face_laugh]

The Slice was so bad seemingly because of the Hutts.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Timeline/Atlas question: The battle at Mindor, much as it was in the NEC, is in the second year AE... but LSSM places it in the first (and with the Rogue Squadron references, it can actually be placed at just before 6 mths AE on the original dating, and just before 9 mths AE from the Omnibus dating). How do we reconcile the dates here?

11. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I think it's been assumed since the release of Mindor that the dates from that book were a mistake. I don't know anything about the Rogue Squadron situation, though.

12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The roster for Rogue Squadron only fits between Requiem for a Rogue and In the Emperor's Service. (Just prior to the Battle of Brentaal, essentially)

13. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason: I noticed Port Bianco (Danju) is listed online IN Tapani, but the WEG map shows it just OUTSIDE the Sector borders, assumedly in Herglic Space

Ceiran or anyone with Encyc: confirmation on Eshan, please?

14. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    CONFIRMED ;) Eshan is mentioned in one of the Echani entries as the Echani homeworld but has no entry of its own. Same entry mentiones the Sun Guards of Thyrsus. So yub, it is Eshan.

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Nagai and Tof and even Ssi-Ruuk were rare shortlived instances of trouble. A local system vs. system war would be more troublesome to the inhabitants there than that^^ and they happen a lot more often with planetary differences.

But talking invasions, the Ssi-Ruuk never came very far or does any secondary souce detail other worlds they attacked? Like *looks at Atlas* those closer to Bakura than Endor. And the Nagai and Tof, how would life under their occupation be like? Do we really know that or enough about that?

Still, the northern galactic half has seen countless more wars and invasions than the South could ever dream off :p even while still mostly underexplored wars reached Dantooine and outlying single colonies like Ord Mantell. Also, if I am not mistaken, most ORD Depots were built in the northern galactic half and only a few in the South. There has to be a reason for that, too. (yeah, the Crusades against Aliens but aside from that troublesome time of High Human Culture idiots there were real threats, too. and more in the North)

But aside from the "north" a special point within the North is even most dangerous and battled for/against. Xim the Despots former Empire between Sith and Hutt space. Why? anything special there? only because Sith are close by or Hutts are? or because of warfaring humans there... looking at the maps, I get the impression the worlds with the highest human populations are those most often seeing battles and wars, even in the South Eriadu and friends are battlefields whenever war breaks out while sourrounding areas are more or less just space fleets move through to get to the human populated areas.

16. JonCrites

JonCrites Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2001
    Finally got my copy in the mail yesterday! All I got a chance to read was the introduction but I am very interested in reading this thing cover to cover at least once.

17. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    This is very insightful. I think we see it often in the real world as well. In the U.S. for example there's a strong geographic component to political/ideological battles, e.g. "red states" (central) versus "blue states" (coastal).

Dan

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The same map has the Giju Run saying "To Herglic Space" apparently off the sector map, so it's doubtful it's there.
    The system only appears on the GM map, and is only accessible via a jump from a planet in the Freeworlds, so I think it makes logical sense to just include it in Tapani Sector.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You forgot zombies vs. pirates.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The only roster thing which really places it firmly is Hobbie thinking of Standro Jcir while he's drifting around wishing for people to rescue him, and is a little delirious. As Standro was added to the squadron in ITES, and the squadron spent that entire storyline prepping for Brentaal and taking the planet, in rapid succession, and then Standro died, there's just no real room to fit LSATSOM into the middle of the comic arc, which is the only place it could go. I think we're best off relegating Hobbie's wishful thinking to the realm of truly wishful thinking and place it post-ITES, which agrees with all other given roster information.

Besides that, the only other firm dating is in the opening scroll, which places it in the first year. Ignore that, or chalk the scroll up to Geptun, no problem, and we can stick with the always-otherwise-official mid-5-ABY date without any problems at all.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Sounds good to me, Havac. Placing it in the first year messed up the placement of anything related to "General Skywalker" anyways...

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    And plants vs. zombies. And Stalin vs. martians.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And Alien vs. Predator.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think we can safely overlook the implication of the scroll based on other references in the text ( the first one is about Luke ):

25. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    In the Atlas Online Companion, there are a number of systems that have a sector given, with another in brackets. Is the name in brackets a subsector? For instance,

"Biitu - Cassander (Tadrin) - Outer Rim Territories - K-5" Is Biitu in the Tadrin subsector of the Cassander sector?

"Bortras - Brema (Reithcas) - Outer Rim Territories - M-18" Is Bortras in the Reithcas subsector of the Brema sector?

~ Eyrezer