main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    I apologize for the double post, but while we have your attention Jason, can you clarify something for us at the Wook?

We noticed you changed the name of the planet Bofa II to "Bota II." However, the X-wing game spells it as "Bofa II" while the game's strategy guide spells it as "Bota II," which was probably a typo. We also noticed that Bota is a system in both the Atlas and the online appendix. Does this mean Bota II is the canon name of the planet, and if so, is it in the Bota system? Thanks.

2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Ah, that explains it. I didn't know it was the guide that was in error. I'll check with LFL, but unless they have some objection we'll change Bota to Bofa. (Maybe a good thing to note in the entry?) Sorry about the mess.

3. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    The Dossier? Pretty sure that "Cracken's Threat Dossier" is different from "Cracken's Rebel Operatives".

EDIT: But I'm guessing that's what you meant, since the Wook has Baarak coming from CRO. So...never mind. :p

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    He means Operatives. I couldn't find anything either, but I was mostly skimming.

5. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    Yeah, my bad, I meant to say Operatives. I always get the names of those two mixed up. :p

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    OK, geographic hunters. Here is the list of bounties, i.e. page numbers to be found so cases can be scrutinized for the next online appendix:

ADVENTURE JOURNAL 9
    Kurdavvian sunrise

CSW: THE EARLY ADVENTURES
    Kholes -- I suspect this one may be in the actual newspaper strips and missing from the Dark Horse reprints, as was the case with Tzarib

POLITICS OF CONTRABAND
    Thorsgild

STAR WARS TALES ISSUE 5
    Moobian torsion valve

Many thanks for any help!

7. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    Thorsgild: The Politics of Contraband p. 55.

"You momentarily remember Simms Jonndril talking about a favorite haunt of his on Thorsgild. He called it the "Blood Bucket," as you recall. From Jonndril's colorful description, the Blood Bucket was a high class establishment compared to this black hole."

Moobian torsion valve: I couldn't find any mention of it in Tales #5. I did some Google searching and found that it was mentioned in "Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Episode I" so I checked there. It appears in a cross-section of Watto's Junkshop on page 20 of the book. There's no additional information about it, it just says "Moobian torsion valve" and points to some object I can't make out.

8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Many thanks! We're just two away....

9. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Kurdavvian sunrise

After skimming through the book for the 3rd time, I finally discovered the phrase in Paul Danner's Easy Credits. Not much info, though, only a mention in a sentence (page 171):

Kalieva's face lit up like a Kurdavvian sunrise. She ran over to Sconn, throwing her arms around his neck.

There's some other interesting mentions in the same story:

page 162: It caused the "s" sound to be stretched out into something vaguely reminiscent of a Deryvian snake's hiss.

page 163: "Why else would you be dressed in hat Ferijian ape suit? To impress women?"

10. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    Kholes: You were right, Jason, this one wasn't in the DH reprints. I found it in the story "Tatooine Sojourn." The bottom right corner of the last panel says "9-30 #30" which I'm guessing is the publication date and number of the comic. The person speaking below is a Rebel operative named Anduvil:

"I was on Tay'ah'loo when an unscheduled capsule came down on that planet. Within days, the population had been decimated by Bledsoe's! Imperial troopers arrived to cart away the dead...and disinfect the planet! Shortly afterward, the Rebel outpost on nearby Kholes was wiped out by Imperial forces!"

The text implies that both Tay'ah'loo and Kholes are in Imperial space.

11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    AWESOME! And a bonus world I'd never heard of! (Though now I wonder how many others might be hiding in the newspaper panels....)

Many, many thanks!

This clears the way for a pretty massive online appendix update, as soon as we can get it cued up....

12. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    One more thing, Jason. I was looking through the Online Appendix and found no mention of the Breago system, the system where the planet Seikosha is located. However I did find "Seikosha" listed under the system names. Was this meant to be Breago? Or are systems in the appendix listed by the name of their planet?

13. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    It's a mix. Whichever name a reader is most likely to search under, I believe.

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Haruun Kal is listed as "Haruun Kal" rather than "Al'har", and Borleias is listed as "Borleias" rather than "Pyria", and Ithor is listed as "Ithor" rather than "Ottega", FWIW.

So I would say that it is more likely to be by planet. Though I guess that goes with what you said, since most readers would know the name of the planet, rather than the system. Ithor, for example, is usually shown as "Ithor" in most sources, and not as "Ottega IV". And in the movies, planets usually get referred to by their name, rather than their system. When they do get referred to by name, it is usually "(planet name) system".

EDIT: For example: "I am sending you to the Mustafar system in the Outer Rim. You will be safe there." -Grievous
    "But sir, the Hoth system is supposed to be devoid of human forms." -Piett
    Though nearly every planet mentioned in the movies is located in a "(planet-name) system". The exception is Ord Mantell, which is located in the Bright Jewel system but is referenced by Han as "Ord Mantell" in ESB (though admittedly, the events he is referring to did occur on that specific planet). But in general, I'm guessing that due to the movies, most fans will know the planet by its name, rather than its system, and so the Atlas is geared that way. And usually, that one planet is the only planet in the system that has had any info given about it (exceptions include Corellia, Cularin, Anoat, and Kashyyyk).

Which makes me realize: i would love a gazetteer article on the Cularin system.

15. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    The rule we went by -- which I won't claim is science -- was to use the name we thought the general citizenry of the SW galaxy would be most familiar with. Mostly that's a leading planet. Sometimes it's a system.

Added benefit: This lets you not have to list things as, say, Despayre.

16. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification Jason (and everyone else).

17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    hmm... now why then doesn't the appendix list Unknown Region worlds by their scout datalog number because the general citizen does not know the names :p

18. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I looked through Dossier also and came to the same conclusion, that Klatoon is a misinterpretation (on Bob Vitas's part maybe?) of "Klatooine"
    and does this mean Hammo is a system?
    I assume Elea/Kel is human, and Galltine and Hammo are human worlds?
    can anyone give us any info on Pzandias and Xxan? Position, wildlife, inhabitants, significance?

19. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I can do that. Here's what I sent to Jason.

Unfortunately, there isn't much said about the two new worlds in Dooku's Secret Army. The most said about Xxan is on page 53:

Dooku's Secret Army p. 53 posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Xxan turns out to be a watery planet in the Outer Rim. You have to land your fighter in a tiny spaceport sticking up out of the surrounding oceans, before taking a turbo-lift down to the underwater city of Acquos, which is housed inside a giant plasteel dome many kilometres in diameter.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's even less said about Pzandias. Dookus operates there with impunity, so I'm guessing it's in a region of space controlled by the CIS. It's said to have a "barren landscape" (22) and to be a "desolate rock" (25) covered with large boulders "strewn across the rocky plateau that makes up Pzandias's terrain" (58), but it has a breathable atmosphere.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Jason, one query;

Carbos' location?

Is it near Korriban, or near Roche? The Atlas has two locations, being. Ditto Cathar, actually. Thoughts?

21. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    wow when I posted that world list with the sources I didn't own, I honestly didn't expect much response, but y'all guys are fantastic...thanks!

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Carbos (from Legacy of the Force) is near Roche; Corbos (Leviathan) is near Korriban.

The placement of Cathar on the p. 21 map is wrong; the p. 32 map placement is correct.

Was just reading the Unknown Regions Sourcebook to close out material for the next online appendix. Great book!

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh yes, Carbos and Corbos. Sorry. [face_blush] So... the battle in the Roche system shifted clear out of it? Interesting indeed.

Thanks with regards to Cathar.

24. Xoxaan11594

Xoxaan11594 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2009
    Where is Doan (from the most recent Darth Bane novel) located? For some reson, I picture it as being near Apatros.8-}

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, I have a question. How can Esseles have multiple Senators at once (ala Coruscant and the Core Worlds). Also, how can some sectors have multiple senators (ie, Corulag, Brentaal, Esseles, and Chandrila all have separate senators, despite these 4 worlds being in just 2 regional sectors). Are some of the more important Core Worlds Sectors actually divided into 2+ represented districts due to their population, wealth, or prestige as core founders? (Something else for the Rim to resent!)

Another question: how can Toydaria and Saki have senatorial reps, being in Hutt Space? (sources "Senate Murders" and MedStar duology respectively). Is this where the seats reserved for individual systems, rather than sectors, come into play (might also explain Kamino)?