main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    That's cool!!! Great to see authors consulting the Atlas!!!

Anyway, no new worlds in the three separate Planets of the Galaxy-volumes which are not in the Planets Collection...

2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Excellent -- thanks Eddie!

Behold the magic of crowdsourcing: The list of editions to check has already shrunk dramatically. Thanks for all your help so far! Here's what remains to be checked (and it's most likely better than this, as I doubt the Classic Adventures anthologies updated anything except stats):

Classic Adventures 1
    Classic Adventures 2
    Classic Adventures 3
    Classic Adventures 5
    GG2: Yavin and Bespin, 2nd edition
    GG3: The Empire Strikes Back, 2nd edition
    Imperial Sourcebook, 1st edition
    Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
    Star Wars Sourcebook, 2nd edition

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

HOLY EU LOVE... CW Secret Missions #2 features surprise surprise:

a new Kwa/Kwi Startemple in the Unknown Regions somewhere between Chiss Space and the Known Galaxy. in a sector that has a weird Black Hole emitting radiation that renders all Hyperspace travel impossible in the whole sector (looks like they are IN the Celestial made barrier there and see one of the reasons why it is a barrier)

but back to the Star Temple that is on a moon Pirates stranded in the sector call Plunder Moon.

Holy EU love.. Rhyder Windham is better than ever ;) love it.. more as I read more...

PS: just figured... Kwi/Kwa thus once extended INTO the Unknown Regions and not just towards Gree Space as we previously knew. more ancient superpower stuff is always cool

4. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    I will look through the WEG titles still remaining on Saturday-morning to see if anything new is added...

5. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    I compared the two SWSBs side-by-side, the content appears to be more or less the same. All of the new content from The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook appears to have been reprinted in the second editions of the three movie GGs, I didn't come across anything I didn't recognize. I had read the second edition of GG3 a couple of weeks ago, and I don't recall coming across any new planets. I just scanned through the adventure at the end of it and there's nothing new there either.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Sweet. Gree and Kwa never get enough love.

I like the black hole setting, too... almost as if they built a black hole corridor a la the Maw to section off the whole western frontier?

7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

yubyub ;)

in the Chiss topic I also posted already a few more bits. among them that sullusta professors of xenoarcheology say after studying SEVERAL Star Temples across the galaxy that they date back to over 100000 years ago. AND after Quinlan discovered the Dathomir temple, there were more incidents.

these sullustans (9 years ago from the book's perspective) studied another Star Temple at Ova.. when activating it, a Kwa security system kicked in and automatically another star temple, place unknown, fired an Infinity Wave at Ova to prevent the Kwa tech abuse. luckily the sullustans were on their way back from coruscant to Ova as the wave destroyed Ova completely and the Sullustans ended up in the blackhole interdicted sector in the UR through a hyperspace accident.

the book also describes the pyrami and startemple in more detail and heroes use it to escape the black hole. after fighting wuffa worm defenders.. from inside their womb :p

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

ahem in the light of all Kwa Star Temple appearances... is this a continuity error?

1) Quinlan encounters Startemple on Dathomir

2) Someone evil fires Infinity wafe at Coruscant

3) Quinlan returns it in on itself destroying the "thing" that fired it

4) what fired it? the Star Temple or a station someplace not on dathomir connected to that Star Temple?, because otherwise Dathomir would be gone and hyperspace travel in its sector nonexistant!

and since the Kwa built the Infinity tech based on Celestial principles (thx Atlas!) might the Celestials have used THEM to create the Hyperspace barrier? after all it is said that hyperspace in the sector where the wave hits and destroys a world is no longer possible. sounds reasonable combined with the TCW books info

thoughts?

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It could be another installation being remotely control from Dathomir countering the order also from Dathomir to a different installation? Dathomir acts as the Kwa Centerpoint, and commands many of the other Kwa installations from afar?

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    that's the impression I got, yub

done with Secret Missions #2 now. Awesome is, in the end of the book, Rhyder Windham specifically thx the Atlas, Jason Fry and all who made it possible since he drew heavily on it as ressource for hyperlanes etc.

;)

ps: plotwise, the end reveals the Sith plot:

20 years ago the Sith trapped/cursed the pirates themselves making sure they strand in the hyperspaceless sector with the black hole

9 years ago Palpatine made sure the Kwa tech studying profs strand there as well

NOW he made sure a Jedi (Nuru) strands there and that he will be lead by the pirates towards the Star Temple in order to return with them all home as only a Jedi could control the tech

and since the Sith made sure through Dooku that the Separatists attack a Chiss space station, ensuring that the JEdi saves the Aristocra taking her along the ride through the black hole sector trapped there, in the end he saves her and while the Chiss do not ally with anyone but rather take their station back with over 60 chiss assault cruisers, the aristocra promises nothing but the ascendancy now has a good image of the republic as potential future allies.

thus this was the first contact attempt with the chiss and a second one will follow Palpatine muses. they just wanted to make sure to have them friendly to the republic who saved one of their own in a faked threat situation.

oh by the way, Nuru Kungurama is a Jedi misreading of the chiss data cylinder when they found the infant in an escape pod. his actual chiss name is: Kung'urama'nuruodo of the second ruling family.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sixty Chiss assault cruisers? I need these books, yes I darn well do. A neat little Sith plotline, there, connecting the Chiss and Republic together over a plan started in 42 BBY... interesting. Throws the Outbound Flight encounter into sharp context - did Palpatine choose a force with Trade Federation/Techno Union vessels on purpose?

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    [face_whistling] buy it and love it. This and the Decide your Destiny books are among the best infoladden young reader books recently.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I recall that the designation 'assault cruiser' was used for the vessel at the Battle of Snevu, actually...

14. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    A new easter egg for Jason, seems the train station in Lightsaber Lost has some location info in the background, on one of the terminals. I assume they're not station names, since the list includes Alderaan, possibly interstellar destinations if the train goes to spaceports.

The names, from top to bottom, are "Burbank", "Glendale", "Arabia" and "Alderaan". Make of that what you will.:p

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    nice catch.. but I'd not have that be planets. maybe districts on Coruscant. alderaan might be an alderaanian district/colony. as for the other three... lol

16. Tyber

Tyber Jedi Knight

Mar 12, 2009
    Is it correct that there are two Yhuli systems (Jospro Sector and Expansion Region) and two Zznza systems (both Outer Rim, S-14) listed in the Online Appendix?

Also, I want to bring up the question regarding Tangling Veil Nebula (Meridian Sector), Veil Nebula (D'Astan Sector) and The Veil (Farstey Sector) again. Is there any chance to clear that up?

Edit:

While flipping through the pages I stumbled across a Beetle Nebula -- the only thing named this way is a space transport... >>> http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beetle_Nebula ;)

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, as I think I mentioned earlier, I'm finally getting around to reading through this beauty cover to cover, and I just finished the Hutt Space section of Part I, and the parts about The Dead Road in particular (and, slightly unrelated, the "taboo" worlds for Hutts) caught my interest, as it is perhaps a more obvious/easier-to-understand example of crafting a story theme out of a particular route/series of planets (as I try to bend my timeline/Fleet Junkie mind to the world of the map junkies).

I'm just wondering (and forgive me if this was addressed earlier in the thread when the book came out) where the inspiration for The Dead Road originated from (be they an actual SW source or realworld influence)?

18. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    My supposition is that The Dead Road is meant to explain how the New Republic could travel to and from Da Soocha, in the heart of Hutt Space, without being spotted by all of the traffic that flows through Hutt hands. It's Dark Empire's storyline equivalent of the Ison Corridor.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Does the history/trail of dead/wiped-out/forgotten planets/races also stem from background DE/EE info/visuals then as well? Or a new elaboration to better explain the existence of the route within that context?

If we ever got a Corellia Antilles-type series, "The Dead Road" wouldn't just be a great subject (dead worlds with species whose name is lost to time, frozen remains of a civilization below a half-derelict space station, a world that requires high Hutt approval to approach, etc), it'd be a a great title.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Hyperspace Xim articles, IIRC, covered some of Dead Road background (I know for sure that it covered the origin of the "Ash Worlds" where New Alderaan was hiding).

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    The Yhuli system in Jospro is correct. The other one and whichever of the two Zznzas you dislike are strays.

I don't understand the question re the different Veil nebulas. They're all different places, with "Veil" a very common, mildly poetic name for a nebula. If there's a specific objection that two or more of them are meant to be the same place, I'm all ears.

Beetle Nebula transport is named after the place. There are a few of those in the Atlas. Didn't seem like there was any reason it shouldn't be so.

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    If anyone has these WEG books and is up for crowdsourcing, the following books/editions still need to be checked for planets/systems that might have been missed for the Online Appendix. Many thanks to anyone who can help....

Classic Adventures 1
    Classic Adventures 2
    Classic Adventures 3
    Classic Adventures 5
    GG2: Yavin and Bespin, 2nd edition
    Imperial Sourcebook, 1st edition

23. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Sorry, I'm not really awake yet. Re Hutt Space, The Dead Road, etc., the biggest influence was actually the LotR maps and Mordor. Details here.

24. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    I was always under impression that the Veil nebula from The Clone Wars comic was supposed to be a continuity nod to a previously established location. There doesn't seem to be any reason to distinguish between "The Veil Nebula" and "The Veil Nebula" anyway: Planet of Twilight mentions it as "fringes of the Spangled Veil Nebula" (note how "the" is not even capitalized!) and The Clone Wars: Hero of Confederacy calls it "THE VEIL NEBULA" (all caps).

Also, there are a couple of new planets in the Clone Wars UK comics: Maarka from The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.6 and Hakara from The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.9.

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I don't see a reason the two Veil Nebulas should be the same, and the established geography argues to the contrary -- Valahari is noted as near Serenno, and the Spangled Veil is near Antemeridian Sector, and those two places aren't close.

Maarka and Hakara will be in an upcoming appendix update.