main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Jason,

Any plans for any expansions that show the borders of the various galactic governments at their height? It would be fun to compare the extent of the Old Republic, Imperial, New Republic, and Galactic Alliance in terms of galactic control. We got a little bit of this in the Atlas (Old Republic borders, extent of Krayt's Empire), but I have always wanted to see more of this.

--Adm. Nick

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, we've got Tatoo I and II as Tatooine's suns -- but Dantooine's sun is Dina and Camooine is in the same system as Dantooine, meaning it can't be simply a star thing.

The simplest solution would be for it to be a suffix in an old language -- Olys Corellisi would probably be ideal -- meaning -planet. It can be a pretty flexible concept. Planet of the Dantari, planet of the Tatoo binary stars, planet discovered by a guy named Klat, Cama's Planet, etc, etc. Much like the flexibility of a suffix like -ton; Waterton is a town by the water, Daviston is a town founded by someone surnamed Davis, Middleton is a town in the middle of somewhere, etc, etc.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It may also indicate that the system was first scouted by a particular culture or race (such as the Corellians) that used the suffix.
    I liked the ancient maps showing the Tionese names for the nearby systems - we need to see more of alternate namings by the older starfaring groups.

4. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Just wanted to offer my two cents on the nature of the -ooines as well as the -aans of the galaxy. There are many of both kinds and there has been no in-universe explanation of them. I attempted to chart all the known planets (and occasional moon) in a table at my workspace at Wookieepedia. There appears to be a general pattern of Outer Rim worlds being named -ooine. -Aans were found to be more random in nature. For additional purposes of understanding changes in nomenclature, -Tooines and -Ooines have been separated here. -Eens were also included due to their double vowel similarity. Some planets had hardly any information at all, save for a small mention.

Name Earliest Known Era/Affiliation Time frame Notes/Astrography
    Tooines
    Tatooine Infinite Empire ~ 40,000 BBY Outer Rim, Arkanis
    Mantooine Galactic Empire Kymoodon Era (15,000-12,000 BBY) Outer Rim, Atrivis
    Dantooine Infinite Empire ~ 40,000 BBY Outer Rim, Raioballo
    Ventooine Satabs ~ 0 BBY Outer Rim, Corva
    Klatooine Hutt Empire takeover 25,100 BBY Outer Rim/Hutt Space
    Minntooine Commerce Guild, Clone Wars 22 BBY - 19 BBY Outer Rim, Calamari
    Bastooine Outer Rim, Bri'ahl
    Deltooine Corporate Sector ~ 0 BBY Tingel Arm, Corporate
    Reltooine Corporate Sector ~ 0 BBY Tingel Arm, Corporate
    Sestooine Galactic Empire Kymoodon Era (15,000-12,000 BBY) Outer Rim
    Sistooine ~ 0 BBY Inner Rim system with Telti
    Vactooine Galactic Empire ~ 0 BBY Outer Rim, Arkanis
    Entooine (moon of Entoo) Rebel Alliance ~ 0 BBY Outer Rim, Danjar
    Heptooine Kymoodon Era (15,000-12,000 BBY) Outer Rim, Grumani
    Aplooine Kymoodon Era (15,000-12,000 BBY) Outer Rim, Grumani
    Keldooine Hutt Space

Ooines
    Velmooine ~ 0 BBY Mid Rim
    Cardooine Rebel Alliance 4 ABY Outer Rim, Jospro
    Handooine Galactic Republic, Clone Wars 21 BBY Outer Rim, Phelleem
    Kinooine Nagai, Galactic Empire 4 ABY Outer Rim/Wild Space

Aans
    Manaan Infinite Empire ~ 40,000 BBY Inner Rim, Pyrshak system
    Tallaan Tapani Freeworlds At least 4,000 BBY-40 ABY Colonies, Tapani
    Alderaan Killiks built the Castle Lands of Oroboro Core Worlds, Alderaan
    circa 35,000 BBY-0 ABY
    Endoraan Galactic Empire ~ 0 BBY Outer Rim, Clacis
    Outer Rim opposite Mantooine along Relgim Run
    Galidraan Joined Xim's Empire in 25,126 BBY Outer Rim, Thanium
    Delderaan ~ 0 BBY Outer Rim, Noonian
    Taloraan Galactic Republic (unknown) Expansion Region
    Chardaan Rebel Alliance 4 ABY Inner Rim
    Nelvaan Techno Union, Clone Wars 19 BBY Outer Rim, Savareen
    Tiisheraan Galactic Empire ~ 0 BBY Core Worlds
    Ophideraan ~ 0 BBY Colonies
    Nyriaan System discovered in 4,129 BBY Mid Rim/Luire system
    Ebiwaan Outer Rim, Sarin
    Endelaan Unknown Regions
    Galaan New Republic ~ 15 ABY Outer Rim, Corva
    Gendoraan Core Worlds
    Jiaan Mid Rim
    Kalaan Rebel Alliance ~ 0 BBY Mid Rim
    Truuzdaan

5. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, since you are the current leader in retconning CWC continuity with "before", any chance we will figure out which planet from Secrets of Naboo = Behpour? My money is on either Erep and Moth, based on Behpour's closeness to sun and volcanic nature, but WHICH?;)

6. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    where in Boz Pity system is Kith asteroid belt?

where in Ottega system is Herugi Spill?

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    is Oranessan in the Knight Errant short story on Hyperspace related to Oran-µ in the Oranessan system from Hard Merchandise? I'm getting the feeling the answer is NO. Oranessan system, acc to Atlas, is Spumani Sector, but the short story seems pretty certain Oranessan the planet is in Grumani Sector

Jason, regarding "Delta 3" in Mysteries of the Sith"--is this a planetoid in Altyr system, a neighboring system, a deep-space object, or a location on the planet Altyr itself? I was wondering why it wasn't in Atlas Index....

8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Not sure what Delta 3 is, but pretty clear that it isn't a system, which is why it isn't in the appendix. Grumani/Spumani will be addressed in the Knight Errant tie-in, coming soon.

9. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    I was thinking more of Huttese myself. Most -tooines being on the outer rim and all. Maybe even Bocce.

10. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    http://blogs.starwars.com/JustinGann/3

Well, I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the original version with this on my now defunct Theluvr Vriw google pages, but here is the latest list derived from my planet database. Notice the improved title wording to please a certain sharp-eyed stickler;) The Atlas made my database go from "a mess" to something much more coherent, thanks to Jason finally mapping out all the Outer Rim Sectors, etc. Hopefully he will map out the sectors of the other regions eventually!

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Also a good possibility.

12. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    where was Annie being sent in tonite's episode? Baylin? As in the Baylin Cluster?

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, the episode guide itself has something to say:

Interesting...all the war episodes before this have happened in the outer rim.

14. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    kudos to all the atlas stuff in Windham's latest novella!

15. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Jason, what's the reason for placing the Simpla system in the Outer Rim Territories, given that Jedi Apprentice: The Evil Experiment describes it as "not far" from Coruscant?

~ Eyrezer

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Simpla is one of a handful of systems that had been placed by LFL on a map used for internal purposes....

17. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Intriguing

18. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Not a 40,000 lightyears-distance covered in six hours because of a free hyperlane compared to a three-day-trip for 10,000 lightyears around a black hole and a number of nebulas? ;)

19. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, The Unknown Regions says the planet Endelaan was visited by a ship called the "Antara Satrap"

This raises two questions:

1) is there a planet named Antara?

2) is there a government in the galaxy divided into satrapies?

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    This question is for either Jason or Dan.

How did the New Republic maintain supply lines to Dac between 4 ABY (following Endor) and 12 ABY? For a good portion of that period, the upper Perlemian Trade Route was under Imperial control. Considering that Dac was always easy to access and that a steady supply of Mon Cal cruisers were supplied to the NRDF, is there some roundabout way that was used? Did they simply jump along numerous local routes (which seems time consuming) or did they make use of secret routes that the Mon Cals had?

--Adm. Nick

21. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

local routes was sure one way to do it, but not the only one! They still could travel right through the Imperial territory, just not on the main hyperlanes that were more guarded than the other ones. Another approach is through/around Hutt Space and close in towards Mon Calamari via a route across the Ash Worlds. The Rebels had hidden their safehouses on the Ash Worlds side of Mon Calamari with own charted routes and worlds hidden there to public knowledge. So while public hyperlanes end way before reaching Sanctuary and other safeworlds, they might have charted a route past the Centrality and Hutt Space. Supply in terms of food and tech was not necessary to reach Mon Cal since it and its surrounding worlds were selfsufficient. The cruisers they gave to the NR war effort though easily might have broken through Imperial space's weak spots.

Shortest possible connection would be, if not crossing the Empire, to go to Sleyheyeron in Hutt Space and then down via Randon towards Kashyyyk.

Alternatively they might tunnel below or above the Imperial Space like they did in TESB. Jump high above or below the galactic plane and then cross the space above or below the Imperial territory. Maybe even a few save routes existed there since our maps are not 3D.

Post Thrawn they might choose to go to Boonta and from there to Kashyyyk easily. Kashyyyk was an important crossroad and trade hub after all, more so if the NR chose to use it rather than the major hyperlanes.

Does that help?

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    But Mon Calamari had a burgeoning tourist industry going during the GCW. I could believe that new Star Cruisers were sent via secret routes, but pleasure ships, trade vessels, and other non-military craft would need to travel via safe, publically known routes.

--Adm. Nick

23. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Maybe paying off the local Imperial Moffs for tourist traffic was done?

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I meant post-Endor. Essentially, Dac is never described as being difficult to access, which to me implies a quick and steady hyper route. making five or six stops prior to arriving at Dac doesn't sound quick, IMO.

Then again, if you jumped from Lantilles to Kashyyyk and then proceeded along the edge of Hutt Space through the Ash Worlds (which as Ceiran pointed out is full of Rebel/NR worlds), I suppose that is a relatively quick journey.

--Adm. Nick

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I always assumed secret routes were used -- which wouldn't have been fast or always safe, but a lot better than running into an Imp blockade.

This is addressed (though not in enormous detail) in WARFARE.