main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Sweet. I look forward to learning more about this. :D

--Adm. Nick

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Did I read something that the Knight Errant Atlas update would be coming out around the time of the second issue? Or did I misremember/misinterpret that? Hopefully we'll be getting it in the next couple days.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    and hopefully all the other long promised Atlas updates will follow swift... 1 per 6 months is not what I expected at all

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    To be fair, Jason was writing another book at the time. I suspect that the Warfare Guide will have lots of additional mentions of stuff that will affect the Atlas...

5. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    hopefully now Jason can get back to mapping the non-Outer Rim sectors

6. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Yes, the Knight Errant gazetteer should be up to approximately coincide with issue #2 of the comic. That said, it's out of the hands of me, Jason, and JJM right now so we're just patiently keeping an eye on the official site!

Dan

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Awesome! Thanks for the info, Dan!

8. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    It's online now!!!

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/knighterrant_atlas/index.html

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That is one of the best articles I have ever seen in all SW. And my big comment is...

Phaegon is in the Grumani Sector!

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

=P~ that's what I am living for... awesome and big thx ! Love it, great maps that look sithy and cool. And we get a planetary map, too? Coooooooooooooooooool...

Still need to take it all in before I start analysing ;) love it

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    This is awesome! Good work!

12. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Oh, good, it's already mentioned here. This was a lot of fun -- it details a number of settings you'll see in the novel and upcoming comics. And writing from Vannar's limited understanding was a hoot. "Even the best laid plans..."

13. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Oh, one more pierce of Atlas goodness! Swe-e-e-e-et.

First thing I loved is Republic's borders during the Dark Age. Before that one could think "Well, the Sith control more space that Reps do, why won't they crush them over?" Because there is no Sith government and they are all squabbling with each other! Brilliant.

Then, seeing a new map of a whole sector I naturally went :D. The planetary descriptions are even more interested then Atlas' original here because of the overall history. You can almost tell which planets are used by JJM in the story (those with the lore related to Daiman, Odion and Bactra, I presume) and which were placed there by Jason & Dan. Really exciting.

And then there's the Afterword about Grumani sector's name - awesome stuff. A historical's afterview was necessary there. Oh, and I liked the casual "Treece's expedition and what followed is documented elsewhere".

Really hoping you guys can pull of more like those in the future!

14. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Actually, that could be a fun parlor game -- when you get the novel, you'll see we visit quite a few more places than just the ones you might guess.

15. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Man, I'm gonna be stuck reading this for a while. My compliments to everyone involved! Modi's created quite a moody map. Very grimdark. :p

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    One more detailed sector is always great news for Cartography Junkies. (Not only that, but one that hasn't ever really been covered!)

And from a historical perspective, it's finally illuminated the "New Sith Wars" for me enough to bring it out of the "vaguely described era" category.

17. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jasn, case you don;t notice these on JJM's thread:

queries:

1) are Grumani and Spumani...in current days...sub-sectors of Grumani Regional Sector, or is the difference just religious instead of regional
    2) what is the relationship b/w Oran-µ in Hard Merchandise and Oranessan? Is Oran-µ a later name for Oranessan, or a moon of Oranessan, or another planet in same system>
    3) Is Sarrassia new, or if not what is original source
    4) was the Bactranate formerly part of Chagras Hegemony?
    5) are the Nilash, Samhari, and Ventruuni just human populations or discrete species?
    6) this places Aquilaris, Verdanth, and Gazzari in Grumani; but Atlas has them in Sanbra, Bon'nyuw-Lug, and Garis Sectors respectively; why the contradictions?

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

If I may, I adress some potential answers as far as I understood it:

1) It sounds as if Grumani and Spumani are not subsectors but religious terms for the same thing making it difficult for New Republic diplomats still if the main sector is called Spumani or Grumani as per the addendum at the end that is from the NR era.
    3) I believe it is not new, sounded familiar but not sure myself.
    4) I got the impression it was part of the Chagras Hegemony from the text itself.
    6) The text itself adresses that sector boarders are subject to change due to war frontlines changing AND due to the Ruusan Reformation changing sectors into 1024 regional sectors with subsectors. It says many sector boarders stay and are taken over into the new system, but not all are. Thus sector placements in the NJO/LOTF timeframe of the latest Atlas/appendix stuff might be different. Maybe the sith territories we see here are the later spumani/grumani sector and the nonsith territories got added to other boardering sectors. this actually makes sense since the republic does not annect half sectors but rather for better governing adds them to their existing territory when the frontline moves.

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Spumani and Grumani appear to be same the sector, although the Index lists one or the other (and neither in the established format of a subsector).
    Of course there's always "when to avoid naming the sector entirely"... [face_laugh]

20. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    did anyone else notice Ziro mentioning a new planet right before Sy shoots him?

"But what about Solarine...the sunsets..."

Unless this is a mispronunciation of Sleheyron?

21. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    To me, Ayanos Bactra based on the gazetteer seems clearly set to be the least of evils when it comes to the status of people living under his rule, but somehow I personally just feel that him not being an insane slaver could easily end up making him to be the most dangerous of the Sith Lords on the sector, the one that Kerra Holt shouldn't help by helping to destroy the insane brothers...

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    So... the Separatist capital has apparently been identified. Raxus. [face_plain]

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

see my detailed reply in TCW continuity topic ;) that is no problem... if they do not dare to do something stupid, which is difficult here .

24. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    Remember guys, planets are big. It's possible that an area of a junkyard planet be tidied up to be used as a capital (or if there were an island or small continent that would be preserved, ostensibly for administrative governance of the junkyard.)

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I just wish the "Raxus Collector" ship from the video game The Clone Wars had appeared in TFU. It seems like that thing should still have been in operation.