main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Love the map, but I'd hesitate to call it canon. Still, if we ever explore the area around Sullust, will definitely see what can be done. Love B&R!

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Bungo and Rusti's creator, James Anderson, says in his FAQ, "Alas, poor Bungo and Rusti were thought to have only been a one-shot, so the good people at Dark Horse let that one go. They never would have made it into print if DH hadn't overlooked my little foray into self indulgence." So I don't think anything beyond the original comic was ever part of WEG's publishing plans.

Regardless of whether there were plans for more stuff, I don't think the map was a part of it. Anderson put that map up in his portfolio in January of 2003, over six years after "Bungo and Rusti Get Carry Out" was published and nearly five years after WEG went bankrupt. My guess is that that map wasn't even made when WEG closed it's doors, let alone went through those doors and got vetted.

Canon status notwithstanding, it's a fun little map. Also of interest is this tiny map of the Arkanis sector. Squint just right, and you can even imagine it still works, with the intersecting routes being the Corellian Run and the Hutt-ward leg of the Triellus Trade Route.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

thx for adding name and more info on this. feared it might be non-canon. Though nothing speaks against salvaging it nevertheless if ever anything sullust related should be made as Jason said ;) there have been worse non-canon things re-canonized already. and Bungo and Rusti still rock!

PS: I want Bungo, Rusti, Tarfang and a certain Squib Trio to get their own comic series!

4. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Wookieepedia has redlinked names for three new planets from the FUII Databank:
    1 Ebenmal
    2 Rhador
    3 Slotern

Can anyone provide the info on these/

5. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    poking around on Wookieepedia, it seems Rhador is a village and Ebenmal is a citadel...but on what planets?

apparently only Slotern is actually a new planet

6. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    spoiler free Carto notes from Vortex:

A. Kessel Sector:
    1) Ashteri?s Cloud?vast drift ionized tuderium gas along one edge Kessel Sector, between Maw and Kessel, 40 degrees port from heading to Coruscant
    2) ?the Deep Maw??location of Abeloth?s planet
    B. Coruscant system:
    1) Coruscant's habitation stations
    2) Baker Six Tango, an Orbital mirror over 10 km^2 area
    3) planets with "Ophidian Grotesques" [symbols associated on Kesh with Destructors]:
    1) Shatuun
    2) Caulus Tertius
    3) Abeloth's planet
    C. Drewwa--industrialized, factories
    D. Boonta--has Lost Tribe relay center
    E. Albanin sector:
    1) Barab One
    2) Dubrava
    3) Hidden Tegoor
    4) Regulan system (Blaudu system) [both system names used in novel]
    Regulan system [near Dubrava] contains 2 inhabited planets:
    Blaudu Octus and Blaudu Sextus
    Blaudu Sextus has relay satellite
    capital of Blaudu Sextus is Arari
    Blaudu Sextus so far off lanes no Imp survey #

7. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Can someone make cartographical sense of The Way of the Warrior for me? Possible spoilers follow, if you care about having a children's book spoiled for you. :-B
    Cad Bane kidnaps Jeter Snahl, a Follower of Palawa, from Bunduki. Anakin and Ventress were both there to see Snahl, so they chase Bane into hyperspace. Anakin quickly shoots Bane's ship, the Sleight of Hand, damaging the engines and forcing Bane to drop out of hyperspace and land on Orto Plutonia. Huh? I don't know of any hyperspace routes between those planets. :confused:
    After some hijinks on O.P., Bane leaves the planet, but his engines are still damaged, so he tries to lose Anakin and Ventress in the Kaliida Nebula. Again, huh? How could he get there without a working hyperdrive? :confused:
    When that doesn't work, Bane flies out the other side of the nebula and lands, I kid you not, on Teth. [face_hypnotized]
    So, any retcons up your sleaves?

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It was Cad Bane in the Star Wars version of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I was going to make some smartass comment about "The Longest Fall," but . . . that really IS the only explanation for that mess.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, I completely forgot that story! :oops:[face_laugh]

11. LordDarthPaxis

LordDarthPaxis Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    Maybe Bane ran afoul of a few stellar anomalies like those around Endor?

Also going back to the old discussion of Raxus could it be something like the later Imperial Remnant's Bastion? Since the planet Raxus Prime was the birthplace of the CIS, the name Raxus could have been chosen for its symbolic connotations. I know that the Republic knew exactly where Raxus was in the episodes but this could be attributed to the CIS not needing to run and hide in the early stages of the war. Later, perhaps during the Outer Rim Sieges and a Sacking of Raxus the capital could move. I'd love a future Atlas update detailing the migration of Imperial Bastion as well as the path of the Separatist Council as it flees.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Only up to the Death Star part of the Atlas so far, but reading the mentions of Deltooine in the CSA section reminded me of one question I had (forgive me if the Atlas answers this later on or if it did early on and I just forgot during a hiatus from the book) -

Has the meaning or origin of the various -tooine system name designations been revealed/established?

13. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    so is Mortis going to get a placement? or would that even apply?

14. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    I am 99,99% sure it will be given a line in the next Appendix update, but the sector and the coordinates would be marked as ???. This is already the case with several mysterious Unknown Regions planets.

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Mortis should neither be placed nor mentioned I think.

We got a Wild Space system for the 5km wide space artifact (that is too small to contain a planet!), which can be placed easily.

But aside from that Mortis itself should remain a mystery. Not even listed at all. Day/Night cycles are too weird to be a real world, the planet can't fit into the space artifact and stars can be seen from its surface. Thus, it might be in another dimension, not a real planet or even the artifact teleports them somewhere.

WOOKIEEPEDIA is in grave error in that it placed Mortis in the same system the artifact is in, even stating it is inside the artifact. one of the examples why I do not like Wookieepedia.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Tend to agree it makes sense to leave Mortis out.

OTOH, a ??? listing would prevent a lot of notes telling us we forgot. We'll see what LFL wants to do.

Trying to catch up on my reading for another appendix update. With something else cool coming.

17. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It seems the Wookieepedia lists the system the monolith is in as being in Wild Space. There's nothing indicated in the episode or the guide that this is the case, is it? It says beyond the Outer Rim, but that could be several places.

Oooh... Atlas or Warfare-related?

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlas. Though Warfare will have its turn!

19. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Are there any plans for Atlas tie-ins whenever there's a new storyline coming out, like the Dark Side comics, or is it on a case-by-case basis? The Knight Errant tie-in had a specific geographical area to work in, other series might be all over the place.

20. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Something explaining the cartographical clusterkriff that is The Way of the Warrior? :p

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Haven't read Way of the Warrior yet, sorry. Will get to it.

Atlas tie-ins are case by case. Generally speaking, I think they work better when there's a fairly compact area of the galaxy to explore and a rich setting that readers will be curious about. Knight Errant fit the bill perfectly; a story from a familiar era that features locales all across the galaxy isn't as compelling a case. But needless to say I'd love to collaborate on more of them....

22. DarNamell

DarNamell Jedi Grand Master

Jul 14, 2002
    Forgive me if this was already answered in the thread (I looked but did not see anything), but what fonts were used in the atlas maps? There seem to be at least three including Minion Pro for the title.

Also, are there blank map templates or icon sets, or even some primers on how to create the nebulae, etc. on the map for those of us who want to build homebrew versions? There are still some clubs and RPG players who like to build their own systems and whatnot, and anything from inserting our worlds to creating a decent looking system boundary would be nice info to have.

Basically, any info that can be provided would be great. Thanks in advance.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We're not even sure it's a planet, or within the galaxy, are we? Obi-wan says the computers can't locate it within their galaxy, and the Father refers to it as "your" galaxy. And Ahsoka says it's just bigger than an asteroid, but (I forget the exact wording) it was biomass or living or something like that.

24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    So it's like Zonama Sekot? o_O

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, it can be living without being sentient, I think she just meant there's a lot of bionass or something but it's unclear.