main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I think Galaxies had a Naboo asteroid group...Arrissa's Field?

I think Conviction indicated the current Senator of Coruscant had been in office since Rebellion days, didn't it?

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think that was mentioned in Backlash, too. Of course, in LOTF the senator from Coruscant was G'vli G'Sil. There are two possible fixes for it: Bramsin was the senator from Coruscant since forever, as said, but post-NJO he retired or lost his seat to G'Sil, and after G'Sil was disgraced for his connection to Jacen's regime, Bramsin ran again and won, and when people talking about his having been the Senator since the GCW, they're papering over a five-year blip in a forty-year career, or whatever. Or you can take the route Wookieepedia apparently has, and try to finesse that Bramsin was always the Coruscant senator, and G'Sil was technically just a senator who was from Coruscant -- born there and then moved off to some other place he represents now. I'd prefer the first compromise.

3. SinisterSamurai

SinisterSamurai Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2011
    There's a couple of asteroid fields in Star Wars: Starfighter. I can't remember if any are explicitly stated being in the Naboo system, though. The NRSFC set up some holographic training drills in an asteroid field, which would probably be near the system since there's a hidden Trade Federation Observation Post right next to it.
    Also, the second level has the Queen's starship bailing into an asteroid field when mercs ambush her as she tries to meet with TradeFed reps.

4. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Didn't New Rebellion indicate there were two senators at a time from each constituent? I seem to recall the Exodeenians had both a Junior and Senior Senator. And the Prequels seem to suggest similar situations.

5. Kuag

Kuag Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Coruscant has a population of 1 Trillion people. It's not inconceivable for there to be more than one sitting Senator, a junior and a senior member, at any given time. I think that's the easiest and most logical retcon.

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

I took that to mean as a main Senator and his "second in command" if Senator is offworld or away that either relays the Senators votes for him or is given own vote upon Senators absence. Same role JarJar Binks had in Padmés absence in ROTS by the way! Senator/Representative Binks as Junior Senator to Senator Amidala

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Possible Planet to add to index

in SW Radio Drama The Millennium Falcon Deal, p 150, Luke calls Ithorians "Meerian hammerhead" and Shistavanen "Stofo lupinoid"

Now, I recall the retcon that Luke was familiar with Ithorians from their colony on Bandomeer, hence "Meerian"; so does it stand to reason there is a Shistavanen colony he's familiar with called "Stofo"?

8. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    At least two asteroid fields, Arrissa's Field and Scintilla Steel. See this site

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Could just be an alternate name for one of the inhabited planets of the Uvena system.

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    New planet from the OS Encyclopedia: Karkaris.

11. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I am curious as to this worlds location and whether they have any ties or interests to Mon Calamari (or Mon Cala as the Encyclopedia likes to call it).

12. KamSolusar

Mar 8, 2001
    I wonder what the reasoning is for placing the Ferrous Aurora Nebula from Galaxies in Thesme sector, when the game and strategy guides clearly show it right in the Yavin system.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Generally, Nebulae tend to be a big bigger than a mere system. It also seems like it could be a common name. Ferrous Aurora? Iron Dawn?

14. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    I asked this in the Clone Wars Continuity Thread but thought I would mention it here. Anyone think that the recent Gungan Attack could indicate a hyperspace route linking the Naboo regin with Mon Calamari space? Could help explain how quick the Gungans were deployed despite the fact that they are half the galaxy away.

15. KamSolusar

Mar 8, 2001
    Yep, nebulaes tend to be quite huge. But the star systems in Galaxies contain quite a few small gas clouds that aren't really that big. On the other hand: distances in the space part of Galaxies are a bit messed up. No matter how far you fly, the planet still looks pretty big, so all the stuff in the system seems pretty close to the respective planets. But the maps in the space part use the same technology as the ground part of th game, so the "star systems" are technically just 7km³ big cubes.

But if the Ferrous Aurora Nebula in Thesme sector is indeed the same as the one in Galaxies, that would mean that we can't be sure about the locations of a lot of other stuff from the game (space stations, nebulae, asteroid fields, etc..) too. Not that I would really mind moving a few of those locations to neighboring star systems or areas, I just found it a bit strange that only this one nebula was placed somewhere else.

16. Sock2008

Sock2008 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 15, 2008
    In that case it has to be asked why the route wouldn't have been used before or after... Both militarily and just when it comes to cultural contacts and trade.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It was recently discovered by Jar-Jar in a freak accident. Some time after the clone wars, it is cut off by a freak warp st-uh, I mean, hyperspace storm.

Sorted.

18. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    It could be an unstable route perhaps? One perhaps not commonly known or just dangerous to use? Just throwing out ideas to explain how the Gungans managed to get to Mon Calamari quick enough to make a difference when they are half a galaxy away :p

19. LordDarthPaxis

LordDarthPaxis Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    We have enough continuity headaches as a result of TCW without having to worry about the astrographical details.

Henceforth, I decree that all astrographic inconveniences shall be explained by saying that the Republic forces started using the Nexus Route to stage continuous assaults behind Separatist lines towards the end of the Clone Wars! Problem solved. [face_peace]

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Unless someone at LFL tells me and Dan otherwise, I'm looking at it as a plot device. And there's nothing wrong with those -- Star Wars is full of 'em. How'd Sidious get from Coruscant to Mustafar in about 20 minutes? His shuttle's hyperdrive is rated for speed of plot. Why were the Gungans the best choice to relieve the Mon Cals? The storytelling possibilities for existing characters and the availability of animation models made it so.

A hand-wave a day keeps the tension headaches away, believe me.

21. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    And besides, how did those myriad hyperspace shortcuts/trade routes get there in first place? A book, comic, or game showed it to us. The cartoon just did the same thing. The Atlas should serve as the minimum boundary on galactic geography, but should prevent authors/directors/etc. from creating new worlds and hyperroutes.

22. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I'd say that the movies portrays the speed of the hyperdrives fairly consistently (or at least implies much higher speed as most EU sources state). The hyperdrive is a plot device (and didn't GL say in one of the commentaries something to the effect that it's a plot device to quickly move the characters from one place to another?).

23. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

hand-wave? please not... cause that way we get too many handwaves soon and that ruins it.

Of course they are plotdevices, but plotdevices need to make sense, if they do not, the plot gets silly, and if that is the case the whole story and medium telling it suffers from that. I can understand that people handwave stuff, but it is an increasing trend that I can't support. It is the beginning of the downfall often enough. I do not expect high class storytelling from Star Wars (except some great authors!) but at least they can TRY to get it right or consistent. TCW team does not even try anymore, and I think we should not do the same and lower the EU to their level of storytelling by handwaving instead of keeping up what made the EU great: continuity, logic and sense. Sure, the EU got its trouble spots too, but it did not handwave them away most of the time. At least we did not.

PS: I think it is stupid for TCW to think of Naboo as closest possibility and fastest. But as in TCW continuity topic others already pointed out, aquatic warfare was rare, especially standing forces that are ready to be deployed immedeately. So Naboo can make sense, though I still prefer it another way. No retcon needed except some details to the episode explaining why they chose Naboo inuniverse.

24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Perhaps we are looking at some secondary spurs to the Salin Corridor, a la the Mandalorian Road leading off of the Hydian Way through the Mandalore Sector?

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair, I cannot think of any substantially militarised aquatic armies apart from on Naboo. We do not have very many aquatic species.

The Aqualish were CIS members... the Herglic never really seemed to have a aquatic force, and the Nautolan's did not really contribute beyond a few Jedi... so one would assume that Naboo was the best choice... especially considering the Republic now have access to Hutt routes, including the Salin Corridor, by this point, and by and large would have cleaned the Corellian Run by now, giving them easy access from Naboo to Dac...