main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Pretty much the answer. IIRC, didn't the episode actually state that they needed to choose not only an aquatic fighting force, but also one that is a standing army, and that can be called into action on rather short notice?

2. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Ok, just watched Lego Padawan Menace; couldn't understand all the dialogue, but they seemed to mention two planet names in dialogue--were these new planets? One sounded like it might have been Christophsis, but I had a hard time making it out

3. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    inPadawan Menace

C-3PO tells Wuher he is so and so from where2 and where2

and the Senator that says blahblahblah is from planet where 1 and where1

I can't make out either name; but I think both planets could find room in the Atlas regardless of the short's lack of canonicity

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Well I wouldn't see it in the atlas since that Lego stuff is non canon.

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    We've known about the magic of astrogating since WEG days. Hyperspace travel duration is not fixed constant; even if all of the equipment is the same between two given vessels. There are standard routes to be calculated for the safest travel. That's what everyone's idea of "normal travel" is based on.

But, those were never the only times available. Astrogators could "cut corners" so to speak, increasing the risk and decreasing the travel time. Force-users had it even better. And a master of the Force like Sidious could Force astrogate to find the quickest possible routes, literally unavailable to anyone else, as no one rivaled his ability to do so.

It was win-win for us, because those that tried and failed blessed us with knowledge of Otherspace.

I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel -- or in this case, navicomputer -- on this one.

There never has been a fixed travel time; it was always subject to change for any two travelers, depending on their astrogation skill -- natural or supernatural.

6. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    ah-uhm the movie isn't canon, doesn't mean the planets can't be! Jason included lots of planets in the Atlas from sources even less canonical than this movie;)

7. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    There is a new Galaxy Map on the SWTOR website. Uttini!

Edit: Oh, and it uses the coordinate grid from the Awesome Atlas! Double-fun! =D=

8. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    the 3d version is sooooooo awesome!

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    awesome... I smell it for regular atlas map in future coming too! greeeat...

now the obvious question... how do I rip it for offline use? :)

10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    This thing is pretty cool -- we shared some Atlas resources with the designer, but he already knew his stuff pretty well.

There is a separate Atlas tool in the works -- Modi's "megamap," which Pablo gave folks at Celebration V a peek at. It's insanely great and I hope we can make into a destination soon. It will blow you away.

11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Is Modi's Megamap 2D or 3D? Either way, love the cross-media use of Atlas-related items. :cool:

12. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I just went through my browser's cache and downloaded all the stuff from cdn-www.swtor.com I could find in there to a folder on my harddrive. Many parts of the map (the galaxy map, planets, planet descriptions, starships) seem to be working offline to some degree when I open the .unity3d file in my browser. For the rest (e.g. planet videos) to work, recreating the server's folder structure might work.

The texts used by the map can be found here.

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    CORUSCANT'S POPULATION: One Trillion.

POPULATION OF OTHER COREWARD WORLDS: Ten Billion.

Not to be the killjoy numbers nitpicker in the room, but... um, what? The population of the entire Core, besides Coruscant, is less than twice that of Earth?

14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm assuming that number refers only to the other Core Worlds on the map.

For the sake of my own sanity.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think it means the average population per planet of the region.

16. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, definitely not the whole Core. Metellos alone has been established at 900 billion.

17. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    wow um so apparently part of Tion [ie Voss] was in Hutt space at this point. That hints at another interesting chapter in the Tionese/Huttese rivalry

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

can't wait ;)

I hope it is downloadable too then, cause I want it offline as well as online! for archival purposes, please!

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

big thx for the texts. I am trying to get it to work offline, no luck so far. Any idea how to make it work or any upload of a working folder structure possibly? I also have trouble with the online 3D map in my browsers. It worked better on another computer when I was not home.

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

noticed that too. But does this mean the Hutts conquered the Tion or does it mean Tion and Hutts allied?

my new pet scenario:

Republic does not send help to Tion when the Sith invade and rather cuts its losses to protect the Core. Tionese, betrayed once again, have to fend for themselves and turn to old enemies as new allies. Tionese and Hutts unite in a defensive alliance against the Sith granting Hutts access to Tion space and protecting Tion with Hutt Forces.

I doubt Hutts conquered Tion. The Tionese would have gone to the Sith for help then against the Hutts, like they went to the Republic earlier, even if with mixed feelings. I just wonder how they explained the Hutts they can't keep their territory after the Sith threat is gone in the future :p might be one of the followup wars to throw the Hutts back out.

Mesa now want another Tion/Hutt article... if only we still had Hyperspace.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't necessarily want to treat that map literally, but because we have a pretty darn small Sith Empire on that map if so, and we know they have their claws into elements of the Core and the 'Outer Rim' region.

22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    True, I think the Sith Empire territory here shown is their core territory only with other parts being besieged or occupational forces only instead of full Sith control and installed Sith society.

Hutt Space though looks fine

23. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I don't think that the "Seat of the Empire" should be taken literally; the Republic controls part of the area too, at least Taris, and we know that the Sith Empire attacked the Republic in the Outer Rim in the Galactic South, where battles in Bothawui and Hoth were fought and where the Sith are active on Belsavis and Tatooine, and in the Unknown Regions - where several sources have mentioned Imperial activity post-Treaty beyond Ilum - the Sith have taken Ilum. (I wonder from which side of the galaxy the Sith reached the Rattataki, from north through the Unknown Regions or from the southeast through the Outer Rim?) Clearly the Sith should have bases in these areas, otherwise it would be very hard for them to operate so far away from their core territory. I think that "Seat of the Empire" is just a region of the galaxy, and that the actual borders of the Sith Empire are quite different; even the early map of the galaxy divided between the two leaves out the southern part of the galaxy, where the Sith clearly are active. So I would see the Sith Empire coiling around the remaining Republic territory everywhere except perhaps in part of the galactic west.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If you recall, the Sith launched an attack on Sluis Van shortly after the attack on Korriban, so I suspect the Sith have expanded through the Unknown Regions. We know they made it to Csilla, which joined the Empire, and to Rattatak. So from territory near Sernpidal, Ruuria and Belkaden, around to Rattatak, we have a pretty decent Empire in the Unknown Regions, probably skirting Ilum to avoid detection.

It's quite interesting, if you look at it.

1. Sith launch a surprise attack on the Corva Sector, and trap the Republic fleet between Sernpidal, Ruuria and Belkaden, darting for Korriban at the same time.

2. Second salient launches a sneak attack on Sluis Van and disrupts the Rimma Trade Route.

3. The Sith advance on the Tion and up the Perlemian, through Manaan, while advancing up and down the Rimma to Utapau and Eriadu.

4. The Sith bulk out their 'core' territories by defeating the Republic at Agamar and Ilum, and advance on worlds such as Balmorra.

5. The Empire defends Hoth, fortifying its gains in the southern quadrant, and advances on Bothawui and then in the northern quadrant upon Alderaan.

Overall, there was nothing particularly illogical in any of it, and apart from the defeats at Bothawui and Alderaan, it was well on track, having completely outflanked the Republic... I wonder if the forces that struck Coruscant emerged from the Unknown Regions, or from its core territories?

The Republic counter-response at Hoth, and fierce defence of systems in the Empire's rear, such as Dantooine or the Minos Cluster, was also quite inventive, as it effectively divides the Sith's attention and makes them reinforce their gains... no surprises they needed the Mandalorians to keep them in the game, considering the already noted low population of the Empire.

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    found a planet to add to index:

the ice planet Tina from Star Wars (1987) Japanese game