main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    is the Mid Rim map missing Hallu Sector from The Far Orbit Project?

if so, easiest fix is to make it a subsector

btw I noitced Wookiee's page for "Jedi Dawn"
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Dawn
    lists 3 races I didn't know about:
    * Banasthaur
    * Druulgothan
    * Ma'alkerrite ape-men

This could suggest planets "Banasthauria"?. "Druulgoth"?, and "Ma'alkerr"?
    and from the articles on these races these planets may be near Toprawa

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Uh-uh, pal. You finish all the sectors, THEN go insane. ;)

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yep, missed Hallu. Crud. Nice catch. Agree with subsector fix. Will address next time.

The other ones are known; the ones that make the cut will be in the next update, if they didn't already make it. (I sometimes lose track of proposed/decided/published.)

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Well, if you wanted to make life easier on yourself and cheat a bit, you could just say the Empire split up certain sectors in favor of influential individual worlds (Bormea to Corulag, Brentaal, and Chandrila, and such).

Of course, if you already ruled that out in the Atlas (haven't had the chance to read it yet), then yeah, you're going to go blind. :p

5. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, I finally got around to reading the CW Incr Veh book, quite excellent.

I am perturbed LFL changed the lengths of all the vehicles, even the ones from Episode I (like the AAT and MTT), and even from the Classic Trilogy (Khetanna and even the famed Slave I!) But I know that's not your fault.

I love all the attention you paid to minor-cameo background vehicles.

I noticed two implied planets that aren't in atlas index:

p81 mentions "Apokan spider-oak"--so there should be a planet "Apoka" or "Apok"
    and the Haven-class station is build by "Ventex Construction Yards"--I assume these to be in a "Ventex" system, unless Ventex is a person or company name?

6. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    new planets in Jedi Path
    Protogeyser p34
    Quanducial p83
    Bakuun? P120
    Barbeen p65

new planets in Ascension
    B?nish p129
    Aloxor
    Xilxash
    Upekzar
    Vexar in Corporate Sector
    G?haris p63
    Reco system?in Maraqoo sector

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Crisis of Faith presents many planets in Unknown Regions in vicinity of or inc. in Empire of the Hand
    1) Chaos Triangle (area of space ruled by the Chosen)
    2) Braccio p467
    3) Quethold
    4) Oristrom
    5) Tantsor system

8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Interesting, haven't read that one yet -- it's on the stack behind ASCENSION and the manuscript for APOCALYPSE.

Hearing this makes me even more relieved that Dan and I decided to leave the Empire of the Hand out of the ATLAS. Maybe if we ever do a revised/updated one we'll reconsider that, but looks like giving Zahn a free hand last time around was the right idea.

9. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    yes, leaving Empire of Hand alone for whole was probably smart, since both Zahn and the Legacy-era books are messing with it...

if y'all want a project for a supplement, I would suggest the Killiks;)

Catlia
    Reco system
    Gyuel system
    Massoss
    Snevu
    Tenupe
    Tusken's Eye
    Woteba
    Yoggoy
    Lizil colony world from the Joiner King
    --that's 10 systems right there, and I'm sure y'all would think of some more
    in addition, there could be a map of the Dark Nest Crisis?

alternately, while the Atlas highlights most of the sectors of the main Classic Trilogy planets, there is still no highlight for Dagobah's Sluis Sector; I think this has a lots of potential, including some further development of the Bpfasshi conflict, and maybe some info on what's up with Mt. Yoda post-GODV?

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I also reckon that the Meridian Sector could do with a feature, as well, considering how heavily its featured in FotJ and the events that took place in it in 12 ABY seem to have had resonating import down the line, but that may be for a future piece, of course.

11. SinisterSamurai

SinisterSamurai Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2011
    There's also Corrdair, which had a battle.
    And "B'Ya" which may have just been a weapons testing facility.

The planet Themis is the location of Runaway Starfighter, from the Clone Wars comic magazine #24.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just saw this: jealous, I am, Jason. :p Apocalypse is so far off. :(

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    At the risk of sounding like a [bad word], early reveals aren't as much fun as you might think. If you like something and get excited, you don't have anyone to talk about it with, so it's kind of weirdly lonesome. I've actually enjoyed Clone Wars more last season and this season because I could run off to the boards at the same time as everybody else and see what people thought.

I know this qualifies me for music from a very small violin....

14. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    *plays the very small violin*

Sorry, couldnt resist :p

15. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hello everyone! I hope I'm not terribly wrong in coming here, but you seem like experts for planets....

I'm considering joining the NaNoWriMo and I have a plot idea for a pretty long novel....the problem is that I have yet to find the right homeplanet for my OC.
    Maybe you can help me?

I'm looking for a planet in the Vector Prime of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion (Dalonbian or adjacent sectors) that was formerly an Imperial world and was conquered (or freed :D ) by the Alliance in 6 ABY or prior to it (preferably prior to it, even thoguh it's somewhat unlikely). <- that is part of my character's background, so it's entirely made up

I've been clicking through the wookiepedia pages for the planets in the Dalonbian sector, but that's kinda difficult. I thought I'd found a perfect match in Dubrillion, but I checked other links related to it and discovered that while there was a rebel attack on it at the right time, it stayed on Imperial world (at the very least until 12 ABY).

I was wondering if there's a planet I could use. If not, I'll just pick one without any information and make something up.... [face_blush] The story will be an AU anyway, but I'd like to stick to canon whenever I can.

Any thoughts on a planet?

Also, I was wondering if there are sectors in space where certain species like to settle? What species could I expect in the Dalonbian Sector or the Tingel Arm in general?

16. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    A couple of new locations from Clone Wars UK magazine short comics:

Bogoa - a planet from "The Only Good Clanker", issue #26. It's coral makes great shipbuilding material.

Themis - a planet from "Runaway Starfighter", issue #24. Has a moon with explosive ore that can be used as power source.

17. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I think this week's TCW episode, Darkness on Umbara, may be the first time that the term "Expansion Region" has been used in G-level or T-level canon. Just sayin.'

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The area around Dubrillion remained Imperial right up to 17 ABY, but there have been planets that were Rebel/Republic in the area despite being deep in Imperial territory. Look into Generis and the surrounding systems, or perhaps the Tantive system. Tantive was the site of a major Rebel victory just after Endor, but remained inside Imperial territory, nominally, for some time.

As to the general area, the species that are active in that region include the Triani, the Gree, the Drackmarians, the Yagai, and the tree-things from Moltok (their name defies me). The Muuns from Muunilinst are probably the most prominent due to their control of the InterGalactic Banking Clan, and continued importance under the Empire, even when their homeworld was apart of the Remnant.

19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I was getting sick of Mid Rim/Outer Rim worlds every other episode, so this is good. The TCW movie had Wild Space mentioned by name. We also visit the Inner Rim (Antar), Colonies (Cato Neimoidia) and Hutt Space (Toydaria, Nal Hutta) in the show, so that leaves the Unknown Regions and the Deep Core, among the major regions.

20. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Thank you so much!!! [:D] [:D] [:D]

The information about the species is invaluable. I know none of them...but I'll make sure to do some research. :) And I will definitely look at the planets.

EDIT: I just had a look at the Generis system....

You!
    You are my hero! [:D] It fits perfectly to many things I had planned as my OC's background - which I hadn't even mentioned here!
    You probably have no idea how amazing your suggestion was! If I were anywhere near you in real life, I'd give you a hug, a kiss on the cheek and buy you a huge coffee at the next starbucks. Since that is not the case, I'll settle for a [:D]. You have helped me much more than you can imagine. Thank you, thank you, thank you! [face_dancing]

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The Muuns are the most awesome species in the EU. Do make sure you at least mention them. Space Greco-Roman-Goths FTW.

22. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jacen, Wookieepedia seems to have interpreted Atlas to mean that all ORD planets were settled in Pius Dia era; that wasn't your intent, was it? Because certainly Ord Cestus was settled only much later, in the 400s BBY

PS Moltok is home to 2 species, the Makurth and the Ho'Din; the Ho'Din look a bit tree-like, or flower-like, but are technically reptiles

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Apparently Wookieepedia hasn't heard of Ord Antalaha which was specifically settled during the Clone Wars. Except, of course, that they have and it's in the list of ORD worlds. :rolleyes:

It's amusing, though, in Pirates and Privateers how they manage to describe the Republic base there during the Clone Wars without referencing anything about the war or who they were fighting... [face_laugh]

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The planets may have been named in the Pius Dea era, and lost during the Crusades - they were then recently resettled. For example Ord Cestus, in the Atlas, is still within Republic explored territory from Pius Dea, as seen on the various Old Sith War maps, despite being settled *(again) in 400 BBY.

Any Ords in unknown areas are purely, from my perspective, Ords made during the Crusades and lost.

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    just because an area is within explored space doesn't mean every nook and cranny is settled, or even contacted

I very much am cautious of how Wookieepedia assumes every planet within drawn Atlas borders was part of a government at given time; this seems fallacious reasoning; within any given borders of a space government there are no doubt many independent, unaligned, uncontacted, and primitive planets

i don't see anything in Atlas to indicate ALL the Ords were settled in Pius Dea, just that this is when the Ord settlements BEGAN; Jedi Path reads the same way; also, ORDs still operated as such in 990 BBY acc to Jedi Path, so Wookieepedia's apparent assumption the "Ord" prefix was merely historical post-Pius Dea is obviously false

a possible continuity error in Atlas--it says the first Jedi got their lightsaber crystals from the PLANET Adega; admittedly, Adega is a planet in REBELLION, but in GATORW there is no PLANET Adega, Adega is just the system Ossus is in [the list of planets in Adega system does not contain a planet called Adega]; given Rebellion predates GAORW, perhaps GAORW should be considered the source in error

besides Ossus, GAORW lists Adegan system containing Kassa, Tarassi, Colsassa, and Missarassa; Colsassa is a gas giant and Missarassa an ice ball, but maybe Adega as planet can be retconned = Kassa or Tarassi?

EDIT: Atlas says Khil settled merakai, Minkring, Shelkonwa, and Purnham same time, but when is this, exactly?