main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    It's possible, but it's also worth noting that the Terrabe sector has been identified as a Freestanding subsector, which was the term used to designate places on the very edge of the map outside "official" borders. Actually, to be more accurate, the Wook claims they're "a term to designate the independent sectors that were not part of the galactic government," which might explain why Jedha is described as an "occupied" moon.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'd add- just because the Empire controls Jedha doesn't necessarily imply that all the space between that world and Known Space is also occupied. Space is big and vast, it's possible that Jedha's ancient history and remote location makes it more like an island on the ocean vs. being part of a contiguous landmass.

--Adm. Nick

DarthJaceus and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    @jasonfry I've been thinking about this for a while: should they ever hire you to write a new Essential Atlas, don't you think it'd be a better idea to make it into several volumes? I mean... You'd have Volume I as a "core" book, containing everything there is to know at the time of its release, and then, every three year or so, a new volume would come up, containing descriptions of additional planets and moons, their respective grid placements and, if need be, new system/sector maps.

Yeah, basically, that's what you did with the Online Companion, but in print. Of course, that would be more expensive and ambitious, but the good thing is that print books cannot be taken offline. Online-only is the bane of reference. Also, releasing additional volumes would be, in my opinion, a better solution than having "updated" or "complete" releases -- because we all know they never stay up to date or complete for very long.

Anyway, I'm probably just dreaming here, but I needed to tell you all the same. :) (BTW, I'm so glad that you managed to sneak a map into Tales from Vandor!)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    DarthJaceus, spicer and Chris0013 like this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I second this.

5. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    That would be awesome -- SIGN ME UP! -- but I suspect something of a nightmare for bookstores, readers, etc. And let's face it, "supplement to map book about made-up galaxy" is getting dangerously deep into niche products.

That said, I have thought about a new-canon Atlas, should Dan Wallace and I ever have the good luck to revisit the book. If you look at Atlas 1.0, most of Part I still works -- the "how the galaxy works" material. To keep it friendly for casual fans, you'd want to expand Part II -- the planet profiles -- to include everything from the films and the major TV worlds. (Including Polis Massa this time, which I still can't believe we forgot.) Part III -- the history -- is what I'd rethink to avoid tying storytellers' hands. My instinct would be to cover big/broad historical trends rather than zero in on specific non-movie campaigns -- offer, say, a survey of galactic exploration, a snapshot of the early galaxy, etc. The "movie maps" still work, definitely. Then I'd explore a couple of areas related to movie/TV material in detail -- say, Hutt Space, Mandalorian Space, etc. And top it off with an updated appendix.

Not too different than Atlas 1.0, I guess, just making sure the history stuff is more tightly bound to something on-screen or so broad that a casual fan is willing to dip in rather than retreating in terror.

And you'd want to wait at least until the ST is done, of course.

But the Vandor note brings up something I'm really happy about -- there's a map in that book that's basically a more-detailed version of the one in the Solo guide. The official guides and Visual Dictionaries have all included maps, and those maps are the same as the Atlas map. So the Atlas's legacy is still pretty solid.

And I haven't stopped logging new star systems or trying to figure out where they go -- new canon's contributed nearly 700 of them. I'm not doing that for my health, but because I have faith that the online appendices and regional sector maps etc. will get updated/continued when the time is right and there's something logical to hook them to.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    With that in mind at least a Vol 1 and Vol 2....followed by some addendums when there is sufficient information provided in Movies, TV and books.

I have been saying since the canon reboot that there is a lot in the old Atlas...and the Essential Guide to Warfare...about galactic history that can be brought over pretty much intact without contradicting the Movies/TV in any way.

DarthJaceus and teamhansolo like this.
  7. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
  8. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Probably a bit too much to ask, but is there any way you could share what sources you haven't logged so we could help log others moving forward? If not , no worries, we appreciate what you do all the same!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    For the new Canon, have you thought about placing planets in completely different areas? I know that Scipio was changed, but has Disney told you to keep everything the same or are you allowed to change it as much as you wish?

10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm tripping over "allowed" a bit because everything I suggest goes through LFL for approval.

Starting over map-wise would have been an interesting idea, particularly given old fan flashpoints like the extent of the Unknown Regions, but LFL already chose not to go that route -- the decision to use the same map in new canon was theirs. Given that, I wouldn't propose wholesale changes and if for some reason I did, LFL would say no.

The Scipio change would have happened even without the Legends/new canon decision. I don't kick myself for the faulty placement because at the time Scipio just seemed like a stray reference and not a future setting for stories. I suspect if that situation came up again there'd be more guidance from Story Group and we'd leave its placement undefined. Which from my perspective is a positive change whether you're crafting stories or filling in lore.

Hope that helps!

Tython Awakening, Gamiel and KamNale like this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @jasonfry, so how did that decision making process reflect in the placement of Kesh? I recall that changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    @jasonfry Was it you who decided to introduce Thape as the Dai Bendu homeworld? If so, why not Ando Prime?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    @jasonfry

Any chance you could give a rough placement for the Mirrin Prime or Gatalenta? They are on my list of unplaced NR worlds and I am dying for map placements. [face_praying]

Also- how crazy is it that in October this thread turns 13 YEARS OLD. Good Lord, it seems like only yesterday you and Dan Wallace were chatting with all of us about placements, ideas, concepts, etc. This might still be the best thread I've chatted in. No offense to my beloved Fleet Junkie thread, but this thread tends to avoid scaling and size arguments. [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Kesh was another example of making a placement before the storytelling was finished. It's too long ago to recall the exact details, but I placed it based on one clue and had to move it based on a much more detailed reference in a later story in the same series.

No recollection of Thape. I suspect that was Dan. Before my conversion experience with The Weapon of a Jedi I tended to leave Force stuff to a collaborator if I could. ;)

Sorry, can't do on Mirrin Prime or Gatalenta. But think I placed them both for an upcoming something.

Yeah, this thread has relatively few hills people choose to die on. Which is a relief.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    An upcoming something? :eek:

Will this something provide donation opportunities for your beer & mortgage fund? ;)

—Adm. Nick

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Since this thread is active again, here is my current list of New Republic members in the new canon:

Core Worlds
    Alderaan
    Chandrila
    Corellia
    Coruscant
    Ganthel
    Harloff Minor
    Hosnian Prime
    Kuat
    Velusia

Colonies
    Abednedo
    Commenor
    Devaron

Inner Rim
    Birren
    Cona
    Riosa

Mid Rim
    Ando
    Bothawui
    Contruum
    Ithor
    Kashyyyk
    Malastare
    Naalol
    Naboo
    Nakadia
    Orinda
    Ottega
    Roche
    Tarsunt
    Uyter

Outer Rim
    Akiva
    Anthan Spire
    Arkanis
    Askaj
    Bespin
    Comra
    Daxam IV
    Jelucan
    Mon Cala
    Nag Ubdur
    Pamarthe
    Quermia
    Rodia
    Sullust
    Taris
    Vashka
    Virgillia
    Yavin IV

Unknown Placement
    Ashaftan (species)
    Candovant
    Frong
    Gatalenta
    Hevurion
    Lonera
    Mirrin Prime
    Orish
    Torphlus
    Ubardia

Potential Members/Controlled Systems
    Garel
    Lothal
    Mykapo
    Onderon
    Pantora
    Telaris
    Ord Pardron

I'd say that the locations of Mirrin Prime (a key NR base), Gatalenta, and Lonera are the ones I'd love to see placed most. The former because it's close to the borders of First Order territory, the latter two because they seem to be very prominent members of the New Republic Senate.

If I'm missing any or anyone thinks I list some in error, let me know!

--Adm. Nick

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's funny you mention that- I was dwelling on the planets from the films the other day, just sort of mentally listing/categorizing them for a potential side project I might do, and Polis Massa was the only one I forgot (until I came back around to the mental list later that day). Guess it is was the right place to perform medical secrets, heh- easy to forget.

I think I can speak for everyone in this thread when I say: Please, terrify us.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I assume the Tico homeworld of Ottomok Prime falls in the "is definitely getting placed officially sometime so I can't talk about it" camp? I've got an RPG campaign I'm working on that could include a visit there, and I'm right now chalking it up as "somewhere in Wild Space." I'd be happy to hear if you have a more specific hunch, though.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m obligated to blame @AdmiralNick22 for highlighting how long this thread has been going for; it has inspired my decision to reread the thread and all manner of likes by me before McEwok dutifully pointed out that I’m liking things from 2005.

Oops. No regrets.

Highlights being Jason blaming his fellow writers for the Killik Sith, a massive debate over the value of completely ignoring the map in Rebellion/Supremacy, and about fifty discussions about how we were going to reconcile TTT’s various placements of things.

The many ‘where is the Pentastar Alignment/Celanon/Salin Corridor’ discussions makes me treasure just how lucky we were with the Atlas when it first came out.

Favourite moment being us trying to work our why @Senator_Clighal placed Atrisia in the Atrivis Sector. Memories.

Also, circa 1/5 of the way through this thread, we had a discussion about what the Moon is called. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In WotC's Unknown Regions they write that the Blazing Chain "is commonly encountered within the galactic disk and surrounding cloud" and I was wondering where/what is the galactic disk and surrounding cloud, because I could not find any information on the Wook?

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Galactic disc: all the galaxy between the Core and intergalactic space, in a narrow plane - where most of the stars are.

"Surrounding cloud" - the halo region - everything above and below the galactic plane - which is mostly a bunch of globular clusters.

DarthJaceus and Gamiel like this.
  22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Looking back, it really has been quite a magical thread. So many awesome discussions and interactions between regular board members and VIPs. The very best that message boards have to offer! :D

—Adm. Nick

23. TheRedBlade

Mar 17, 2007

Fittingly, my copy of Bomber Command just arrived today, and I see that we have placements for both Otomok AND Refnu (and thus, Atterra). I certainly have a clearer sense of where the First Order's borders were now. Great work as always, @jasonfry!

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    My favourite reference in Bomber Command was the sly one telling us that
    Borosk was in First Order space but Cassander was not.

It feels more and more likely that the eight Imperial Remnant sectors = First Order borders in known space... with some exceptions such as Arkanis, I expect (which gives the First Order a platform to maintain territory in Hutt Space, as per the Join the Resistance series), and I expect the Western Reaches to fall within their sphere of influence, and so forth.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  25. TheRedBlade

Mar 17, 2007
    I would suspect that, after the Centrist Secession, First Order worlds were littered across the galaxy. This would give FO ships a reason to travel outside the old Remnant. If they only used old ships for operations around isolated worlds like Arkanis, they could easily pull a "nothing to see here. See? Only old ISDs that haven't been drydocked in three decades. No reason to worry about us!"

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    MercenaryAce and Sinrebirth like this.