main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm aware of it.

2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    regarding Aftermaths astrographic failure... I propose that close does not always have to imply proximity due to distance but rather close as in "can be reached quickly" via established hyperlanes maybe. Say if all those are on or near major or semimajor lanes they could technically be reached by speed of plot (if ROTS and movies are any example) whereas others are indeed harder and slower to get to even if close to each other as in not much distance between them. You could take a quick jump up and down the perlemian but it take you ages to go through uncharted or less well tended space. I am aware that this retcon could refer to close to nearly any known world on hyperlanes, so its not perfect, but it might help.

3. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Daneira, Ventrix and ColeFardreamer like this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Logical placement.

5. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Now they need to do a Ventress on Baatu story... Baatu during the Clone Wars?

I imagined Baatu further out into Wild Space actually myself but I guess this fits too.

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's meant to be the gateway from "civilized" space into Wild Space, so it'd be on the border.

ColeFardreamer and PCCViking like this.
  7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Pretty much exactly where I thought it’d be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since we are talking space here so is it the boarder

9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    For many sectors we got sector or region maps, but:

Which sectors for which we got no detail maps do we know most about, or enough to be able to craft a sector/regional map?

Some stories take place in rather confined spaces or detail entire campaigns within one sector only. Also, which sectors and regions we do have such detail maps of got a lot of new stuff added in Legends or canon after said map that is not shown on it and has to be added to it?

10. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    There's probably enough material to put together a map of the Lothal sector, which I'm going to assume is the Dominus sector in old money.

No reason why a number of the planets first introduced in Rebels can't be located within the Lothal sector - it would explain why the Spectre crew (and then the Phoenix Cell) are aiding/visiting them.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Wasn't Lothal confirmed to be a subsector somewhere or other?

12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    The Lothal sector could be above the Dorminus sector.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I still love that the edge of the Perlemian Trade Route is a hotbed of Rebel activity. Hell, you have Mon Cala (and it's surrounding territories), Telaris, Dornea, Lothal, Garel, New Alderaan, etc. South of the route is a true trouble spot for the Empire to say the least!

--Adm. Nick

14. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    I don't know if the following would be useful for resolving any Astrographical discrepancies within the new "Canon" or if this has already been thought of and addressed in some newer story, but the 2016 Character Guide entry for Tarkin mentions "priority sectors":
    [​IMG]

...if they function anything at all like they did in the EU, these Priority Sectors do not necessarily correspond to regular, fixed Sector boundaries. They can overlap multiple traditional planetary systems and even multiple Sectors. They could be completely unrelated to anything relating to the location of something in the Galaxy and just be various Projects, such as the Death Star Project. They also can be temporary, and thus can be used as a convenient storytelling aid, and also to explain away various issues resulting from imprecise or seemingly inaccurate usage of the word "Sector". A Priority Sector can be whatever and wherever it is needed to be for continuity purposes because that is how they functioned in-Universe for the Empire, and presumably still do in the post-2014 stories.

15. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Don't treat this as an official answer, but I don't see why priority sectors would be defined differently than they were in the EU. If that's the case, yes, they'd work as described by SH and offer those possibilities.

Sinrebirth , SheaHublin and Daneira like this.
  16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Did Tarkin create the role of Grand Moff...or did Sheev do that??

17. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    Tarkin suggested it, and Palpatine formally created the position. Since it was Tarkin's idea, I'd argue that saying he created the role is fitting.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    So I was at Galaxy's Edge yesterday, and played a little of the "Disney Play" app game. I saw that some of the prizes are listed as "Star Maps" of the various defined regions of the galaxy - the Slice, New Territories, etc. Does anyone know if these are actual 'maps' or just collectibles for the game?

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    it is an actual galaxy map split into collecteable parts, each with some planets etc. marked in it even. Together they are a full galaxy map. Funny, Baatu and Ach-To are on the same Unknown Regions piece.

Ventrix and blackmyron like this.
  20. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Any screenshots of this that you know of?

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In SW: D20 RPG Saga ed. supplement The Unknown Regions do they say, when presenting the pirate-nation Blazing Chain that "The far-ranging and splintered Blazing Chain can be found in any part of the Unknown Regions, although it is commonly encountered within the galactic disk and surrounding cloud " and I was wondering what area is "the galactic disk and surrounding cloud" exactly?

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The Unknown Regions includes the satellite galaxies, remember. Which is three times the size of the Known Galaxy when taken together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe it's just me being slow but I don't see how that answer my question

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Presumably, the disc, and the cloud of globular clusters surrounding the disc, are where the Blazing Claw are most of the time - and satellite galaxies like the Rishi Maze, are where the Blazing Claw are only rarely present (perhaps waylaying a Kaminoan clone consignment).

PCCViking likes this.