main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what part of the galaxy is the disc? Or do they mean the whole galaxy since it is usually presented as rather disc shaped?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The spiral arms. The bulge is the Deep Core - people mostly stay out of there because of the hazardous hyperspace routes.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, then I understand.

EDIT: but why is it then called the "galactic disc"? Should it not be the "galactic disc's edge"? Or have I misunderstood what 'disc' means?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The bulge is so small relative to the arms, that the galaxy can be thought of as one big disc, that happens to have a bulge in the middle.

A CD has a hole in the middle - but it's still a disc. The middle is not all that important.

DarthJaceus and Dagobahsystem like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's my point, the galaxy is mostly disc so to say that somebody is found "within the galactic disk" feels to me like implying that they can be found anywhere on the disc, instead of just it's edges.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Would you agree that "everywhere, except the satellite galaxies, and the galactic void beyond" is a good answer to the question of where the Blazing Claw operate?

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Possibly but if it so do it feel strange that they are presented in the Unknown Regions supplement

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Mostly it's because they are one of the few pirate bands daring enough to routinely venture out of the "Known Galaxy" as settled by the Republic - and into the Unknown Regions.

9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

Quite some new hyperlanes for us cartography geeks... from Journey to the Rise of Skywalker Search and Find! Anybody doing an overlay with a proper galaxy map for me? Or marking known locations if anything matches?

edit: Also given its inspired by the TFA movie map, does it match with that one or did the artist recreate it on his own without getting the movie map in clear to use as a base from LFL if such exists?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Daneira likes this.
  10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Update: The map is 100% accurate with lots of previously unknown new hyperlanes added! overlay with Atlas map is in the works and fits like a glove!

Map is 90 degrees turned from Atlas map position. Presented with known galaxy on bottom as in these pages and Unknown Regions cut off top and over the pages edge. Akin to some TOR and FFH book maps and poster maps had the galaxy oriented like this before.

Planets seen not as dot but as planet profile image are in core: Coruscant, Alderaan and Deep Core Byss, in Rim: Yavin, Ithor and D'Qar.

The map shows even tiny sector routes as you clearly can identify the Hapes Cluster, as well as other sectors we had sector maps of by WEG and else.

Seems this all in one map is derived from an internal LFL source I bet, or a fanmade likewise one. I have yet to find/contact the artist for more intel!

I will try an overlay with Atlas map as well as identifying and naming some planets and hyperlanes for easier orientation. But give me a few days!

11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    those aren't hyperlanes, they're sector borders. it's literally just the old legendary canon map turned 90 degrees to the right.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    You could be right now you mention it. I guessed as much at first but was not sure, given some planets seem to be placed on said borders. But as initially said, unreliable book source for a proper map and still nicely accurate despite that. It's special and I love it nevertheless.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Don't look like sector borders to me

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, that map appears to be a mix of showing established hyperlanes, sectors, and territories. I can see the blob that is Mon Cala Space at the edge of the Perlemian Trade Route, for instance.

--Adm. Nick

Daneira and Darth_Duck like this.
  15. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    yeah I'm (embarrassingly) familiar enough with it that I can pick out certain regions. like
    it's a bit confusing because they used the same lines for everything but as Nick said it's def a combo of sectors and major hyperlanes. you can see the spinward & veragi sector up there at the top right, with the gree enclave tucked inside the later and then the sectors of the legendary canon imperial remnant to their immediate left.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    :p

So you are admitting you are wrong calling them all sector borders.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Iron_lord likes this.
  17. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Well now that it is 2020, I figured to kinda bring back this thread. We've seen so many worlds in the comics, I'm curious if we have to wait another 5 years before we get a new essential atlas.

jasonfry and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    I don't think I'd want one for at LEAST another 5 years - The Essential Atlas had almost the entire Legends run to work with. I would be down with an update-able online database or something of the like however.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’ve been very pleased with the Galactic map updates in the VD’s. We get to find out where worlds are placed relatively immediately.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Probably to avoid the Scipio debacle.

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I still need a full map combining canon and legends maps Atlas style... I know of fanprojects doing that but theirs is only online browseable and their download section not updated to feature the latest TROS worlds.

Anybody who can help me out there? Especially the Legends and canon Unknown Regions worlds I need all in one map.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is this good: Interactive map of the Galaxy ?

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  23. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    How are new planets decided? Does the writer come up with it or does the Story Group or someone give ideas or decide?

24. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

this is brilliant, yub but the interactive map is not downloadeable sadly or printeable... the downloads he offers are older versions without the TROS planets!

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    You bring up a good point I didn't see Exegol anywhere.