main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    gaLAXy. LACtose. OK, I can see the connection.

2. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    I'd love to get a homeworld for Lord Farfalla and his "equine" species. It wouldn't surprise me if his family controlled a few worlds in a kingdom or fiefdom etc. The question would be how to identify it if it doesn't already have a name. Will the coordinate system work like "New Zealand - home of the clone army (H 34)" so that some identifier is attached?

~ Eyrezer

3. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, the Atlas will also have individual planet entries, so if they wanted to do something like that they could just give any explanation there and have just a name for the map.

4. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I'd love to get a homeworld for Lord Farfalla and his "equine" species. It wouldn't surprise me if his family controlled a few worlds in a kingdom or fiefdom etc.

IMO, it'd be a neat connection to tie him to the planet Chiron....similar fantasy-esque biology.

(Perhaps ancient Sith experiments?)

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Keep the fantasy freaks boxed up together, eh? Wouldn't be a bad idea.

6. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Lol. That would be one approach. Could have a little cluster with a homeworld for each of the Harpys, Goatmen, Satyrs and Chironians. [face_thinking]

And I had a crazy idea the other day too. This dude could be from Sedesia; after all, a silly hat like that cannot exist on too many planets ;) (admittedly his is metal...)

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    it actually makes some sense for all of Farfalla's knights to be from the same homeworld or sector in a weird way. but I can almost guarantee his as yet unnamed homeworld will not be an inidivudal planet entry. there are only 70 o so of those, and those will be planets significant to the EU, which the unnamed Equine homeworld is not

The planet itself could be called Farfalla. IE, Lord Tion from the Tion, Lord Salisbury from Salisbury, Lord Farfalla from Farfalla.

8. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    I'd like that. Would also make it obvious what was intended.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Technically speaking, Lord Tion would come from the region called "Tion" (whether the Hegemony or the Cluster).

10. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    but his family quite probably originated on the planet called Tion for which the region is named. he himself may be from Lianna, but that depends on whether he = the young man in HNN

another thought. Notron, IIRC the spelling, the human homeworld acc. to the mythology of the vanished human civilization of Seoul. Will Jason and Dan show it as a discrete planet or consider "Notron" simply the Seoulian name of Coruscant?

11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    As drafted, Notron is in the ATLAS. (Walks away whistling idly, ignoring shouts from infuriated audience.)

That's an intriguing idea re Farfalla.

One of the interesting challenges with the ATLAS is how to indicate that Star System X is where Event Y took place, when the location was vague in the original telling. Three examples from the old newspaper strips that are addressed, as drafted: The planet where Luke and Leia run afoul of the Imperial scouts; the planet of the Serpent Masters; and the system where Vrad and the Rebels try to stop the Executor. But there isn't room to spell out in every case that such-and-such happened here so that the connection is clear. Not sure what the perfect answer is, but it's a challenge I've got my eye on as production unfolds.

And now, if you'll pardon me, back to figuring out trade routes....

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    What, it couldn't just be conveniently named Lukeandleiarunafoulofimperialscoutsia? :p

13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Well, one of those three planets has had an official name for some time now, thanks to the Databank (IIRC): the planet of the Serpent Masters was called Ophideraan, a cute name considering that the Ophid prefix refers to snakes, does it not? No sense in not keeping that one. I have enough confidence in Fry and Wallace that they would have remembered this name and used it accordingly, but hey, why not remind them to be sure, eh? ;)

14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >As drafted, Notron is in the ATLAS. (Walks away whistling idly, ignoring shouts from infuriated audience.)<

=D=

TC

15. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    And speaking of, don't you think Fry and Wallace ought to have a small sidebar article in this thing answering why so many planets' names end in the suffixes "-aan," (Alderaan, Tisheraan, Ophideraan, etc.) "-ooine," (Tatooine, Kinooine, Klatooine, etc.) and "-or?" (Endor, Fondor, Commenor, Brelor, etc.) Seems like that'd be a nice little addition, and nothing that a couple of paragraphs speaking about a common species nomenclature for these worlds wouldn't explain sufficiently. The "aans" would all be named by one people with one language, the "ooines" by another with another language, and so on. And it isn't so important to LFL that they would tell the authors to keep it a secret. It'd be a cute thing to address, if only for the sake of completism. What say you, Mr. Fry?

16. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
  17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Re Lourdes, elements of that story are being addressed. (As drafted.) Definitely one of the odder tales of the Star Wars universe.

Good idea re the -ooines and -aans and what-not. I'll file that one way.

Re Ophideraan, actually I'd missed it. That's one fewer error in the ATLAS -- many thanks. (I'd like to think we would have caught it when we go backwards and forwards over planet lists later, but we might not have.)

Oh -- for the curious, there goes Whelori's claim to fame. [face_blush]

18. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Just so that you can confirm the name for yourself, it can be found in the Tanith Shire article in the official site's Database. We're always glad to help, but don't necessarily take our word for it. As Reagan said: Trust, but verify.

Am I to understand that Whelori would have been the name for the Serpent Masters' planet had I kept quiet?

And thank you for the compliment re the -ooines and aans and what-not. I thought it was worth your consideration.

By the way, if I could possibly ask about things which may or may not have been asked before, here's what I'd not mind seeing:

- As someone probably mentioned, a specific in-universe name for the Star Wars galaxy. There must be at least one astronomer that has named the galaxy they live in, after all...
    - A map detailing the names of all the spiral arms and identifying the star clusters and dwarf galaxies.
    - A map detailing all the Imperial splinter fiefs and warlord dominions, re. Pentastar Alignment, Teradoc, Harrsk, Ciutric Hegemony, Kaarenth Dissension, Deep Core holdings, Empire of the Hand, the whole schmeer. Perhaps variants of colors as a way of illustrating the way the borders changed and Imperial holdings shrank (it's done all the time when showing how Hitler's holdings shrank as the Allies pushed towards Berlin; all the German-conquered territories in Europe were colored in shades of red, but the more those territories shrank, the deeper the shade of red became).
    - Text detailing the progress of Republic expansion, with dates more detailed than in the New Essential Chronology (and while we're at it, a specific date for the founding of the Republic more specific than the usual rounded-off figure of circa 25,000 BBY).
    - A complete list of the founder worlds of the Republic (Coruscant, Humbarine, Tepasi and who else?)

Anyway, just my two cents. Hope I'm not getting too greedy ;)

19. Reecee

Reecee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    Oh and Taloraan :)

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    While it's possible that the region might be named for a planet called Tion, it's just as likely it was named so by astronomers, after a family, etc. We've certainly never seen a planet called Tion, and presumably if there was one it would've shown up as being somewhat important in the history of the Tion Cluster.

Looking up info on Tatooine, I forgot this tidbit: NEGAS claims that it became the new main Hutt world... but I have the sinking feeling that this won't be reflected in LOTF (which, IIRC, had the supposedly wrecked moon of Nar Shaddaa (LOTF2 mentions Nal Hutta related to the Hutts, and Nar Shaddaa is still a major smuggling point in LOTF3 - imagine that!)

As long as we're showering Mr. Fry with dema...er, I mean requests;) - I absolutely loved the Greater Javin Region gazetteer put out by WOTC, but was saddened that they didn't include Hoth-related material from the games X-Wing: Alliance and X-Wing. Please tell me you'll be including the Habassans and other nearby systems... [face_praying]

21. ConservativeSoldier

ConservativeSoldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    An absolute necessity. Loved that place in Rogue Squadron.

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Pfluegermeister, you'll get some of the things on that list. I doubt the name of the galaxy will be one of them, though. That's always struck me as one of those "up to George" things, like Yoda's species or the Whills.

Yeah, Whelori was gonna be the Serpent Masters' world. It was also gonna be wrong. [face_tired] So thanks again.

Actually, there is a Tion proper -- p. 36 of Geonosis/Outer Rim.

If you liked Hoth and the Greater Javin, you'll like some of the sections currently envisioned in the ATLAS. And the Habassans will at least get a coordinate placement.

Gotta go to bed. Seven trade routes left to puzzle out for tomorrow night....

23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, the planet's been named . . . but I don't think the system has yet . . . ;-)

Anyway, since it seems relevant to the whole "unnamed Classic Star Wars planets" part of the conversation, I'll point to the "Jarnollen" comment I made on the previous page, in the off chance it got overlooked.

24. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Cool. I always liked the fly-like butler dude. Thanks Jason for the interaction. It's much appreciated.

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    And Lord Hoth from Hoth? [face_mischief]

I'd mention Lord Picutorion and Picutorion, but Jason might throw stuff at me. ;)

*ducks into the undergrowth, and runs for cover*

:p

Farfalla is obviously the family name, though, even if it's also a planet name, inasmuch as the Lord Farfalla who fights at Ruusan is Lord Valenthyne Farfalla.

Crazy name, crazy guy.

- The Imperial Ewok