main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yep, earlier discussion re Jarnollen was noted. And Picutorion is addressed, as drafted. While it can't be the main thrust of the project, I'm hoping the nooks and corners of the ATLAS will be an opportunity to bring some old stuff to light and retcon some of the errors and inconsistencies I've contributed to the STAR WARS universe. (I'm still annoyed at myself for the Sector Zero/Sector One thing, to name just one.)

2. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    So I guess this means no "Whillky Way"?

3. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    as Jason pointed out, there is indeed a planet called Tion Proper. IIRC, it was first named in the Desevro section of GATORW. IIRC, Jason wrote that part, so we have him to thank for its existence;)

The proper name of the Galaxy should be

Galaxy Full of Force and Astronomical stuff

or for short

GFFA

PS The KOTOR Handbook calls Phaeda a "frontier world," giving us a cluse as to the limits of Republic expansion in that direction at the time of Zayne's birth, ca. 3982 BBY.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, well, well... I didn't understand the context of that phrase before - I had thought of it as a region instead of a planet. Thanks for the clarification!
    I'm curious, now, why Tion hasn't had much of a role in the Tion Cluster, though...

See, now you have to make a regional map for the Tion region to clarify things like this...
    ....right? ;)

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

You know what would interesting to see? A starmap on a genuine atlas stand that you can spin around. Coloured, of course. Flick a switch, and the Deep, Inner, Colonies, Mid, Outer and Unknown bands light up.

6. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    some thoughts on places from Legacy books (no Fury spoilers)

Chabin--a GFFA member world with pro-Corellian sympathies

the as yet unnamed homeworld of the new DABI species

Kavan--Hapes Cluster planet where Mara kicks the bucket

Roqoo Depot--space station in the Hapes Cluster

7. ConservativeSoldier

ConservativeSoldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Not meaning to be too technical, but it's Chasin.

8. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    it is Chasin. forgive my typo. Although that same book mispelled Obredaan as Obreedan.

Two questions I would like to see the Atlas clear up:

Kintan is part of Hutt Space, a slave world, but in the Republic comics we see Nikto Senators on Corsucant, perhaps implying a Nikto colony in the Republic.

Toonbuck Toora and Sy Myrth joined the CIS, yet at the end of AOTC we see a Toora look-a-like amongst the Loyalist senators on Palpatine's balcony, perhap implying a Loyaist Sy Myrthian colony.

It would be neat to see these implied worlds somehow worked into the Atlas.

9. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I wonder with Jason confirming that the "mythical" planet of Norton being listed if we are going also see another planet shrouded in myth, that of Andowyne?

10. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Out of curiosity, which region are you placing Moorja? Inner Rim or Mid Rim?

11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I have Moorja in the Inner Rim.

Gotta vote no on Andowyne, though that was a great joke. But if I get my way sharp eyes will spot an Easter egg or two.

Re implied worlds, closing some of those continuity gaps might take a fair bit of detail in a book where word count will be precious. I'm all for retcons when they flow naturally, but that's not always the case.

12. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Obredaan, Obreedan, life goes on...

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Good. It makes Moff Pentrioch out to be a bigger warlord (his holdings running from the Mid Rim to Inner Rim), and we really don't have alot of detail on the Imperial Warlords bar Delvardus, Brill, Harrsk, Krennal, Zsinj and Teradoc. Need more, especially the Moff Committee's territory.

Mandalore Sector + Corellian Sector + Moff Prentioch (as a Moff who vanished from canon) + Bespin + Hoth + Kessel + Tatooine + some of the Core? Never quite sure.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Sinrebirth, are you referring to the committee from the GODV series? I thought they were made up of Grand Moffs only...
    ... on the other hand, I can also see that one could get "promoted" by joining the council.
    "When did they let regular Moffs on the Grand Council?"
    "Who?"
    "That guy, he's just a Moff."
    "No, he's a Grand Moff."
    "How can you tell that?"
    "He's on the Grand Council, isn't he?"

The only problem is that the WEG adventure with Prentioch is set 2 ABE, and I'm pretty sure that Isard killed everyone remaining on the Council (not to say she couldn't miss one or two, though)

15. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    wasn't Disra on that Committee? He certainly survived;)

BTW, how long until we can post "cartobservations" from Jedi vs. Sith here w/o getting banned?

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I seem to recall that the Grand Admiral's were associated with the Council too, like Takel, Tricolous (sp), Pitta and Grunger. And as most of them were warlords in some shape or form, and Pitta and Grunger survived the destruction, a few Moff's could squeeze out. And Disra was, yes.

Disra's holdings confuse me, actually. Somehow he became important enough to be given Triclous' share of the Council, yet remained with a single sector by the end of the war. I would imagine he replaced that traitor he betrayed in Allegiance, too.

To Jedi vs Sith...

Blacked out should be fine, shouldn't it, as long as there are tons of warnings? Because I can't wait to get into the Hundred Year Darkness and it's cartography revealed! Speaking of which, Corbos really needs placing. Inner Rim? The Inner Rim was 'the' Rim at one point, I recall.

I wonder if the Atlas will correlate theories about the proto-Hydian leg from Taris rimward, in comparison to the proto-Hydian leg from Sesswenna rimward (later Eriadu). Would explain alot, I guess, as it's strange for the Old Republic to have a trail of worlds nearly exactly like the Hydian (Taris to Telos to Lorrd (and Peragus)) in what was logically apart of the Unknown Regions at the time.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Go ahead.

18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I don't know if this has been asked before, or if it's even relevant to this thread, but are there going to be planetary maps within the Atlas?

And if so, is there any chance of there being Endor?

And if so, Mount Sorrow?

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I seem to recall that the Grand Admiral's were associated with the Council too, like Takel, Tricolous (sp), Pitta and Grunger. And as most of them were warlords in some shape or form, and Pitta and Grunger survived the destruction, a few Moff's could squeeze out. And Disra was, yes.<

Grunger was in opposition to the Grand Moffs, IIRC.

TC

20. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    o*Jedi vs. Sith spoiler alert!*

SPOILERS AHEAD

spoilers are coming

OLD SITH SPACE
    the Old Sith Empire is said to have 120+ habitable worlds and 1000+ sentient species; rather odd statistics, having so many more species than worlds; does this mean there were an average of about 8 sentient native races per world, or for some reason were their lots of immigrated species competing for space?; were their so many species due to slave "seeding" by Rakata or due to species differentiation from Sith alchemy?

Corbos still unsettled 40 ABY

Horuset system also referred to simply as "Sith system"

the relocation of Sith capital to Ziost was in the wake of Adas's deatj

Ajunta Pall one of the Exiles; slew 12+ Jedi at Corbos
    Ajunta Pall came to Korriban 1st, then to Ziost

Krayis II was already the location of a Sith library before the Dark Jedi Exiles arrived; the Exiles learned much of the pre-existing knowledge of the original Sith from this library

Vjun was part of the Old Sith Empire

Exiles and their descendants built temples on Thule and Dromund Kaas (so these structures are considerably younger than that those on Krayis II and Ziost)

Komok-da--VERY interesting, a member of the original Sith species who is still alive AFTER the demise of Exar Kun! (and supposed Massassi extinction); possible retcon comes to my mind: the old Classic Comics, specifically the Night Beast, indicated some Massassi spaceships had LEFT Yavin 4; could Komok-da have been one of the passengers of these ships, or a descendant thereof?; not that the Great Hunt in Tales mentioned a "half-Massassi" being alive on Korriban

it was a Rakatan artifact that led Revan to Korriban

THE REPUBLIC and THE JEDI
    Jedi origins:
    the Order of Dai Bendu is different from the Ashla worshippers of Tython (we know both groups are ancestral to the Jedi Order, but its not clear how they merged, not even in-universe, as detailed records of Tython survive, but not of the Dai Bendu origins); the "homeworld" of the Dai Bendu is not revealed (could it possibly be Ossus or Utapau?), nor any info on the surviving Bendu Monks from Podracer

Master Sar Agron lived about 500 years before the 1st Great Schism; he belonged to a species Tionne cannot ID (so probably either extinct or from Unknown Regions by 40 ABY); his contemporaries include human Padawan Cope Shykrill (native to Sarcophagus); a Fia Jedi; a Nosaurian Jedi (interesting, since CCW claims it was about 10,000 more years before the Corellians discovered New Plympto--looks like New Plympto may be like Ruusaan, Cularin, and Tatooine, ie, a planet "discovered" more than once over millennia); and Nuck Lyu, Watchman of Esseles (this seems to support the notion Esseles was a Core Founder)

the First Great Schism [order of events]
    1. the War begins

2. Ligjt Jedi Padawan Danzigorro Potts killed his former Jedi Master, now a Darksider, Jook-jook H'brooz on CORULAG, but Blendri (Potts's childhood friend) escapes Corulag with her own Padawan

3. About 30 Jedi and 30 Dark Jedi annihilate each other at the battle on COLUMUS; during this battle, Potts kills Blendri and her Padawan, but is himself mortally wounded

4. Xendor is slain (assumedly on a world other than Columus)

5. Arden Lyn succeeds Xendor as Dark side leader

6. Potts hears the news Xendor is slain

7. Potts dies while making a recording

8. Arden Lyn is "slain"

at one point the Followers of Palawa are said to have been the possible forebears at the Jedi at the Chatos Academy (a lost location acc to POTJB); later, it says the Followers of Palawa originated on the planet Palawa, so apparently Chatos Academy was a place on Palawa; the Followers of Palawa relocated to Bunduki after Palawa was destroyed in a conflict which "may" have involved the Jedi
    this leads to many possible speculations:
    1) Palawa may be in Pacanth Reach near Bunduki
    2) the Jedi/Palawa war which destroyed Palawa may have predated the 1st Great Schism and provided MOTIVE for the Followers of Palawa (led by Arden Lyn) t

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    This could significantly help in explaining the sudden increase in Jedi numbers post-YVW; if the Ysanna were trained and incorporated, they would form a large pool of Jedi available to help boost the numbers to DN-level.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I recall we went from 50 Jedi in 29 ABY to 300 by 36 ABY, per Swarm War, so that makes a lot of sense.

I remember that Grunger would side with Committee if they claimed the Glove, so assumedly he did? He didn't become active again until the Committee was destroyed.

23. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I forgot to mention the Jedi and Jensaarai having an "exchange program"

we already knew about Jensaarai becoming Jedi, but it seems it worked both ways

24. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Really? I've always hoped so! I'd like to see some of the Jedi crafting their own armor as an additional tradition. Likewise with the old Corellian tradition of giving medals to Masters. Why not universalize it in the new Order?

~ Eyrezer

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There should be a reason the Jedi don't wear armor in the films.

26. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Mmmm . . . because they don't want to? It really doesn't come down to anything more than that. They like the monastic, low-profile robes, so they stick with them. They've got enough defensive capability in their lightsabers that they don't mind the loss. Occasionally, when wars start up, they'll put on an armor plate or two as protection becomes a bigger issue.