main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Wish I could take credit for Roon, but it wasn't mine. From GEONOSIS my systems were Bakura, Desevro, Endor, Garqi, Muunilinst, Vorzyd and Yavin.

Muunilinst was a bear. CLONE WARS was being developed while GEONOSIS was being written, so I had to scrap my original idea for the planet, which was that it was an airless world covered with ice, with all life having evolved around volcanic "smokers" in a dark ocean under the ice. (As might plausibly be the case on Europa.) The Muuns had extended the mountainous smokers through the ice and out into the vacuum of space, making them into metal "vault-spires" that linked up with skyhooks and space stations that now formed a ring around the planet. And they'd paid to have themselves bioengineered (by the Kaminoans or Arkanians, I forget which) into creatures who breathed air and could see.

For better or worse I was in love with that, and got very worried about whether it would fit with CLONE WARS. Given my idea, it wasn't really a surprise to learn that it wouldn't work. (Heck, it would have been really startling if it had!) Oh well. The mistake was that I recast the idea (with an homage to CRYPTONOMICON about backing a currency) for one part of the entry, instead of scrapping it entirely and waiting for some other project. Wish I'd been wiser: If you're really in love with an idea, wait for another day instead of running half the idea out there to make yourself feel better.

Plus "Muunilinst" is IMPOSSIBLE to remember how to spell!

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    Well, you still did a damned fine job on the Muunilinst entry. Plus I really liked the entry on Garqi. Something about that world appeals to me. And the art that accompanied the entyr was perfect. Seeing those two little boys running through a field holding X-wings and TIE fighters was something very much of of my own childhood. :)

Do you think there is a chance for another "region" based sourcebook? Like a "Kashyyyk and the Mid Rim" or something like that?

--Adm. Nick

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks, Admiral. That's kind of you to say. My favorite was Desevro because it was a blank slate, but they were all fun.

I don't know what WOTC's plans are these days. It does seem like there's more RPG material on the way, and the new RPGA adventures Abel's involved with seem to indicate there's room for at least some lore alongside scenarios and game mechanics (not that there's anything wrong with those things). So we can hope. I'd certainly love to see one if it were along the lines of the CORUSCANT and GEONOSIS books.

In the meantime, Kashyyyk and its surroundings are given special attention in the ATLAS...

(wait for it)

...as drafted. ;)

4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Desevro was a great entry. The Tionese War is one thing that I would love to see expanation some day. The idea of "pressure bombs" being lobbed at Coruscant and Desevro needs to be explored. A early war being fought up and down the Perlemian Trade Route in the ealry day sof the Republic is too good to pass up.

And more of Kaskyyyk and its neighbors are is always a good thing. ;)

--Adm. Nick

5. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    The Core & Outer Rim Worlds were really great books with lots of detailed information! It's a pity there weren't any about the other regions.

6. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Garqi was indeed a good entry. Jason even named the little birds that landed on Mara''s finger. And Vorzyd remains one of my fav entries because it introduced a bundle of names and homeworld descriptions and info on CSW species previously ignored by reference books and RPG, and which were not even in UAA. Squalris just rock.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2005
    Was the situation of Bakura's status with the NR ever resolved? (I always thought that they had some sort of special status similar to the Hapes Cluster - a "member state" with special privileges much like Corellia had in the OR. Able to have Senatorial representation as we saw in the BFC series, but essentially independent with no military obligation to the NR as we saw in the Corellian Crisis. I also assume that "Bakura" represents the entire Spur).

8. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    I got a question regarding the planet Shogun. We know next to nothing about it, only that it had been conquered by Mandalorians, was the place where Fenn Shysa died, passing the title of Mandalore over to Fett, and was said to have surreal dreamscape landscapes.

Now, when a planet gets conquered, you assume that it is inhabited. So, I wonder, is Shogun an inhabited planet by the post-RotJ time, not just a bizarre rock in space?

Maybe Jason or Dan have an idea... maybe it will even be in the Atlas, who knows? :D

9. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    except if the Bakurans senate thing doesnt involve military obligations, why is their senator on a SECURITY committee? Seems hypocritical.

I think the best fix is that Bakura withdrew from the NR between BGC and TCT, or else made some sort of no-military-obligation clause perhaps as a direct reaction to BFC, or something

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Couldn't it simply be that the Bakuran forces in question were planetary defense forces that the NR didn't have the authority to requisition? Perhaps it's linked to Bakura coming in so early -- they may have granted them a clause providing a certain minimum number of ships for defense against possible Ssi-Ruuvi attack that couldn't simply be pulled away.

11. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    that makes sense. IIRC the HNN, the Old Republic had to pass special legislation to nationalize the Chandrila Defense Force, etc.

12. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Jason, are you planning to place all the planetary systems from Tales comics? If so, I'm curious as to what that would signify for their canonical status.

~ Eyrezer

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    As drafted, something in the ATLAS addresses Bakura's status. Our plan is to include the Tales star systems. To me, that doesn't imply anything about the canonicity of the stories, just their locales.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, like a era specific planterary allegiance map? [face_praying] :D

--Adm. Nick

15. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    No thoughts on this? :(

16. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Thanks Jason.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's been a while since I've read Tales, but wasn't Earth referred to in a couple (albiet maybe not by name)...? :p

18. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Notron is placed--;)

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Our plan is to include the Tales star systems. To me, that doesn't imply anything about the canonicity of the stories, just their locales.<

Does that include the more "out there" systems like Vatleria and Hovan 99?

TC

20. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    [link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jones%27s_homeworld]Something like that[/link], yes

21. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    wow. Vatleria and Hovan 99 don't even register with me, what are THEY?

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Oh, there's an even-crazier system than those two I'd like to sneak in.... :D

23. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    I am so looking forward to this Atlas, it sounds like a great product that you're putting 100% into. I honestly have not anticipated a SW book this much since Vision of the Future.

Quick question, if you can answer: Will we get a location for the dimensional rip that led to Cody Sunn-Childe's City of Dreams?

Thanks, and again, can't wait!

24. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    although the City itself is extradimensional, I agree that the rift to enter it should be shown.

and speaking of Cody, we know he learned force powers on the homeworld of the M'ust race:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/M%27ust

where he fought an important pre-Corellian Treaty battle vs Empire. This important world certainly needs a name. I would assume the rift is near this planet. Now here's a possible retcon: The M'ust live underground on an apparently volcanically active world. Nobody knew about them, it seems, before Cody met them. They lived underground. it strikes me as a possbile retcon they are an unknown second native species of Mustafar (note also the name similarity). What think ye?

25. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Oh, S_C, quick note:

On the last version of your truly godly map, I noticed a couple of errors in the Centrality:

*Misspelling of Rigneldia as "Regneldia"
    *Omission of the Zebitrope system

I dunno if you've produced a newer version since then, but I wanted to let you know just in case. (I'm one of the few experts on the Lando trilogy, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed)

Thanks!