main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    an expert on lando trilogy! hey, please let me know, do you have any ideas of how Centrality systems should be placed in relationship to each other?

2. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Not off the top of my head. Give me a while to skim through the trilogy and related materials and I'll see if I can find anything. :) Just wanted to let you know about those errors.

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hey, post those Centrality ideas here -- through a communications mixup during the ATLAS writing, Dan and I both have hand-drawn Centrality maps. The more the merrier!

4. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    All right! Yay Centrality! The least-written about SW interstellar government ever! *grins* I promise I'll post up whatever I come up with.

Dunno if you saw my previous couple of posts, but S_Cilgahl and I are curious if you're going to show the location of the dimensional rip that led to Cody Sunn-Childe's City of Dreams; and if you can't answer that at this point, we understand. :)

5. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    CSC's rift is another one of those things that might take a fair amount of blocking and tackling to retcon -- when there are no names you basically have to start from scratch and explain the whole thing, which takes a lot of (precious) words. Still, maybe there's a way it can be addressed in the Clone Wars section and/or maps.

There are a ton of Clone Wars references, from historical figures to battlefields, that Dan and I would like to work in. That section is a really big challenge.

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The Centrality got three novels, an entire article, and heavy representation in several sections in Essential Guides. I think the Botor Enclave, the Dawferim Selfhood States, the Induparan Crown Worlds, and the Gree Enclave all would object to your comment. :p

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Botor/Daupherm I think Dan has confirmed (acc to Wiki)

Indupar I am pretty sure is included. I think its on the Ado Spine, IIRC, and I know Jason or Dan mentioned they are doing Ado Spine.

Gree is almost for certain, since Dan made some references to it in NEC

As for the Cody thing, i think it would make since just to label it "City of Dreams" rift or "Sunn-Childe's Rift" and put it near the planet "M'ust Prime"; don't see why it needs explaining, people can just look up City of Dreams in Wookieepedia;) At least put index coordinates if nothing else.

8. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    You mentioned that you'd be covering the Wookiee worlds a bit, so I have a question about Alaris Prime...the in-game text for Galactic Battlegrounds states that Alaris Prime was an undiscovered world/moon in the "Alaris Expanse", implying that it was in newly-discovered space, whereas the game's databank and subsequent works state that it is in fact a moon of Kashyyyk. Does this mean that the Kashyyyk system itself is in the "Alaris Expanse", or that the Expanse is something within the Kashyyyk system?

TC

9. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    I'm also wondering if the lesser-known homeplanets of species from the movies will have their place in the book such as Durkteel, Vurdon Ka, Yuvernia, Roona, Sembla, Pollillus & Wol Cabashh?

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Jason has indicated that it is their goal at this point to at least provide map coordinates for EVERY planet ever named in Star Wars . . . and a lot that HAVEN'T been named, but have been implied by species names and adjectival references.

Though I will point out that the Yuvernian homeworld is Yuvern, not Yuvernia. ;-)

11. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    My bad :p

Well, they sure face an incredible task but it could very well be the best Star Wars book in a long, long time.

12. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I had some AIM/email correspondence with Jason and Dan that lead me to be fairly sure those obscure alien homeworlds are going to be included one way or another

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There seemed to be a discrepancy between Galactic Battleground's in-game info and its database. But later sources seemed to have placed (including NEC, IIRC) Alaris Prime firmly within the Kashyyyk system - as well as the worlds in the Bothan "system" being moved to being in Bothan "space" instead (esp. since we already had names for all the planets in the system...)
    Including details on the Centrality, but no love for the Tion Hegemony-Allied Tion-Indrexu Sector-Keldrath Sector-Cronese Mandate-Thanium Worlds region?? :_|

14. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    TION: maybe this will be a web supplement some day;)

not sure if there is room for this in the atlas, but how does life flourish on rocky planets (ie, as opposed to gas giants) with rings? Take Geonosis and Monastery as examples. Now, on Geonosis, the world is relatively barren, covered in craters, and such life as survives relies on dwelling underground, etc--about what you would expect. I would think most such planets with rings would be frequently pelted by falling debris. So how can some such worlds, like Monastery, be seemingly unaffected, fertile and pristine?

And just how fantastic is it for a rocky planet to HAVE rings? What does this mean? The only planets (I know of) in our system with rings are the gas giants. I know our knowledge of (real) planets in other systems is limited, but I would think a rock world with rings, which have not yet become full-fledged moons, would be too volatile an environment for a sustainedecosystem with multi-cellular, let alone sentient, life to survive.

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Didn't The Clone Wars show Alaris Prime to be in the Kashyyyk system? Or was that even Alaris Prime? I dunno, I found that whole thing to be very confusing.

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Folks!
    Where's Drexel?

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    3141 Chestnut Street.

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Dare I ask if we might see an Oversector map, with Grand Moffs attached? [face_praying]

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

That's... a good idea. I've often wondered about that.

21. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Somewhere in between Yavin and Aduba-3? I'd say its somewhere on the opposite side of Hutt Space from the Core.

22. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Star Wars Galaxy 7 had an entry for Rorr'hn of Drgi. Just wondering if (in draft from) we'll see a planet called Drgi?

~Eyrezer

23. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Oh man! We will really have to change the planet template over there. And this is coordinates for a hoped for number of ~3800 planets. That calls for a new project to update all the entries.

I'm personally interested in the placement of all of those -ooines and -aans because of their similar nature. I theorized that there was some alien connection because its never been tackled before. They're just there without a real explanation. I noticed that most -ooines show up in the Rim and most -aans show up in the Core and Mid Regions.

That's Tatooine, Dantooine, Ventooine, Klatooine, Handooine, Entooine, Cardooine, Mantooine, Minntooine, Reltooine, Sestooine, Sistooine, Vactooine, and Velmooine.

And Alderaan, Aldereen, Falleen, Endoraan, Manaan, Delderaan, Taloraan, Chardaan, Nelvaan, and Tiisheraan. (with -een varients).

And then there are the ones that sound like them. Brintooin, Jandoon, Parshoone, Alvorine, Aviprine, and Humbarine.

I search for truth in canon, as obviously its not going to come from making things up to explain it elsewhere *coughaantooinecough*

(Btw, I will try to get more involved here again. Keep up the good work guys!)

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Has anyone ever tried to count how many worlds we've seen since the Beginning?

25. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    And by the Beginning you mean since the initial shot in A New Hope where Tatooine, Guermessa, and Ghomrassen are present?