main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    An alien afficionado like you? Really? :eek: Get off your duff and go rent the Alien trilogy (not Resurrection) now! Double time it, senator! [face_shame_on_you]

2. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    Does anybody know if they are planning to do anything with the Convulted history of the Barabel Home planet Barab 1? You know how it was "found by the Empire", but how there are mentions of Barabel in the late Old Republic era. There is even a Barabel Republic General in a story set during the Clone Wars.:confused:

3. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Marvel calls the star Aduba a "fourth-class sun"

It would be nice to see the Atlas explain what this term means in a little segment on planet and star classification;)

4. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Marvel calls the star Aduba a "fourth-class sun"

It would be nice to see the Atlas explain what this term means in a little segment on planet and star classification;)

5. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Might just mean it's completely inconsequential, no stellar class system required ;)

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Trying, as promised a while ago, to round up sources I don't have, in case there are star systems hiding in there. Wouldn't want anything to escape the appendix....

WEG
    Star Wars Rules Companion
    Star Wars Campaign Pack -- I have Classic Campaigns, but not this one
    Planets of the Galaxy Vols. 1/2/3 -- I have the Planets Collection, but not these individually
    Tapani Sector Instant Adventures
    Galaxy Guide 1-6, 2nd editions (have 1st editions for all)

Star Wars Kids -- I've seen all the comics, but if there are new star systems and/or significant geographical info in the rest of these, I might have missed it

TESB Official Poster Monthly 1-5
    ROTJ Official Poster Monthly 1-4

Living Force: Murder on the Queen of Cularin

Farlander Papers -- I have the X-Wing Strategy Guide, but not the original FP

For the videogames, I have strategy guides for all, but might have missed star systems merely mentioned during gameplay, etc.

This doesn't address the Fact Files, but I'll consider those another time. If there are other sources out there you fear Dan and I have missed, holler. Help very much appreciated!

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I've recently completed my collection of some rarer stuff: all the Marvel Star Droids and Ewoks comics, the 3-D series, the Science Adventures, Galaxy of Fear, and Star Wars Missions. Let me know if you need anything there.

TC

8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Good on all those, TC. Thanks!

9. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I assume you have The Lost Jedi Adventure Game Book? There's only a couple new planets in there anyways.
    How about the stuff in canon limbo from the rpg magazines like Polyhedron, Shadis, Challenge, etc.?

10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yep, have the Lost Jedi stuff, thanks. (It was fun to reference it in Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds.)

The ambiguously canon stuff is something that's still being mulled.

BTW, if anyone's going to be at Comic-Con, I'll be in a Clone Wars panel and signing at the DK booth. So drop by if you like, or PM me, if you wanna talk galactic cartography....

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    jasonfry:

I will not be making it down to Comic-Con, but any chance you and Dan are going to place the secret hyperspace route from Mon Calamari to the Core that was referenced in Geonosis and the Outer Rim?

Thanks!

--Adm. Nick

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Oooh, I didn't catch any of that...which entry was it in?

TC

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yavin.

I don't think the secret routes will get mapped, but there is a discussion of secret routes that I hope people will find very interesting.

14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Discussion, say, explaining how Palpatine got to Mustafar so fast in RotS? Or perhaps tying in with that one George Lucas quote that the Falcon was considered to be so fast because of its advanced navicomputer?

;)

15. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    In Marvel 17 Luke dreams about fighting slavers in the Styx system. Will this be included in Atlas as real place, or is it just a figment of Luke's imagination?

Also, is Marvel the first to divide the Galaxy into SECTORS and QUADRANTS. All I recall being established in ANH was systems ("then name the system") and regions ("the regional governors").
    sector issue 3
    quadrant Issue 18

I also noticed that Marvel was the first source (Issue 5) to indicate Yavin had 3 inhabitable moons (the germ of the Melodies, Gerbs, and Slith developed in later sources).

Marvel refers to the Core Worlds as the "Central Systems" or "Inner Systems" (would be nice to see these terms used some in Atlas)

many familiar items we associate with WEG actually come from Marvel:
    electro-net Issue 16
    proton grenade Issue 15
    med-pack issue 18
    prefect Annual 1

also note the "slow burn" setting of blasters in issue 11, which seems to correspond to "the burning" mentioned by Daley in HS@Star's End, whciih Daley envisioned as being how Beru and Owen were killed

I still think from the context "fourth-class sun" is a technical term.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I have Planets of the Galaxy 2(I think, maybe 1) and 3, as well as the Collection. I can look again, but I don't think there is anything in those books that is not included in the Collection. If you still want them, I could send them your way.

17. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Jason,
    I've got the Rules Companion. I'll peruse it and see if any new planet info is there.

18. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    "Ever been as far into the Interior as Coruscant?" "Once or twice." It seems like there's a lot of terms used to refer to the center of the galaxy.

19. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    The Rules Companion discusses all the various rules of the RPG and uses the adventures of a Rebel named Erisson Banks as an example each step of the way. The adventure starts on Kwenn Space Station and is a fairly typical one. The introduction to the Capital Ship Combat chapter starts with this:

The Rebel fleet, a motley assemblage of outdated cruisers and frigates, shimmered in from hyperspace at the rendezvous point. Scanner techs immediately confirmed the greatest fears of Alliance intelligence; three Imperial Star Destroyers were suspended in orbit about Heterkus, obliterating Rebel strongholds and cities suspected of supporting the Rebellion...

Some combat scenes follow, starring new Alliance recruit Adar Tallon.

That's it for now. I'll have a little more to post later on.

20. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    of course Central/Inner Systems might be a broader term than the core...it might include the Colonies as well, even the Inner Rim. IIRC, there was some similar term in Cloak of Deception.

Also, in Marvel Crimson Jack talks about the "Black Nebula." I am uncler if this is merely a euphemism for Hell or a real nebula.

21. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Marvel 27
    Leia, "Then I should be seen...and in action! Otherwise I'm no better than the Emperor...skulking in his palace!"

Is this the first canonical mention of the Imperial Palace (and by extension, Coruscant)?

22. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    Will D'vouran, the living planet from galaxy of fear #1 be mentioned at all? Its been years since i've read the book but i remembered the planet being destroyed at the end and then a new, similar planet being found in the epilogue, but the Wookiepedia seems to think they are the same planet. I can't remember, so if anyone does, it might be worth looking into.

23. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    When Luke and Leia first observe the Yavin Storm Corridor created by the Achtnak, they see three moons so close to Yavin Prime there is a natural jamming effect, a phenomenon that does not seem to plague Yavin 4. Is it safe, then, to assume these are Yavin 1, 2, and 3?

also, in Marvel 35 Dark Lord's Gambit, Vader learns Luke's name at last on an unnamed planet where his Stormies destroy a Rebel "refueling station"

what is this planet? Is it Centares?

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Off to Comic-Con in the AM. If any of you intrepid cartographers will be there, drop by the DK booth or the Clone Wars panel and say hey.

Dan and I and the Del Rey folks will also get a chance to chat, which I'm looking forward to. It seems unbelievable, but my co-author and I have never met in person....

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    ok, i combed Wookieepedia for worlds from the Xwing/TIE series of games, here are the results

AIRAM SECTOR (neighbors Elrood Sector)--homeworld of the Airam
    contains:
    Aiquin 4 system
    Bes system
    Elbra system--contains Elbra
    Essebra system
    Gelgelar system--planet Gelgelar detailed in Platt's Starport Guide, homeworld of the Glarsaurs
    Goff system
    Hinda system
    Klaatu system (could this be a Nikto colony?)
    Mobetta system
    Mylok system--contains Mylok IV, homeworld of the Habeen and Nharwaak
    Nocto system
    Rocrin system
    Swellen system
    Ytha'ac system--inc. Ytha'ac asteroid cluster
    unnamed system--inc. Talcim asteroid cluster
    unnamed system--inc. Blair asteroid cluster

ELROOD SECTOR--of WEG fame
    Almaran system--inc. Almar
    Dega system--inc. Dega
    Halbara system--inc. Halbara
    Kuras system--inc. Kuras III, homeworld of the Pulra and Aganof

NEAR MUNTO CODRU
    Argoon--in the Newland system, near Pakuuni
    Pakuuni--in Pakuuni system, near Munto Codru

CRON DRIFT
    AX-235--an asteroid

VILONIS SECTOR
    Belat system--hyperspace transit point

ANOAT SECTOR
    Bettel asteroid drift--Imperial stopover point

BILBRINGI SYSTEM
    Bilbringi V--asteroid, part of shipyards

TAROON SYSTEM
    Bordal
    Kuan

SEPAN SECTOR
    Sepan system--inc. Dimok, Sepan 8, and Ripoblus
    Gerbaud 2

PLOO SECTOR
    Geedon system--inc. Geedon V

CORPORATE SECTOR
    Kalla system--inc. Kalla IV and Kalla VII

TION HEGEMONY
    Orion system--inc. Orion IV

SESSWENNA SECTOR???
    Eidoloni system--acc. to 'pedia, in Outer Rim on Sanctuary Pipeline; the name resembles that of the Eidolon, which 'pedia says was built in Seswenna Sector, also near Sanctuary Pipeline; is this a real or phantom connection?; could the ship Eidolon be named after a planet Eidolon in Eidoloni system in Seswenna Sector?

planets, LOCATION UNCERTAIN (to me)
    Bofa II
    Cificap VIII--near Habassa II?
    Delfii--in Outer Rim
    Denbo
    Destreg system--inc. Destreg II
    Farboon
    Feenicks VI (Feenix)
    Gal Milnor
    Iast system--contains To-phalion Base (and, acc to WEG, Gap Nine)
    Gwar
    Habassa II and Habassa IV--possibly near Hoth?
    Japai system
    Kiilimaar--in Outer Rim
    Nezni system--in Outer Rim
    Kurdin system--inc. Nomlis III (sinc the system is called Kurdin, perhaps Nomlis is a planet and Nomlis III a moon thereof?)
    Omar system--inc. Omar (world where fight with Zaarin--hence Deep Core?)
    Petrakis
    Retep III and Retep V--near Habassa II?
    Saila Na system
    Semag--another battle vs. Zaarin (thus in Deep Core?)
    Sunaj system--inc. Sunaj IV
    Taborin system
    Vinzen Neela 5
    Yrrna system--in Outer Rim
    Yunkor system--inc. Yunkor IX

I know EC says Thrawn defeats Zaarin Deep Core, hence I guess Omar and Semag are there;)

those who actually own the game, feel free to add details and context!