main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    That's not the only new world in the book; for instance, there's also Ord Adinorr.

2. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Rodia is in the Outer Rim acc. to the most recent CW episode. Contrary to all previous EU. Even the Podcast mentions it being (correctly) in the Mid Rim.

Will the Atlas try to reflect this, or just ignore this?

Jason: IN Marvel 11, I found Crimson Jack saying this:

"Solo! My little playmate Jolli said I'd wasted my tracer [ie, tracking device]...said you'd never be stupid enough to stray into my sector again!"

This indicates that on BOTH occassions that Jack boards the MF (Issue 7 and 11), it is in the same asector, and this sector is apparently the operating area of Jack. Might be interesting for the Atlas to identify which sector this is.
    In the same issue, Han tells Jack he's been haunting the same sectors too long, which is why the Drexel system isn't on his charts. This indicates Jack's sector is NOT the sector containing Drexel

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I put it in the Outer Rim for Clone Wars Visual Guide, following the script's lead. Given that the script is pretty emphatic about it, I'm inclined to ooch it over to just inside the ORT for the ATLAS. ("Ooch" is a technical term, you understand.) But hasn't been settled yet.

That wasn't the biggest ATLAS change forced by the TV show.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Let me guess -- Ryloth's going to be in the Deep Core now, right?;)

5. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I guess it shows my priorities that of all the things in CW cartoons the things that bother me most are the Carto mistakes...I keep thinking, that will RUIN the Atlas!

I take it, Jason, your decision is based on the fact (IIRC) the current cartoons have a higher canonicity level than the literature and RPG?

So if Rodia is in OR, does that mean the locations of Falleen and Ando are also changed, to keep the order of invasion by the YVH consistent? Not that its impossible to think of them "backtracking" a little...space is BIG. (10 brownie points for Douglas Adams ref).

A possible thought...considering the generations of books which have placed Rodia in the Mid Rim, is it possible the MR/OR border was CHANGED between 22 BBY and 0 ABY? Do those regional borders even change? I know the OR/Wild Space/Unknown Regions borders change, but that is a different animal altogether.

Jason, as always, I both envy you working on the Atlas as the coolest job ever, and feel sorry for you bc it seems the hardest!

Jason: Is it possible we could have a preview of the Index, or at least a list of which Sectors get specific maps?

6. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Nebula_(nebula)

Acc to Wookieepedia, this is a real place, mentioned outside of Marvel too!

The Atlas could explain why pirates would swear by it.

7. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yeah, I figure the new series trumps what's come before, just as the prequels did. Though my reaction when I read the script and saw "Outer Rim" was not unlike yours. ;-)

I thought of changing the border, of making a Rodia Minor, etc. And one of those things may still happen. But even though it makes me unhappy, I think in the end the least harm is done by simply moving Rodia. LFL, Del Rey, Dan and the ATLAS's map maker may feel differently, though. And YMMV, of course.

For sectors ... you'll get (by my possibly faulty count, since I'm dog-tired) 13 detailed maps of sectors/regions, two of which have been seen before, plus one ATLAS tie-in project for Hyperspace that I'm hugely excited about. Not all of the maps/gazetteers may make the ATLAS because of space constraints, but we'll do our best to find a home for anything that gets cut.

My favorite maps/gazetteers are Hutt Space and the Corporate Sector, the former because it was so much fun to flesh out, and the latter because the map is based on a sketch made by Craig Carey for a WEG project that never came to fruition. WEG played such a crucial role in creating the underpinnings of the EU that it makes me really happy to be able to pay homage to it and the folks who worked on it. By the way, the map of the Hapes Cluster is simply gorgeous.

The ATLAS definitely has brought frustrations with it -- I had no idea it would eat up such a huge chunk of my life, and I live in fear that something new will throw a big spanner in the works. But working on it is a dream come true, quite literally -- I used to dream there was a book like this, and would wake up very disappointed that there wasn't. Getting able to play a role in making it a reality makes all the frustrations virtually meaningless.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Hutt Space, Corporate Sector and Hapes Cluster?

Jason, you may have just made up for not having one for the Tion Cluster... ;)

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just a note, jason, but Karen Miller mentions you in her most recent interview. Praises you a great deal. [face_peace]

10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Nice to hear! I really liked WILD SPACE, and am looking forward to her other books. She brought a lot of depth to the characters, particularly in the flashbacks, and made me think about them differently. That's no mean trick -- particularly once characters become icons, it's very difficult to make readers reconsider them.

Oh, and from an ATLAS POV she was a sport about indulging my geographic nitpicking and mutterings. It's hard enough writing books set in this vast fictional universe without some random person wanting to weigh in on how many parsecs Obi-Wan and Bail should travel on Page Whatever....

11. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Re the Clone Wars:

Did they give any explanation as to why they moved Rodia to the ORT?

Does this also mean that the "Bith system" mentioned in Rising Malevolence located in the Core Worlds has now overruled the Colu system in the ORT?

12. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Oricon, a new "lost" Outer Rim moon mentioned in the recent Sith web enhancement

I think moving Clak'dor to the Core would have much larger consequences than moving Rodia a bit rimward, especially during the CW, when it is supposed to be (acc to HNN) on the Loyalist (Eriadu)/Separatist (Sluis and Sullust) front. I am still voting for "Bith system" bein a coreward Bith colony.

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I don't see any reason Clak'dor has to move. We didn't have a lot of wiggle room with Rodia, or with the upcoming continuity collision I alluded to, but there's plenty of wiggle room with things like the Bith system, the Balmorra Run, etc.

For the record, I really like the new series -- I had a good feeling about it from the scripts, and that's been borne out. Don't know how y'all feel about it, but for me the occasional continuity headache is an OK price to pay for being pretty thoroughly entertained by Star Wars once a week.

14. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Is there cartographical info in the German-language books mentioned in this thread?

15. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeah, Rodia doesn't seem like too much of a problem to me. That whole "row" or worlds in the Mid Rim can be pushed back so Rodia is just over the border, of course at this point Ando and the Dufilvian sector will be hanging out all the way by the Cloak of Sith. Maybe it would be better just to say that the borders of the Outer Rim were "shifted" slightly during the war, like the lines of the Corellian/Duro sectors getting redrawn? I know Clone Wars takes precedence, I'm just loathe to move the planet when we've had years of every source saying otherwise.

I'd rather the "Bith system" be something completely unrelated to the cantina band guys. Not every single little thing has to match up, and it seems plausible to me that the same sound has a chance for showing up in two completely unrelated languages.

16. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I agree with all the points you made, Rogue;)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Short_haul_freighter

Jason, acc. to the Republic comics, people could travel from Coruscant to Felacat in a short haul freighter. Notice the term "short haul." Based on that, is it reasonable to place Felacat near Coruscant?

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Except on holidays.

All that planned holiday cheer ruined by a lack of new Star Wars.:p

18. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Scum and Villainy highlights Point Nadir, a comet/shadowport in the Outer Rim

searching "Nadir" in CUSW, I found these two entries

Epsi Nadir
    This Rim world was the site of an auction house owned by the Most Honourable Guild of Armourers.
    (GG9)

Nadir Corporation
    This electronics and robotics manufacturer was based on the moon Travnin, during the height of the Galactic Civil War. It was unusual in that the entire operation was controlled by droids, with the sole exception of the corporation's personal holo-gear division.
    (CH68)

Notice that both Epsi Nadir and Travnin are in the Outer Rim, the latter in Minos Cluster

is there a connection? What will the Atlas reveal?

19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Anything relevant in that Soulcaliber/Star Wars crossover that came out a while back? The Wookiee plot summary mentions something called the Cowl Crucible, but I don't know if that already existed or not.

Also, this has probably already been answered, but are the planets from the "Design an Alien" contest going in the guide?

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Cowl Crucible is canon, I believe, not being too far from... Garos IV? [face_frown]

Incidentally, Bestine has been moved to the Mid Rim, as of the Force Unleashed Sourcebook. Which is irritating. I suppose it can be ignored, to a degree?

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Unless Bestine plays a big role in TFU that I've missed and is clearly discussed as in the Mid Rim, we'll ignore that one.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Good man. It makes more sense where it is.

23. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    IIRC, Cowl Crucible is near Agamar acc. to HNN website

24. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Jason, is it possible to get an update on the raw number of starsytems (or their equivalents) that you have now amassed? We know it was 3900 quite some time ago. I'm curious to know what it has not risen up to.

~ Eyrezer

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hmm. Let's look.

Which doesn't include some recent things I have to catalog -- Scum and Villainy above, the first two Rebel Force novels, Coruscant Nights III, etc. So will probably be 4,200 or so.