main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Essential Guide to OC's: The Mini Challenge Revival - Prompt the Fourth!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
  2. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    =D= This is what I call indexing!
    I'm simply astounded by the detail that you've put into this new database, Ale.

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Looks like the sock's in good hands. SO the characters themselves won't get an index this time?

4. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    I've got to second oqi, here. Excellent job, ale! :eek: =D=

There's only one tiny bit that sightly bugs me: it's the new forms of the indexed fics, or, mainly the lack of the section "Keywords". When I open an index, I usually search for fics by using Firefox's search-feature, but without the keywords, it's sometimes hard to do so--also because some fics don't even have a summary, and judging by title what it's all about is sometimes hard. And, I'm wondering why you put the list of abbreviations in there, but no keywords-section. :p

This probably looks like there's much more cons then there are pros, but as I said, it's nothing. The index is really Impressive. Most Impressive. :cool:

5. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!

That's something I've been careful considerating to SilSolo, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to keep it organized without negating the "story" part of the index. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Hey Corran, my contention was that a lot of people don't even utilize the "keywords" listing. Most of that is added to the Summary (or the cast of characters, eig: A/P, or angst). As I searched out fics, I added anything that could make up a summary if they didn't have a summary listed (including any keywords).

Those that have blank summaries, or didn't have anything I could add (save for reading the fic itself and summarizing it) I had to leave the summary blank. As people sumbit stories for indexing, they could add any keywords they choose to the summary. I see you're delema using FoxFire, but I'm really trying just to utilize space by cutting out the fat; even though there seems to be a lot of space ;) ; but I can always look to change things.

Thanks again guys, and I AM always open to any suggestion, and feedback. It keeps things healthy around here.

6. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Well, I did use to just list the Characters in alphabetical order and then list the stories that they appeared in. You should be able to find the stuff in teh sokc's oldest posts, but I sucked at organizing and updating and especially sucked at markups. Maybe list the OCs next to every story indexed, like if so and so appear in teh story, list the person under Characters or something?

7. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Indexing is a tough thing to do (as you and anyone else who's done it well knows), and if it were a Character specific thread, such as a Luke Index where you're only concern is one character; it's one thing, but for every single OC out there - if you think about it, it's a daunting, almost deterring task.

But don't think ol' ale as lazy, it is something I would like[/i] to do. To incorporate it, I was thinking to create a database only for OCs that appears in multiple fics; OCs that people has "gotten around.?

If you were to approach this thread as its namesake, the real Essential Character Guides only list the pivotal, re-occurring characters. I know there are quite a few authors out there that use their OCs in multiple fics, and henceforth become "fan favorites.? Perhaps OCs that is part of an epic as well?

Any thoughts people?
    :confused: [face_thinking] [face_idea]

8. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    That'd work.

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I like the idea of indexing OCs that get around, since there are some OCs that show up all over the place, and it'd be cool to find all their stories. :)

10. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Why don't I handle it this way:

We'll try this out for awhile and see how it evolves. If you have an OC that tries to make an apperance in every fic he/she can, like they're trying to make a visit to as many relative's homes as they can on the holidays; then PM to me along with links to any fics they appear in. For now I'm gonna' cap it at 5 OCs maximum ([face_devil] [face_cowboy] [face_alien_1] [face_chicken] [face_pig]) per author and see what kind of list I can put together.

Include the following info:
    Name:
    Homeworld:
    Story appearances:

(with links)

o.k. *1-2-3* Break!

11. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Impressive indexing, ale! I know it's not an easy thing to do, especially not with so much material! :eek:

12. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Hey ale, thanks for the reply. I think you're correct that not many authors are using the keywords, and your explanation made sense. ;) :D

Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from. :D ;)

So, just carry on as you did, and again, great job!

Great idea, I think--no, amazing idea! [face_peace] =D=

This way, you could even further, and for example include other author's OCs in your fics, maybe just as cameos, or, with the OC's creator's permission even as leading figures! :D

Also, you can expect a PM from me rather soon. :p I'm looking forward to where you're going with this, and I know it's definitely in the right hands! :cool:

13. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Just thinking about all the markups necessary for this index makes me cringe. :p The posted is way awesome, by the way. [face_laugh] Great job with this, ale!

Throw me the ball, I'm open! (I can't resist football moments)

14. Luton_Plunder

Luton_Plunder Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 15, 2006
    Wow.

This thread, to use the "hip" terminology that all the kids are using these days, is totally tubular! [face_hypnotized]

My congratulations go out to you, OCDBS - and do pass those congratulations on to your altar ego, Corellian_Ale.

I loves me some OCs, I promise this database will get some good use from me ;)

15. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
  16. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Wooot! Very nice!

17. PHOBSON

PHOBSON Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2006
    Hi newbie here!!

Just submitted my first story and hopefully it'll be up on this amazing index soon.

Listing characters I think will prob work the way shown as it's simple (even I get it) and I'm hopefully gonna have a reoccuring character soon and this would make him easier to follow!

18. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It sounds like a good idea, although I still don't understand how it's supposed to work. Any flashcards with one syllable words for the brain-dead might be helpful.

19. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    There: ! ! ! ! ! ! ! [face_hypnotized]

Oy! You said flash cards...

The OC Database section on the previous page is for the characters themselves, more specifically characters an author has created that appears in multiple fics.

So if an author has characters that are part of multiple OC-Centric stories (a fic driven by OC main characters), then they can add them here. It's kind of an index for an author's favorite OC characters.

In your case, I think, I've been wrong before; that your OCs from Sleeping and Dreaming (plug!) also appear in other stories as well. That being the case you could submit the characters as part of the Character end of the database. I do limit the number of submissions to Five OCs per author, so make sure you really love the ones you send in.

Just PM me the following:
    Name:
    Homeworld:
    Story Apperances:

Sorry, I couldn't find any flash cards.

Wait! [1] [+] [1] [=] [2]

On a seperate note, how many OC authors would like to see writing challenges here, similar to those in the Dueling Circle?

Show of hands!

20. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I would!

And I apologize for not being able to do much for the database, since I, as the original owner, should've done more, but very nice job, corellian_ale!

21. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Ah, I see...well, halfway. Sort of like the OC Greatest Hits Collection (no "Pina Colada Song", though. No one needs Rupert Holmes in their lives).

*Picard voice* "Make it so."

22. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Exactly.;) (although I fancy myself more of an "ale" man)

-The index has received its weekly update with the following stories:
    Someone to Watch over Me by VaderLVR64
    Aether Way by Eldritch (Sean Allen)
    &
    Pouring Fire by newcomer PHOBSON. Welcome buddy!

-Also the Character section has been updated with several donations from that OC-aholic himself: The_Face

-Keep an eye out this coming week for our Numero Uno challenge?

[b]OC Writing Tip #1[/b]:
    [u]Characters need to be flawed![/u] Everybody has flaws, and characters that don't can come across as unreal, and possibly uninteresting. Don't always go for the confident, pretty, and good at sports persona. Feel free to give them bad habits, or insecurities, maybe a physical characteristic you may normally find unappealing. Could their "perfection" be their flaw? Look around you for inspiration; are all the people in your life pictures of perfection, or are they perfect just the way they are; idiosyncrasies and all?

23. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Lookin' forward to that. [face_mischief]

A very good point. That's why I tend to hate several SW canon characters because of their perfection... but then, take Corran Horn: his character is so incredibly written by Stackpole, that you really think you know that guy... he seems to believable, just because of his flaws - those things that make a personality, after all.

But, that being off-topic, I personally should've sticked to this "rule" way earlier... in the beginning of my "writing career", I didn't really stick to that - something I want to improve, now.

That said, I have a general thing to say to everyone: with the idea of the Character Index, another thought came to my mind. I think lots of you know Wookieepedia, here... there's also a Fanon version of this, something that I think is most suitable for OCs: the [link=http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page]SW Fanon Wiki[/link].

You obviously think now "What kind of nonsense is this?" (I thought that, too, when I first hit on the site), but when you think about it, it's more than suitable for the needs of a fanfic author who writes OCs. On the Fanon Wiki, there are lots and lots of really AU and nonsense articles, but the advantage is, that all articles you write there [i]have no single connection to the others[/i]... each author can thereby sort of create his own little index of OCs or events in his fanfics - and nobody's allowed to edit your articles without your permission.

So, to cut a long story short: I think it's great to create profiles of your Original Characters, their history, their character traits etc. etc. - I myself have already created to articles about two of my OCs, and I'll give you one of them as an example: http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Gladus_Tite . You might notice that nearly all of the links in there go to the Wookiee, not to Fanon Wiki, because I tend to stick to canon and continuity as good as possible, and some articles up there are really nonsense, after all.

If some of the writers you might get inspired by this, we could add links to their articles to the Character Index.

Any thoughts about this appreciated. :)

24. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I love Tip # 1.[face_love]
    IMO, most stories are driven more by a character's flaw than by his abilities. If nothing goes wrong, where would the story be?:confused:

I like challenges. Not that I'm doing many of them, but they're so inspiring.:D

25. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Yeah, I think we've all been guilty of that at one time or another.:p

And what's this? Are you pimping sites on my thread C_F?!?! Actually that's not a bad idea, especially if authors have images to go with their OCs.

I myself do the same thing, I have the whole dossier thing...eyes, height, yadda-yadda-yadda. But I also have a short history for each character, nothing too detailed; but hitting the important points of their past, with room to expand later.

If anyone, besides C_F :p, has image links, or decides to create a file in the Fanon Wiki, just PM me a link and I'll annex the character's profile to include the link.

I'll also add the link Corran gave us to the Wiki Fanon to the list of OC related sites at te beginning of the thread.

I'm glad everyone is looking forward to the forthcoming challenges, I just want to give a heads up to the OC Dueling Circle regulars, I know they've been itching for a challenge for a while now. Expect some news, if not a challenge by Monday or Tuesday.

And last but certainly not least, I ammended the Databse to include leiamoody's OC, Nalieza Fejier. Sorry I almost missed that earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.