main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Essential Guide to OC's: The Mini Challenge Revival - Prompt the Fourth!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Weekly Updates:

Hey everyone; I hope you are all enjoying your holidays whatever they may be; just some updates for you.

Added to the story index this week are:
    The Blood of Patriots &
    Guardian of the Stone both by CodyMonKenobi
    &
    Metamorphisis by Raptor517

Over in the [b][color=red]OC Writers Anonymous[/color] oqidaun[/b] has all you OCs making out their list for Santa Clause (it's not too late): [b][color=blue]Tis the season for giving gifts. Write out your holiday list for your favorite OCs (naughty or nice) and tell us what you'd give them for [insert Winter holiday here].[/color] [/b]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/21265079/p102]OC Holiday Wish list[/link]

[hr]

Challenge voting [b]ENDS DECEMBER 28th[/b]!!!!

I know most of you have read the entries, but voting has been [u]extremely low[/u] thus far [face_shame_on_you]...so come on, get those votes PMed to me ASAP!

[hr]

The OC Story of the Month [u]will[/u] be returning in January 2007, so keep your eye out here next year (it's only a week a way)

[hr]

[b][u]OC Writing Tip #4[/u][/b]

[u]OC Darwin-ism:[/u] It's Evolution baby! Characters need to develop, they can't say the same person throughout the whole story. It can be drastic, or it can be subtle, but in the end, OCs need to change, whether it be positively or negatively. After all RL people change based on their life experiences, and so should your fictional characters. You wouldn't have a rebel soldier return home after the war and pick-up right where he left off; his core personality should have been altered from the experiences he received figting the Empire; shouldn't they? What if your special OC just got his/her pilot's license, don't you think they're going to change in some way, especially witha all the new possibilities available to them now?
    Character change has to be inevitable, but how your Original Character adapts is up to you.
    [face_wink]

[b][color=red]Happy Holidays Everybody!!!![/color][/b]

2. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Upping for voting!

I just finished reading ALL the entries, and man, I'm glad I don't get a vote...I'd have no idea who to vote for. They were all so brilliant!

It makes me happy to see everyone really get into this first challenge!

Gotta' PM those votes in though, the voting stops at midnight on Thursday!!!

3. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Well, I didn't get to read, so I can't vote. :( Sorry about that, but I might get to the stories later. The holidays sure have zapped me.

4. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Good Evening!

O.k., so the news everyone is waiting for, the winner of the very first "Essential OC Challenge", I'd like to thank everyone who participated; and due to last minute voting; the votes were VERY close. No doubt to the awesome job everyone did!

I am very proud to announce that the challenge has presented a TIE:

Tainted Outsider by Alley_Skywalker

&

Fever Dreams by emeraldshadow

And to celebrate this monumental event, you two are free to submit you're own challenge; or put your minds together and brianstorm together. Just PM me when you guys when you make a decision (by Monday, no pressure).

Everyone big round of applause please!

=D= =D= =D=

Thank-you to Alley_Skywalker for her latest submission to the index:
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=25841219&brd=10476&replies=0]Peace Under The Mistletoe[/link] by Alley_Skywalker

Remember to help me bulk up the 2007 sections of the OC index this coming year people!!!

[hr]

[b]OC Writing Tip #5[/b]

[u]Honest judge, I'm a product of my environment![/u]
    OCs gotta' come from somewhere, but do they all come from Coruscant, Corellia, or Csilla? How about an environment that the EU has yet to discover? Is where they come from as much as what they are as what they become?

Create a world of OCs! You'll never run out of fun characters to work with!

For those of you who [i]have[/i] created a micro-verse all unto their own for their OC, or just want some inspiration to do so; check out this thread: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/22112407/p1]JMT000's World Builder Society[/link]

It's a whole new [i]World[/i] of possibilities for your Original Characters.
    ([i]ugh.[/i][face_tongue])

[color=firebrick][b]Happpy New Year everyone![/b][/color] [color=darkblue][b]OCs rule in 2007!!! [/b][/color]

5. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Congrats to both Alley_Skywalker and emeraldshadow. =D= All the stories were great and looking forward to seeing what the next challenge is!

6. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    Congrats Alley and EmeraldShadow. I didnt read all the submissions, hence i didnt vote, but the ones I did were excellent, and now they say yours is the best. That is deffinatly an honor with all the talent in here.

7. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    HUGE congratulations to both our winners!! It was very much deserved. =D= I can't wait to see what you two come up with for us.
    And bravo to all who participated. It was fantastic to read all of the entries.

8. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    I am very proud to announce that the challenge has presented a TIE:

Tainted Outsider by Alley_Skywalker & Fever Dreams by emeraldshadow

:eek: :eek: :eek:

OMG! I certainly wasn't expecting this! Thank you so muc! It really is an honor.

Congrats emeraldshadow! *high five*

All the entries were so awesome for the challenge, everyone did an great job=D=

Hmmm...now for that new challenge...[face_thinking]

9. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Congrats, guys! Nice work! I'm proud of you both! =D=

10. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Congratulations to both of you! I'm afraid I didn't get to read any of the entries--or submit my own :_| (You all can thank an insanely busy Christmas break, plus barely going on line at all for that). But I'm going to do my best to participate in the next one. Can't wait to see what it is!

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    SWEET! Congratulations Emeraldshadow! You the man! er...Woman! ;) Excellent fic!

12. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Congrats to emeraldshadow and alley! =D= They're both excellent fics . . . next time I'll remember to cast my vote. [face_blush]

13. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    I can't believe I won! Futhermore, I can't believe I forgot to check the boards for so long. Crazy holidays. Is it to late for me to submit a challenge? If so I understand and I'm sure Alley thought up a great one. (By the way congrats, Alley!*high fives Alley*). If not, I'll think up something and PM it to you later tonight or tom.

14. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Any chance of a new challenge yet or did I miss it?

15. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    The New Essential OC Database Welcomes 2007 !!!

First off, thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread in 2006! Originally I hadn?t expected to debut the OC Database until the new year, but I?m glad my eagerness got the best of me because the first 6 weeks have been phenomenal thanks to you guys. Here?s looking at the next 52 and then some!

Of course, I?d like to kick things off this year with some New Additions to the Index:

Djo-Solo Family Values
    &
    Homecoming both by Jade_Max
    AND
    A Holocron of No Account by RebelGrrl

There?s also some great Original Characters added to the database thanks to RebelGrrl and PadawanKayla!

[b]January 2007 Essential OC Challenge:[/b]
    Also want to thank everyone who entered and R & R the entries to our first challenge in December, I hope to have an equally strong turn-out all throughout 2007.

So without further ado, the co-winners [b]emeraldshadow[/b] & [b]Alley_Skywalker[/b] both submitted the following themes for this month's challenge:

[b]To Love and Be Loved in Return--[/b]
    (submitted by emeraldshadow)
    Your OC works up the courage to tell the object of his/her affection those three oh so difficult to say words and receives no response. How does your OC react?

[b]Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.[/b]
    [i]-Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics[/i]
    (submitted by Alley_Skywalker)
    Base your OC fic on the quote above. You don't have to include the quote in your fic, just sorta? work around it. You can make it angst, mush, etc -- that's up to you.

Please PM me your submissions by the dues date of 1-18. (please see the complete challenge rules on page one of this thread, or feel free to PM me with any questions)

[hr]

Speaking of challenges; [b]The 2007 Dear Diary Challenge[/b]; hosted by the_wandering_shadow is a great challenge for OCs on the Resource Board whereas you create a diary for your character that you?re going to contribute to all year long!

Check it out [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/25809540/p1/?101]here ![/link]

It's a great way to cover some unknown backstory for your OCs.

[hr]

[b]The OC Story of the Month[/b]

I told you I?d be re-instating the OCSTOM started in the George Doesn?t Recognize My Greatness OC Thread?and this year?s VERY FIRST OCSTOM is:

Rogue_Pilot_2347?s [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/22602469/p1]Blade of Flame[/link] : 700 years before TPM a young padawan of Yoda's is sent to unknown space to search out two lost couriers. He stumbles upon a previously unknown system, and a fight between good and evil ensues, involving take-over conspiracies, and slavery.

Please show R_P some love, and join me (nope, I haven't read it either) in making some time in your reading schedule for this great OC fic!

[hr]

[b]OC Writing Tip #6[/b]

[u]Character Association![/u] Now while this thread tries to devoid itself of canon/EU characters, it?s not necessarily a bad thing to have some sort of loose affiliation with the established GFFA. Not every relationship with the ?known universe? has to be labeled as Mary Sue-ish. A trivial interaction with Lord Vader, or a reference to an event in the Saga can be a great tool in establishing a connection with a reader. A couple of OC-Centric stories that accomplish this that stick out in my mind are
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/21040431/?10] Burn! Burn! Burn! [/link] by oqidaun, [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=23722016&brd=10476&start=23736190] Sleeping and Dreaming [/link] by leiamoody and [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/25166482/p1/?0]I, Boba[/link] by MsLanna; all of which are stories I have first hand experience in reading (although I?m sure

16. GraySaberFreque

GraySaberFreque Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2006
    Now that's somjething I'm afraid to do.

Cause I'm bound to represent the cannon characters incorrectly and be flamed.

17. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    GraySaberFreque? I have never ever ever seen any one flamed on the fanfiction boards.
    So don't let the fear of that hold you back. Everyone on here encourages, and and....they're incredible.

The new challenges look fantastic!! Am I allowed ot do one of each if I have time? I don't remember if we covered this yet or not. [face_blush]

18. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Mere_K is quite right my friend, it's all love here! (I know there's an IG-88 fic that you keep close to your heart)

You have the time?!?! I say go for it.:D

19. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    That's why i said IF I had the time :p

Thankee! [face_dancing]

20. GraySaberFreque

GraySaberFreque Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2006
    Thanks, but I'm still afraid of getting the characters wrong.

21. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    Meh, I say: don't be. Just try your best! Everyone percieves characters differently, you know?
    And besides. If you don't try, no, you won't fail, but you certainly won't succeed either. ;)

22. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    This is where a beta reader comes in helpful. A second pair of eyes can help you spot any glaring errors and help you feel more comfortable with your portrayal. I had a beta that I send my Kyp Durron bits to for my non-OC story, and I'm far more comfortable and secure with writing him now than I was before I had the help.

I think there's a topic on the board for people seeking betas. You can always ask someone who's characterizations you enjoy if they'd mind helping you. The worst they can say is 'no'.

23. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    That's just like me. I've gotten better with that over the years. But listen to this one and you'll know true paranoia :p For my diary fic I want at least one entry to feature some OCs that I haven't written in over three years. I wondered if I could still write them. Geez...

Anyway I hope something bites for one of these challenges because I really want to participate.

24. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks, but I'm still afraid of getting the characters wrong

I know what you mean. I'd loe to write some Qui and Xani stuff but I'm too scared of butchering their characterization.

Really Obi and Ani are the only main canon characters that I'm comfortable with, when it comes to characterization. But that's only 'cause I read and write them like ALL THE TIME...lol.

25. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I'll admit that I had a hard time writing Han on certain occasions when I was doing Sleeping and Dreaming. That's probably why it took me over a bloody decade to actually step away from the fear and finally write it. Because I like Han as a character, but I'm not drawn to him in the way that others are. To be honest, I started out as a Luke girl (at the grand old age of four ;)). I didn't like Han until he got frozen in carbonite. Does that sound horrible? Well, fine, but the point is that while it's difficult to write canon characters at times, it's not impossible.

Read as much of the characters' backgrounds as you can (believe it or not, the roleplaying games sourcebooks were a really good inspiration for me in being able to decipher not only Han but also Leia and Luke as well). Watch the movies again, but *really* watch them. I mean, keep rewinding a scene back until you get the feeling of the character you want to write. If you're writing one of the EU characters, you actually have a better advantage because you can keep staring at the written words until that character starts to make sense to you. (You could do this for the Original Three if you want, I suppose, but their characterizations are all over the place in the EU, so I don't know if this would work as well as using the movies).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.