main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Essential Legends Collection Trade Paperbacks Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 2, 2021.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Don't get me wrong I would love for shadows to get a re-release and an audiobook. But I don't think it's likely since Luke has other stories and quality doesn't seem to be the main factor in picking these books.

2. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    crystal star WARU WARU

Fate of the Jedi

Jedi Prince

and other outta print books

if we take Jordan Maison hinting that Dawn Of The Jedi: Into The Void may be in Wave 6

which would probably tie into taika's movie if the tho yor in its concept art is still valid

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Vialco likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bought the Unabridged Darth Maul Shadow Hunter audiobook.

Vialco and AusStig like this.
  4. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Apparently the next Essential Legends have been leaked.

happy to see we are finally hitting the republic commando series!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  5. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Into the void is interesting.

Yoda getting an unabridged audio book is great.

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Two more unabridged audiobooks for us! Republic Commando and Dark Rendezvous! Life is good these days!

I actually have both of those books in hardcover, so the audiobook is very timely!

Between Ahsoka, Mando Season Three, Jedi: Survivor, Spider-Man 2 and the next wave of the Essential Legends Collection, 2023 is looking very promising indeed.

AusStig likes this.
  7. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    This lineup makes it seem like the Wraith books won't be included, or at least not yet. I wonder how long they're intending for this imprint to run.

Vialco likes this.
  8. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Kind of surprised Into the Void is being added to the list as that was a book that came out pretty late in legends run when a lot of folks were getting a little burned out on legends and is a single book that takes place about 15 to 20,000 years before anything else.

Vialco likes this.
  9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    It’s funny that it’s on the list, because I just ordered the original hardcover from Thriftbooks this week. It’s one of the last missing pieces from my perfect Legends Collection. Once it gets here, it’ll sit right next to my Dawn of the Jedi comics.

Which are apparently worth a lot more than I thought now. It’s so interesting how all these old books are suddenly worth so much now that they’re not being printed anymore.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I can see ITV as being an extension of the Old Republic and Bane Trilogy books, thematically speaking. To continue to balance the eras- not to mention it could see potential interest as the next Phase of THR hits. RC makes perfect sense (especially with BB S2 on the horizon) and YDR would probably tie nicely into the Dooku focus of Tales of the Jedi.

Vialco likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    DOTJ specifically cost so much because they weren't in print for long before Dark Horse lost the license. There's basically two extremes for prices with DH trades- the really old ones, and the really late ones. Now of course with Marvel trades are only in print for a limited time, so you get the same thing with a lot more trades nowadays, except the ones they keep printing, which is basically the ongoing series.

Vialco likes this.
  12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I find this all to be so fascinating, as someone who only recently began to collect such things. The SFBC books are even harder to find, especially those that were released late in the run, like Into the Void.

Scourge, The Last Jedi and Shadow Games hardcovers are impossible to find. They all had a very limited run and despite my best efforts, I haven’t found any copies. It took me seven months of searching to find an affordable copy of the Coruscant Nights trilogy. Collecting is a very enjoyable hobby but it can be an expensive one at times.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ugh, been there done that. I try doing Make an Offer on eBay all the time and try to convince sellers those trades they're hawking for $50 contain terrible stories that aren't worth a fraction of that but nope, "collector value" and yada yada.

Sometimes you get lucky though. I got every Jedi Prince book for about $10 total. But now watch, the Essential Legends prints will supplant the older reprints with the Legends banners and all of a sudden those old copies will skyrocket in "value".

Sometimes you have to cut corners. Like, some libraries are willing to part with certain books. You might get their watermark on a page or two, but in my experience they tend to have a lot of those hard to find hardcovers.

Vialco likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I salute you brave souls carrying on the hardcover collector's torch. They were sometimes pricey (or at least, rare and, thus, tricky) to track down even when they were actively being offered. My SFBC subscription stopped at some point (or I stopped paying them or something), so I only got the NJO ones, DNT, Medstar and maybe one other before that happened. Can only imagine the cost now.

Which reminds me that there's probably still 2 late-pre-reboot hardcovers I'm going to have to eventually pay way too much for to finish my standard HC EU collection off.

DHC trades varied- but it was usually "the small ones" that were the rare/expensive ones (Freedon Nadd Uprising and Empire's End), while most of the 4-6 issue collections were common at the time. Haven't looked back at them for awhile though.

Vialco likes this.
  15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    To me, it’s not about the money or the rarity. It’s about what those stories mean to me. For me, Star Wars was a great comfort to me over the years. It’s my passion and my refuge and my treasure. The Expanded Universe was Star Wars to me, even more then the films were. Those books were there for me when I had nothing else. Reading them kept me going when I was ready to give up. At a time when I had almost no friends and was desperately alone, my books kept me company and entertained. In a way, each of those old books are like an old friend to me.

I’ve spent thousands in the past two years assembling my collection of Legends Hardcovers. I don’t mind the appellation at all, but I still think of my books as part of the EU. I have very few hobbies in life, very few treasures and cherished possessions. I’m not into cars or sports or jewelry or a dozen other expensive things that many people collect. To me, these books are my treasures and they mean something more to me than their value on the collector’s market or even the stories they tell.

I guess I really am like Jocasta Nu, in more ways than one.

16. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    And Star Wars was something unique in that it attempted to (and was popular enough to accomplish) tell one cohesive story that was basically an entire universe outside of the movies. I got into reading Walking Dead novels but that fizzled out and they havn't released a TWD book for about three years now. And I havn't even finished the latest one.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    The interconnectivity of the universe is what makes it special for me as well. When I look at my bookshelf I can see the timeline for a galaxy far far away. From the New Sith Wars to the Clone Wars to the Galactic Civil War to the Yuuzhan Vong War to the Sith Imperial War. When Jacen Solo talks about not wanting to be a Jedi in the Dark Tide Duology, I think of the Sith Lord he’ll become over a decade later.

The Expanded Universe is my safe place and it makes very happy to see that it’s still continuing on in the form of this Essential Legends Collection.

18. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Hope they put Talisibeth on the cover!!!

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I would strongly recommend - if you haven't already - looking into the world of used bookstores. The ones around my area always have a ton of SW Expanded Universe novels, softback and hardback. (Although my prize will always be the original edition of The Dune Encyclopedia)

Vialco likes this.
  20. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I definitely have! I found many of my treasures there. A lot of the seeds for my collection came from the used bookstores in my area. Amazon, eBay and Thriftbooks helped me fill in the gaps. Now the collection is nearly complete and I spend my days curating it carefully and adding a few rare items to it. I actually find that Facebook Marketplace is also an excellent source of rare books. I recently found a fellow fan who was selling their entire collection.

I netted the entire SFBC NJO collection as well as the entire Young Jedi Knights series in three hardcover omnibuses. I really enjoy the collecting and hunting aspect of this. The feeling when I find a rare book that I don’t have yet is very gratifying.

blackmyron likes this.
  21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Well the Dawn of the Jedi comics were reprinted in the epic collections.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In addition, I think standalone is a feature and not a bug with a lot of these choices.

A little disappointed they're not rolling straight into the Wraith Squadron books (if ever), I was hoping to eventually have all the X-Wing series on audio.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  23. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Can anyone confirm if the Shadow Hunter reprint includes Saboteur or Restraint? There’s mixed precedent so far with the Essential Legends HttE omitting its short story from the 20th anniversary version but Shatterpoint still including Equipment.

Vialco and Sandervv04 like this.
  24. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    If it has both of those, I’ll actually buy it. I already have the original hardcover so I didn’t think of getting it.

25. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’m still waiting, perhaps with some level of futility, for Outbound Flight and the Jedi Academy trilogy to make it into one of these waves.

Vialco and PimpBacca like this.