main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The European Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Feb 16, 2017.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Ah, Jacques Chirac. I remember when he brought in religious symbols ban 11 years ago.

As I said in a different thread, France has one of the worst records of integration in Europe; its what has led to the riots recently and 11 years ago, too.

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    This is such a calculatingly nasty and devious juxtaposition. People are protesting an instance of rape by police officers, symptomatic of systemic injustice and abuse of power, and she urges people to refrain from protesting out of respect for the police, framing it as if those who protest are opposed to the police as a whole, or against policing altogether. She is deliberately framing it as an all or nothing, us vs them, with us or against us. If you're siding with the protesters, you are ipso facto a thug.

3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    She is also trying to suggest it is really about Islam and not institutional racism within the police force.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Funny how the assimilationist cultures in the West are having a devil of a time with racial disharmony and have such a tightly woven tapestry of shared values. French republicanism informed American republicanism; both are assimilationist over multicultural, and both have significant integration issues.

That's not to imply multicultural societies are free of any strain or stress; just that it is not as pronounced.

yeurgh likes this.
  5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    That's the problem, you could argue, with a republic; the assumption everyone will happily adopt one identity and live happily ever after. In most cases, it won't happen - people will want to maintain cultural heritage and beliefs, whilst being French or American. If the system opposes it, like French Africans of Latino Americans, you'll find those groups will begin to dissociate themselves from the rest of society.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Right, which is why I don't understand taking offense at retaining a benign cultural emblem or practice. Let people speak the language they are comfortable with, cook and eat the food they like, practice their religion in a way that harms no one.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  7. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

It is the bizarre concept that, somehow, multiculturalism undermines the values of the Republic.

8. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016

The French tend to see it as undermining their own culture. Bit daft but they can't help it. They're French.

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News reporting that French police are searching the National Front HQ in Paris in relation to Le Pen's fake EU Parliamentary assistant job.. Nothing further - it's just breaking news.

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Whether this will dent her is hard to tell. Corruption is so common in French politics; the police might as well house officers in each party HQ.

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Isn't culture something that is malleable? What makes the French or Chinese or anyone else think their culture today is the same as it was a hundred years ago...or even twenty years ago?

Ghost likes this.
  12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    France has a history of this, not only with immigrant/post-immigrant populations but also with local cultures and minorities. For instance the way the people from Brittany were forced to assimilate was horrendous (they had signs in shops, administrations etc that read "it's forbidden to spit on the floor and to speak Breton" and stuff like that). France has pretty much taken the notion of a single, homogeneous national identity as the foundation of the nation-state to the extreme. That does come with some positives (e.g. a very strong public education system) but combined with immigration from their former colonial empire and the way they handled it, it's a pretty toxic mix.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    In theory, yes. But national heritage and history dilutes it, in some cases. In Europe, there is a romantic link to our historical past. Of course, though, a minority to take it to blood and soil nationalism.

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    how does the system oppose French Africans ?

15. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Macron takes a hit in the polls after, quite rightly, pointing out French colonial activities were far from saintly.

French voters are so confusing sometimes.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Erm, or Americans?

The idea is not that culture is immutable, it's that the primary identity is Being French and Having French Values. In some cases, as Chyntuck said, they've gone to extremes in support of this. But they still regard being French as the most important thing. You guys aren't that different, in terms of the value of Being American and having American Values.

I think, and I speak not for but looking meaningfully at my British siblings, the beauty of being multicultural is that you have no idea what it means to be <insert that country's name in adjectival form here>.

17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, see France's immigration laws in the 1990s. Being born in France didn't count for automatic citizenship in some cases (i.e born to a foreign parent)

LOL so true.

It's the opposite to being Irish American*

"Hey, I'm Irish, too"
    "But you're 1/28th Irish?"
    "I know. That makes me Irish!"

*Ironically, my Northern Irish blood is mixed with Irish American. We owned land in the colonies

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    and I mean, look at the pomp of those countries. France and America have pompous anthems - revolutionary themed war songs. Yours asks an invisible friend to look after Her Maj (a reasonably request) or in my case, says our country is roundly okay.

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Have you heard the second and third verses? we ask the sky pixie to kill people and destroy governments in her name. It's quite romantic, really.

Regarding the French anthem, at least people stick the revolutionary themes and overthrow the republic when it fails - unlike Uncle Sam and his kids.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but I mean, I support that. I personally wish she'd speed up the timeframe to announce she will live for four thousand years and that the Second British Empire is has arrived, mofos.

Ulicus and DanielUK like this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I've never understood why Europeans have a problem with this. My great grandfather was born in Ireland. My grandfather was born in India (british Raj). If I say I'm Indian-American, there's no problem. If I say I'm Irish-American, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Seriously people.

22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Honestly Lord Vivec, I don't have an answer for you. Just brought up around people, who took offences if you were not truly Irish. Usually it is the Irish ask about your heritage; and, yeah, there is a strong cultural dislike towards Irish Americans.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well as soon as you go beyond half-something ("I'm 1/8th Irish!"), you're really stretching. It's the same here when people have their Irish or Scots ancestry makeup and you're like... they left Scotland 200 years ago mate, pretty sure you can let that go?

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I got corrected on that one several years ago, was told I was not in a position to call myself "Irish-American"; I'm an "American of Irish descent". It's fine, we've been here about 300 years, I get it.

I do argue that my kids are still entitled to call themselves "Italian-Americans" since their great-grandparents immigrated.

As far as the French, interesting about Brittany, that's where I stayed when I spent a month in France. "Breton" was pretty much nonexistent as a language, but the clothing was still presented, albeit not regularly.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I. I don't think this is an inherent problem with "assimilationist" models; French and American racial issues have less to do with assimilation and more to do with racism and otherization of groups that they are unwilling to treat the same way as prior racial minorities, which were eventually normalized after initial periods of intense racism.

II. I wouldn't say that French republicanism informed American republicanism. That's backwards. Additionally, American republicanism is very English in character. Despite fanboys like Jefferson waxing poetic about the French Revolution, that wasn't the model America used. There are basic, fundamental differences, as you might expect between countries founded on a common law vs civil law basis. Or, between Lockean liberty and the Rights of Man and the Citizen.

III. And combining the above points, I think that American and French racial issues are rather different and unique, both coming from different sources and requiring different solutions. Multiculturalism (and I think you overestimate the sense to which the US is a "melting pot" country in the first place) may not necessarily be the answer in either instance. For example, you note that the idea of "being French" is the same as "being American" -- that's not true. The former arose from the French Revolution, and might be the cause of these problems. The latter arose from the Civil War, and in many ways American issues are because of the persistence of pre-Civil War thinking.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Pomp is the answer to all problems.