main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't see the movie, perhaps you will be better off? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    ThreeDeathstickProblem

James Mangold, he who refused to insert Magneto in Logan despite fandom demands. =D= tell the story you want to tell and if you tell a good story majority will love it. You can never please everyone but you won't please anyone if you try to fan-service all.

I think that RO proved that LF is ready to give up some money in order to tell a good story. They could have spared some characters for the sake of selling more action figures in the future but they didn't. If they have a great story that means "no more Jedi going forward" as Artoo-Dion thinks than it's worth the risk and they may create something equally iconic in the process. Exciting times.

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Sure but they have different connotations.

Maybe he's just joshing around. But maybe he's not. I think whatever happens, Luke's new Jedi will have a different philosophy that will see them progress beyond the Jedi to date. This is all in the Bly book that RJ read in preparation imo. This doesn't mean the Jedi and everything about them are junked, it would mean that through Luke, they've grown stronger and wiser than ever. Whether they have a new name or not, this is happening. It makes a fantastic arc of the Jedi from the PT to the OT and across the ST.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I find this very interesting. Both the Jedi and Sith failed and were destroyed. Luke can either continue down that same path (which it looks like he tried at one point) or he can find a new path. This doesn't mean Luke's going to fall off a cliff and die. Luke has always followed his own intuition when others have told him to do it their way and I suspect that's what he's doing now. Finding his own way to bring the Jedi (in whatever form they take) back.

5. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Satipo Agreed with that and great use of Bly. :)

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly this. I think he's found a way to bring the light and the dark into balance - not by destroying or suppressing the other side, but by balancing the two individually. This is fantastic if this is where they are going. It's the next step on from the binary conflict we've seen so far. And we know the story group is seeding new ways of looking at the Force already. If this is what it is, bring it on.

7. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Satipo likes this.
  8. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I just can complain about TLJ if someone brings me the script and I read it (or after December). positivity!
    [​IMG]

Krueger likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly. It's building off the lesson Yoda learned in his last arc in TCW. The Jedi are simply wrong when they try to suppress their own dark sides. It only allows the shadow to grow and control them. Only by accepting the darkness inside themselves and confronting it can they learn to control it. I suspect that's a lesson Luke learned well during his confrontation with Vader and the Emperor.

10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I really recommend reading Bly's little book of shadow or at least checking out the Bly thread. There are loads of quotes that really shed some light on to this as a possible philosophy moving forwards.

11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    So, when the title was confirmed, some people jumped to the conclusion "The Last Jedi = Luke will die". Now that we know what the title means, it was already obvious the same people would jump to the conclusion "The Final Jedi = Luke will die". By that logic, it also means "The Final Jedi = Luke and Rey will die" since we know the title is plural.

Being rational, it can mean a whole lot of things. Maybe that Luke establishes a new order of Force users, which are more balanced between the light and dark rather than the more extreme approaches of both the Jedi and Sith. Maybe something more similiar to the Bendu or the Whills.

Siphonophore and EHT like this.
  12. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I like to think that if Luke left in search of the first Jedi temple, it's not because he was crazy or depressed.....it's because he was looking for answers....and a solution.

I've been saying for years that Luke's legacy will be stronger by the end of the ST.......and one of the reason is that I think that we will see Luke build something unlike anything we've seen in a SW story.

13. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think if you read Bly, there is no way RJ read that and didn't take onboard some of the ideas about the shadow and balance.

14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Listening to the MSW Podcast:

"And I was like, ya know.. I mean, **** yeah dude ya know..I then I was like..and then he was like..**** man etc etc..yaaaaawwwnnn lol

15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    and the Jedi going forward will be called Jedii.:p

16. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    come on guys, RJ's reply is just a joke, seem obvious to me! he's just being tongue in cheek. Maybe he just took 2 seconds to find something funny to say. And if you still doubt about it, come on, do you really think he would spoil his movie in a tweet??? makes no sense, it's just a joke...don't overthink it.

17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's fundamental to Jungian thought and informs a lot of Campbell's thinking, too. That sort of thing is in the Star Wars DNA.

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

Ryanpaulstewart, AhsokaSolo and Jcuk like this.
  19. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    the idea that a Jedi cannot be attached because attachments lead to the darkside was disproven in ROTJ so in a way Luke already built a new Jedi order. i doubt he had access to much of the previous Jedi order anyway

I agree with pablo when he said using the darkside must come with consequences else why don't we have "grey" force users already

i think a new Jedi could be more inclusive, like you don't need to be even kenobi's level. people like chirrut culd be Jedi. maybe anyone could be a Jedi and it's more a matter of study than innate potential. being a Jedi isn't about telekinesis or force manipulation but just accepting it a doing its will

but just labeling the jedi as failed and "moving on" is not cool after we had 6 movies about them, which ended positively for them. i mean nothing in the OT implies the Jedi wouldn't thrive with Luke

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  20. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    If that's a reaction to a juicy spoiler, then I'm all for it. :p Just give us the spoilers!

Darth Caliban and Jcuk like this.
  21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    the thing about Last or Final well thing is there are no Jedis out there besides Luke and Rey so they are both the Last Jedis. Does this mean something new or not? It's still debatable since nothing RJ said is even new.

nightangel likes this.
  22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Does being identified as, 'A Jedi' in new canon (and the current state of the GFFA) necessarily allude to one adhering to the dogmatic view of old? Perhaps Lukes ideal for a new Order, was an Order who's core belief was focused on fully understanding both the light/dark nature of the Force.

23. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    My thought is that Luke never really learned that lesson. And that's what came back to bite him during the years between ROTJ and TFA.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  24. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    There's no practical difference between "Last" and "Final", so if RJ is asked what The Last Jedi means and he says The Final Jedi he's just saying the same thing with a different word. Nothing to get excited about.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Compared to the Jedi of old Luke is still just a novice in ROTJ. I think even though he learned that lesson the hard way he was still too young and inexperienced to really take it to heart and realize it's the foundation he would need to build his Jedi Order on. I also think he's impatience played a role in this. I feel like he probably rushed head long into setting up a new Jedi Order without really taking the time to figure out what that order should look like.

TK327 and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.