main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    In what sense? You are who you are, but how you grow into that, and what you choose to do with it, is up to you.

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    i believe that's more commonly known as, 'pushing the self destruct button'..
    I'd be interested in what ideas you have as to how someone can successfully acknowledge and integrate a dark power?

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I hope they are called "The Knights of Binks.":D:p

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I was joking. I would say there are three choices. Like you said there is bottling everything up and no introspection, then there is accepting who you are, the other would be being introspective and seeing your inner demons and choosing to overcome/refuse to be defined by them. The Jedi ideally are the last one while the Sith are the first, they are nihilistic yet interestingly have inklings of self determinism in that they are about choosing what they want to be though the way they do that actually limits their choices. They say their chains are broken but they really just shackle themselves more.

I think it is important to keep in mind that people do not have easily defined senses of who they really are. People are defined by their surroundings and specific influences as well as their choices. It is hard to talk about one having to accept who they are and learning to work with that when in the end they have the choice to decide who they really are and who they want to be and therefore ignore that. Tabula rasa and whatnot.

5. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    oncafar and Artoo-Dion like this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I see the second and third options as essentially the same.

An example would be someone who gets drunk every night. Integrating the shadow doesn't mean that you accept that you need to get smashed every 24 hours--it's an acknowledgement that you're an alcoholic, and you can then make informed, responsible choices accordingly. Denial of the shadow is, "I'm not an alcoholic! I can quit whenever I want!"

This also goes some way to showing how it's not about being "morally grey".

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I feel like there is a difference. One would be, to use your example, saying "yeah I am an alcoholic but I don't care it is my life" the other is going to rehab. Same basic idea but the action one takes from there is different. Though I think we agree and I am just talking about the next stage of that option. Good example btw. Addiction is a major part of the dark side, Jedi ideally acknowledge the allure but turn away from it and are strong enough to resist while the Sith keep seeking more and more till they are totally consumed.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    An alcoholic isn't concerned with getting drunk every night. Their main priority from the moment they open their eyes in the morning is getting **** faced. Addiction in whatever form it takes can prove to be a truly delibitating mental scar.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  9. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I am going to give Rian Johnson the benefit of the doubt, and assume that he is Trolling with that comment. I don't think Rian/Disney would be stupid enough to kill off the Jedi. And creating some other stupid type of Light/Dark Force User combo is stupid as well. [face_plain]

10. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Being The Final isn't all that bad according to TV Tropes. Like the Final Girl:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalGirl

The simplest definition of this is "the last character left alive to confront the killer" in a Slasher Movie. The character in question tends to follow a certain set of characteristics. The most obvious one is being (almost) Always Female. Especially in older works, she'll also almost certainly be a virgin, remain fully clothed, avoid Death by Sex, and probably won't drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, or take drugs, either. Finally, she'll probably turn out to be more intelligent and resourceful than the other victims, occasionally even evolving into a type of Action Girl by the movie's end. Looking at the Sorting Algorithm of Mortality, you could say that the Final Girl is a combination of The Hero, The Cutie, and the Damsel in Distress - which obviously gives her a very low deadness score. The Final Girl is usually but not always brunette, often in contrast to a promiscuous blonde who traditionally gets killed off.

It's also interesting to note how the Final Girl can be interpreted in film theory. On one hand, the character seems to be the living embodiment of stereotypical conservative attitudes of what women "should be". On the other, feminists have noticed that through this device, the males in the audience are forced to identify with a woman in the climax of the movie.

The character is ultimately the last one left to tell the story.

So there you have it. Final isn't about dying or whatever, quite the contrary.

cwustudent, DarthIshyZ and oncafar like this.
  11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm sorry but how is it stupid? For me the Jedi have always gone hand in hand with the Sith. Thing is? there are NO more Sith.
    Only Darksiders with Snoke, Kylo and the Knights of Ren. And the light with Luke Skywalker..So, wether you like it or not, Luke is not powerful enough

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  12. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I transcribed some stuff from NTIP that adds to the ongoing discussion:

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/03/episode-172-makingstarwars-nets-now-podcasting/

oncafar likes this.
  13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    my overall feeling, which i can't really be swayed from this one so easily, is that TLJ and ultimately this trilogy will explore new things regarding the force. i don't care if the term "jedi" continues to be used in that i'm sure the jedi themselves went through changes over the thousand(s) of years they existed. the english language for instance (as all languages) has evolved a lot over time, but it still has a name to basically identify it. so i don't care what they are called and "jedi" is fine. but i do think there may be significance in 'the last jedi' because the old way (of the PT) needs to be overcome with a new way. there is more to the force most likely than what the jedi or the sith alone have represented (their polarity). a new sort of balance is on the way, is my general sense.

but what is luke in this transition? many founders of religions actually sit in between the old way and the new way. later in history they come to be associated with the new religion that arose because of them, but at the time they may have seen themselves as part of the old religion. luke may be a bridge between the old way and the new way. rey may be the first of the new way. still, luke can represent "the last jedi" in that he closes the old books essentially through his evolution of discovery regarding the force.

luke already began this when he *saved* vader rather than killing him in defense. he chose a higher compassion. a truly compassionate person loves their enemy and sees their value as a living thing, even if that enemy is utterly wicked.

Siphonophore and Birkendoc like this.
  14. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Not morally grey. Pragmatic.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well RJ I think clarified things with his tweet

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/839300875545780224

16. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Whatever new order they have, I hope it's better than the Jedi who keep producing darksiders like Dooku, Vader and Kylo.

Edit: Well, produce is such a harsh word. I mean molding force users who keep getting persuaded to the darkside.

17. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    If I was named Dooku I would turn to the Dark Side too. What a poodoo name.

11-4D and oncafar like this.
  18. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    sterling3763 likes this.
  19. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
  20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
  21. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    We should enlist the detective skills of Jid123Sheeve on this case.

Siphonophore and cerealbox like this.
  22. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

Synonyms, eh? Oh well...

Back to the spoiler drawing board.

23. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    Wake up this morning to find 10 pages of debate around the definition of "Last" and "final"

[​IMG]

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's not like we are the same person or anything :p

25. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.